RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Add advance park option ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23 | 07:18 PM
Bentru
Rookie

Question Add advance park option ?

Hello,

i am Canadian and I ordered in November 2022 a RX350h, trim is ultra-luxe (premium + in USA)

Last week i call the seller that I will change to the top trim as Executive, only to have the Advance park option, here in Canada is about $4500 more for this package, cannot add a specific item.

My case is the seller call me 2 days ago to tell me my car is coming and should be delivered in July ….well if I want the executive model I might have to wait almost a year….this can be ok and I guess I will receive a 2024 model.

But to make it work with the seller, I ask if the dealer can add the advance park option later during the year and I will take the car in July

my question is …. the dealer able to install the advance park option….I guess they won’t accept and they will say…, it can only be done in factory but for what I read on the web, this is possible to do.

Do some of you have an idea about this option if it can be install by the dealer ?….or if an aftermarket product is an option…. I found a company in Maryland STEER Tech that seem to have a nice product.

any input will be appreciated

regard’s

Last edited by Bentru; 09-04-23 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-07-23 | 05:48 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Bentru
Hello,

i am Canadian and I ordered in November 2022 a RX350h, trim is ultra-luxe

last week i call the saler that I will change to the top trim as Executive, only to have the Advance park option, yes it’s about $4500 more but budget is fine

My case is the saler call me two days ago to tell me that the ultra luxe car is coming and should be delivered in July ….well if I want the executive model I might wait and another year….this can be ok and I guess I receive a 2024 model.

But to make it work with the saler I said if you can add the advance park option I will take the car in July

my question is …. the dealer able to install the advance park option….I guess they will don’t want and they will tell it can be done only in factory but for what I read on the web, this is possible to do.

Do some of you have an idea about this option if it can be install by the dealer ….or if an aftermarket is an option….and I found a company in Maryland state STEER Tech that seem to have a nice product.

any input will be appreciated

regard’s
This can not be added. There are many, many parts and computers required for this feature to work. I would NOT allow any aftermarket company get into the complicated systems of this car

I didn't think there is that long of lead time for executive package RX350h. How many months did your dealer say?
Old 05-07-23 | 06:36 AM
winpakbob
Driver

​Honestly, unless you have real difficulty parking yourself, the advanced park feature is really not very good. It is way too slow to do in a situation where other drivers may be waiting for you to park. The 360 camera system is much more beneficial to help with manual parking in my opinion but even without that feature the 14" screen and excellent backup camera is excellent. So while I agree advanced park is a cool feature, I have found it not usable in most situations due to the very slow functionality (in my opinion). Enjoy you new RX, whichever version you chose!
The following 4 users liked this post by winpakbob:
Bentru (05-11-23), Boobirdus (12-06-23), FMY421 (05-07-23), ggebhardt (05-08-23)
Old 05-07-23 | 06:50 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Originally Posted by winpakbob
​Honestly, unless you have real difficulty parking yourself, the advanced park feature is really not very good. It is way too slow to do in a situation where other drivers may be waiting for you to park. The 360 camera system is much more beneficial to help with manual parking in my opinion but even without that feature the 14" screen and excellent backup camera is excellent. So while I agree advanced park is a cool feature, I have found it not usable in most situations due to the very slow functionality (in my opinion). Enjoy you new RX, whichever version you chose!
Lexus needs to step up their game regarding this self--park feature; it's reported all over the net that this is next to useless.
If lexus can improve OTA, only then is it a consideration.

