RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Roof cross bars with panoramic roof.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-23, 08:52 AM
Pierre2023
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof cross bars with panoramic roof.

My dealer states that roof cross bars cannot be used with a panoramic roof. Is this correct or has anyone used cross bars on a panoramic roof without any issues?
Old 04-30-23, 01:40 PM
JohnPDX
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pierre2023
My dealer states that roof cross bars cannot be used with a panoramic roof. Is this correct or has anyone used cross bars on a panoramic roof without any issues?
See this earlier thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ispreloading=1

It's for a prior generation of the RX but covers the topic in some detail. On earlier versions of the RX with a panoramic roof, dealers routinely echoed what your dealer is telling you. That didn't stop some owners from finding novel ways around this limitation.

Last edited by JohnPDX; 04-30-23 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pierre2023 (05-01-23)
Old 04-30-23, 02:36 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Some cars simply cannot be fitted with the pano roof and roof racks. But Thule and Yakima make all sorts of hotch-mounted things like ski/snowboard racks, etc. Now if you could only get a hitch...
The following 2 users liked this post by Eagleboy99:
FordBoy33 (12-30-23), Pierre2023 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 09:20 AM
Pierre2023
5th Gear

Thanks for your comments. I did find someone who installed Thule crossbars with a panoramic roof. I was hoping to determine if Lexus’ reluctance to do so was structural or safety related or simply functional ie roof cannot open. The reason for my inquiry is that I find the trunk space limited and I would want to use a roof box/carrier when on road trips. I would remove the carrier and possibly the crossbars when not required. I could live with not opening the roof but I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the safety of the occupants if this caused a structural or safety risk. Does anyone know if crossbars cause a structural or safety risk with the panoramic roof?
Old 05-01-23, 11:17 AM
JohnPDX
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

[size=16px]Does anyone know if crossbars cause a structural or safety risk with the panoramic roof?[/size]
Did you read the numerous posts on this topic at the link I posted above?
Urlik (05-01-23)
Old 05-29-23, 04:40 AM
fsalinas
1st Gear

Thanks for your comments. I did find someone who installed Thule crossbars with a panoramic roof. I was hoping to determine if Lexus’ reluctance to do so was structural or safety related or simply functional ie roof cannot open. The reason for my inquiry is that I find the trunk space limited and I would want to use a roof box/carrier when on road trips. I would remove the carrier and possibly the crossbars when not required. I could live with not opening the roof but I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the safety of the occupants if this caused a structural or safety risk. Does anyone know if crossbars cause a structural or safety risk with the panoramic roof?
Hi, please can you put the model of the bars you installed

Regards
Old 05-29-23, 12:57 PM
Pierre2023
5th Gear

This is what I found on the internet.
Thule 7047 Fitkit, Thule Evo Fixpoint, Thule Evo Wingbar Silver 118, on 2023 Lexus RX.
Old 06-01-23, 09:30 AM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lexus.ca website acts differently now, you can't add the cross bars to a trim with the pano roof anymore, but you could when I ordered mine, it'll be interesting to see what happens whenever it shows up since it's in my config summary from when I ordered.

Now if you go to the site it won't give you the option if you have a pano roof trim level, and if you change from a model without a pano to one that does have a pano, it removes the cross bars (and doesn't it you just change to another trim without a pano roof.

Last edited by MrBiebs; 06-01-23 at 09:32 AM. Reason: image didt work
Pierre2023 (06-01-23)
Old 06-01-23, 01:10 PM
Pierre2023
5th Gear

Thank you Mr Biebs. If you can please let me know once you take possession of your vehicle if the do provide the crossbars and if they do, if they negatively impact the opening of the pano roof.
Old 06-08-23, 11:08 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has pano roof and come with roof rail, it will be silly if can't install cross bars lol, I think most likely is you can't open the rood when the cross bar is installed
Old 07-12-23, 12:07 AM
ragnarok01
1st Gear

I am doing a research for my RX500h roof bar options and found this thread.

This is what I found on the internet.
Thule 7047 Fitkit, Thule Evo Fixpoint, Thule Evo Wingbar Silver 118, on 2023 Lexus RX.
If you got this information from https://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-...ions/lexus/rx/ --- I think the images were for a NX not a RX --- check its c pillars.

FWIW, I think there are two options:
1. Try the Lexus OEM Rx Crbr (PT738-48900) --- it's not expensive and potentially return-able to your local parts store.
2. Thule is now showing "fit confirmed" roof bar options for 2023+ RX 5-dr SUV, but it's not available online yet: https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...xed%2520points

I mainly want to put on ski and bike racks --- nothing really heavy like a box. Will wait a bit for anyone to try out the Thule solution.
Old 07-12-23, 10:31 AM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ragnarok01
I am doing a research for my RX500h roof bar options and found this thread.

If you got this information from https://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-...ions/lexus/rx/ --- I think the images were for a NX not a RX --- check its c pillars.

FWIW, I think there are two options:
1. Try the Lexus OEM Rx Crbr (PT738-48900) --- it's not expensive and potentially return-able to your local parts store.
2. Thule is now showing "fit confirmed" roof bar options for 2023+ RX 5-dr SUV, but it's not available online yet: https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...xed%2520points

I mainly want to put on ski and bike racks --- nothing really heavy like a box. Will wait a bit for anyone to try out the Thule solution.
This from the Thule specification page for the exact 2023 RX rack linked above:
"Cars with sun roof: Due to the racks' low fit on the vehicle, it may not be possible to open the sun roof when the racks are installed. Please check clearance before opening your sun roof"

Old 08-01-23, 10:40 PM
ParkCityLexus
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Roof rack for panorama glass roof?

I have a 2023 350h with a panorama glass roof. Roof rails are included as part of the package, which is ironic because the Lexus crossbars are incompatible with the glass roof. I believe the crossbars will work as long as I don't open the roof. I need the crossbars for a ski rack in winter. Does anyone with a panorama roof have a ski rack? If so, is it aftermarket with a high enough clearance for the panorama roof? Is anyone risking it by using the Lexus crossbars?
Old 08-02-23, 05:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkCityLexus
I have a 2023 350h with a panorama glass roof. Roof rails are included as part of the package, which is ironic because the Lexus crossbars are incompatible with the glass roof. I believe the crossbars will work as long as I don't open the roof. I need the crossbars for a ski rack in winter. Does anyone with a panorama roof have a ski rack? If so, is it aftermarket with a high enough clearance for the panorama roof? Is anyone risking it by using the Lexus crossbars?
My 2016 has the same issue. I went through the trouble to find something that worked, but ended up using the inside of the car for a ski bag. The rear seats are 40 - 20 - 40 split.

You can lower the center section only and run your ski bag through it, while still carrying 4 people and all the gear in the car.
Old 08-02-23, 05:32 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe the issue with the pano roof is the foot on the crossbar(s) has to be quite a bit taller; ran into this with my daughter's Tucson and we had to wait a bit for an OEM set of bars to become available- hers was the first year of that new body-style, too. I do know there were a couple of instances where pano-roof people put the standard bars on and accidentally cracked the glass when they opened it up all the way.

Quick Reply: Roof cross bars with panoramic roof.