RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Standard vs ML sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 08:27 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

DM Sound reviewed the ML system in the TX here:
He seems to notice that same harshness between mid and treble that some of us here complain about. Now this is a TX and not RX but I suspect the underlying system is identical with maybe slightly different tuning, all but the rear speakers are basically in the same spot as in our RXs. Overall he gave it an A (some comments saying he was too generous based on his comments in the video) but said it has no Wow factor and was a step down from ML in older models. I thought it was interesting that he preferred the sound with surround set to on rather than off, I had actually switched to it being on a few months ago myself and left it.

Last edited by Urlik; 04-03-24 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CCGS (03-22-24)
Old 01-26-24, 11:56 AM
Hilltop
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The base sound system is made by Panasonic.

Last edited by Hilltop; 01-26-24 at 12:04 PM.
CCGS (03-22-24)
Old 01-26-24, 03:22 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 511 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by aeromarkco
Based on a previous recommendation I turned off the “surround sound“ setting…it sounds better.
Thank you. I listen to audiobooks and the surround was causing strange and distracting sound variations.
Old 01-26-24, 05:44 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by WellsB
Thank you. I listen to audiobooks and the surround was causing strange and distracting sound variations.
yeah, surround would be horrible for audio books or pod casts.
Old 01-27-24, 06:08 AM
BytesU
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not in love with the RX's standard sound system either but its hard to compare to the JL Audio that I have in my Tundra. I like my sound clear with my lows tight but not enough to spend big bucks to change out the RX.
Old 03-21-24, 10:28 AM
TruthBalance
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any difference in sound quality if you use a data cord?
Old 04-03-24, 12:53 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

took a luxury for a test drive and put the ML through some songs.... I think its a step back from the ML system in my 2018 RXh. Soundstage is hollow and the low end just isn't very good.
The following 2 users liked this post by jugdish:
BLUKTY2 (04-04-24), Urlik (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 01:30 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
DM Sound reviewed the ML system in the TX here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWpHT0iAY4
He seems to notice that same harshness between mid and treble that some of us here complaint about. Now this is a TX and not RX but I suspect the underlying system is identical with maybe slightly different tuning, all but the rear speakers are basically in the same spot as in our RXs. Overall he gave it an A (some comments saying he was too generous based on his comments in the video) but said it has no Wow factor and was a step down from ML in older models. I thought it was interesting that he preferred the sound with surround set to on rather than off, I had actually switched to it being on a few months ago myself and left it.

Didn't watch the full video but on the Surround comment, I'd have to agree. Had a 2016 GS before my now current 500h and sound was terrible when surround was turned on but with it off it was amazing. In the 500h, seems to sound better with Surround on. Have to give the ML more time but not as impressed as I was in the GS but maybe had higher expectations as the RX is 8 years newer and has more speakers and wattage!

Urlik (04-03-24)
Old 04-04-24, 07:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumr13
Didn't watch the full video but on the Surround comment, I'd have to agree. Had a 2016 GS before my now current 500h and sound was terrible when surround was turned on but with it off it was amazing. In the 500h, seems to sound better with Surround on. Have to give the ML more time but not as impressed as I was in the GS but maybe had higher expectations as the RX is 8 years newer and has more speakers and wattage!
I find the ML in my ES is best with SURROUND ON - many others think not. We bought our new RX sans ML and the system sounds just fine to our ears
Old 06-11-24, 07:56 PM
AudioDriver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your system sounds better with surround off, IMO, the source material is likely old tech. Including CD’s. At some point, iTunes began upgrading its content for modern systems. It may sound like sacrilege, but save the old “better quality” source material for what it sounds good on. And buy the new tracks from iTunes. They are remastered for these modern systems. As is the CarPlay feature. And even the latest Bluetooth.

Yes, we’re getting screwed having to buy new phones. And having to rebuy songs we already own. But you always get screwed trying to get better sound.

You know they’d figure out better ways to screw everyone. This is how.

Turn surround back on. And buy new equipment and songs.
Old 06-11-24, 10:47 PM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tidal as a source

Just started experimenting with Tidal via CarPlay as a source. Pretty impressed so far, and I am listening to music I know extremely well. I have the ML system and have been pleased with it, but not blown away. Until now. When configured correctly I believe Tidal offers far higher quality than any other option, including Sirius. I’m thinking the source has to be great to get the ML system to show its stuff
jamesss711 (06-12-24)
Old 06-13-24, 08:42 PM
tolson37
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the base system sounds great - whether Sirius XM, Apple Music, or FM Radio (ESPN). My other vehicle is a 2023 Ford F150 Tremor with the B&O upgraded system - my Lexus sounds just as good as the upgraded F150 system. I also typically use wireless Apple CarPlay. Works great.

I typically listen to Rock, Jazz, and some Pop.
ColoradoDavid (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 07:58 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
When configured correctly I believe Tidal offers far higher quality than any other option, including Sirius. I’m thinking the source has to be great to get the ML system to show its stuff
I’ve never heard anyone call Sirius high quality. It’s not even close to lossless music. Streaming Sirius is better than satellite for quality though. I’ll stick with my FLAC files on USB.
ColoradoDavid (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 08:01 AM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Sirius lulls folks because of the relative ease of use, variety, etc. But it is really subpar compared to FLAC or higher bitrate sound like Tidal. I had forgotten the difference until I started experimenting with Streaming Tidal as a source.

Last edited by ColoradoDavid; 06-14-24 at 08:47 AM.
Urlik (06-14-24)
Old 06-16-24, 08:38 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
Sirius lulls folks because of the relative ease of use, variety, etc. But it is really subpar compared to FLAC or higher bitrate sound like Tidal. I had forgotten the difference until I started experimenting with Streaming Tidal as a source.
Sirius is like <128 kbps. And it's also moot to listen to lossless in vehicles due to road noise. Lossless is better experienced on home audio or head/ear sets (wired).
EBone (07-02-24)

Quick Reply: Standard vs ML sound system