The following users liked this post:
Bentru (05-11-23)
Old 05-07-23 | 08:38 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Hello,

i am Canadian and I ordered in November 2022 a RX350h, trim is ultra-luxe

regard’s
We were told in January when we ordered the 350h premium+ (that is one level above base for this market) it would be three months. No vehicle in sight and the 2024's are coming out soon. Your delivery time lines up with what we were told for the upper level trims. In fact, the top, top-end trim here was supposed to take well over a year.
Since it takes 17 hours to build a Lexus, I have to wonder what is the holdup?
Bentru (05-11-23)
Old 05-07-23 | 09:20 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Must be parts. For the Luxury (US) trim, maybe they don't have the seats for it, or some of the other options they put into the highest end trims. It's clear from my shopping experience, at least for the Northeast USA, Lexus isn't making enough Luxury trim examples. Too many Premiums and Premium+. Perhaps they believe their pricing demographic tells them that their US customers won't pay over US$60K for this car, but that should be a regional calculation. In the high income northeast for example, the dealers just don't have enough Luxury trim level 350s to go around, but have a lot of unspoken for Premiums and Premium+s.
Old 05-07-23 | 02:22 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Do some of you have an idea about this option if it can be install by the dealer
Can you have it put in by the dealer? As they say: With time and money, anything is possible. But should you have it put in by the dealer? Probably not.

We have it on our Luxury RX350h that is incoming. The reviews on the amount of time it takes are pretty horrible. If it's anything like the one on our Ford, I wouldn't plan to use it unless you're parking with no one else around.
Old 05-07-23 | 04:49 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I have it and agree with the others: it’s pretty useless at best and scary at worst.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
Bentru (05-28-23), ggebhardt (12-05-23)
Old 05-11-23 | 01:26 PM
Bentru
Rookie

thank's for the input, i decided yesterday to go with lexus that is coming in July, so not advance parking option….for what i read all over the web is unanimous as a nice feature but useless. The dealer don't want to install this option….Well the dealer don't work too much for the customer, all the cars are still selling very well. The seller just sit in is office and the customers are in line ….so no effort to do more, if it's not me another will take the car.

Enjoy your new futur RX, let me know when it will be yours and your honest opinion on the advance auto park….

regard's

Last edited by Bentru; 06-06-23 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bentru:
Urlik (05-11-23), winpakbob (05-12-23)
Old 12-05-23 | 07:47 AM
unmesh59
2nd gear

Someone on Reddit (who has since been banned!) posted that Advanced Park also provides some sort of view of cross traffic vehicles when stopped at an intersection and they found this more useful than auto park.

Anyone have experience to share regarding this?
Old 12-05-23 | 07:48 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Cross traffic alert hasn't saved me from anything I hadn't already seen. It would prefer I waited for a vehicle to completely clear my forward area before I lift off the brakes as well.
Old 12-05-23 | 08:03 AM
unmesh59
2nd gear

Thanks, @Urlik

The videos I've seen of auto park felt like it was a gimmick and most RXes near me don't have that option.
Bentru (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23 | 08:27 AM
jaxn1010
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by unmesh59
Someone on Reddit (who has since been banned!) posted that Advanced Park also provides some sort of view of cross traffic vehicles when stopped at an intersection and they found this more useful than auto park. Anyone have experience to share regarding this?
Yes, advance park does include a front cross-traffic "clear" alert - I believe it uses the radar/sensors from both the panoramic cameras and the lane change assist systems as well. I find it mildly annoying and have turned it off. It essentially says "ding ding - hey driver, you are stopped at an intersection and have your right turn signal on; traffic is clear from the left so go ahead and proceed with your turn". I'd call it a nanny feature...
Old 12-05-23 | 09:24 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

It has additional sensors that also work during manual parking. I park in a tight garage and having these sensors is actually nice, compared to my other car without the additional sensors.

Are they necessary? None of the gadgets in any of the modern cars are necessary, just nice to have. My 1989 Civic with manual transmission, windows and 1 outside mirror got me from point A to Point B; same as the new RX. Just this one is nicer and more convenient.
Old 12-06-23 | 01:26 PM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

I park in a tight garage and having these sensors is actually nice,
I hate when the sensors slam on the brake when entering our garage with 7.5 foot wide doors. I wish I could turn them off easily.

You can turn off the warning sound but not the sensors...

Quick Reply: Add advance park option ?