RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Issue with dash separation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 05:09 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Just curious... what size screen is on the ones that are failing? 14"?
Now you have my curious. Why are you thinking the screen size could come into play? My thought would be that even though there are 2 different screen sizes, the surrounds they are mounted in are the same size and mounted the same to the dash..
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 05:53 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

You guys made me check ours...

Our black-leather trim seems to be secure.
ggebhardt (06-07-23)
Old 06-05-23, 03:48 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like it doesn't matter if it's the 10 or 14" screens:

As you can see, even their "pre-production" model had the issue and they did not fix it (or notice it). But it's very obvious when you sit in it because the clips are neon green yellow. Hard to see on the video due to bright sun and the contrast, but the piece is definitely not even with the upper dash trim and sinking down half an inch.
Urlik (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 04:19 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

from factory

clips visible for both driver and passenger

added felt tape to increase friction, helps a bit

what the tolerance SHOULD look like
lxs99 (06-08-23)
Old 06-05-23, 08:43 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine is loose also, not quite entirely fallen down, but not tight like the left or right side. 2023 RXh Luxury Macadamia interior that just made it off the train at the beginning of May. I'm already waiting on a new driver's seat cushion cover due to a rip found in it on delivery. I'm sure I will be persona non-grata when I show up with this issue. I'll probably wait to show them once they finally get the bottom seat cushion cover in stock. People in the RX Facebook groups have posted similar pictures already too.
Old 06-06-23, 06:11 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 272 Posts

Seems to be very sloppy workmanship and quality control at the factory if these cars are getting out with this problem, that is visible even at delivery.

Even that clip design looks poor to me - it looks like it just wedges into the attach hole, I see no positive locking mechanism that is part of the clip itself, just a piece of extruded plastic. Normally to remove this, you need a trim removal tool that depresses a locking tab to release the clip - this thing looks like you just pull it out of the hole.

I always had my doubts about cars built anywhere in North America, this confirms it. My recent last cars have all been German, and one from South Korea. My friend had a Mexico made VW a few years back - really bad assembly on various trim pieces in that one.
Old 06-06-23, 06:26 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I always had my doubts about cars built anywhere in North America, this confirms it. My recent last cars have all been German, and one from South Korea. My friend had a Mexico made VW a few years back - really bad assembly on various trim pieces in that one.
Almost certainly the Japan built models use the exact same fastening system. There is no reason to design two different pieces for that. It's either marginal engineering work or a supplier not meeting spec on the fasteners.
Datanator (07-09-23)
Old 06-07-23, 07:28 AM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Really didn’t know I had this issue but sitting at stop light this morning noticed it. 350h luxury with macadamia interior. Coincidentally have 5000 mile service Saturday. Called and had them add this issue to 5k service. They acted surprised but I told them it was pretty common. My experience with issues like this over the years is that service always acts like they have never seen the issue.

Mine is garage kept. I have been in the mountains of NC since April 1. It is generally only parked outside for 30 minutes or so while making grocery store runs, etc., and we haven’t hit 80 degrees yet, so doubt it is heat related.
Old 06-07-23, 07:45 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

I wonder how they are going to fix these - unless a TSB has been issued and some part change to the clip is available, what are the dealers going to do? Just fix it like we see here on this thread, wrapping a piece of velcro around the clip to make it larger and have more grip when it slides into the hole? That may be fine as a temporary fix, but its not going to last.

Indeed, service always thinks the customer is dreaming up these issues - its every brand that does this, not just Lexus. Worked well in the pre-internet days, now the customers know more than the dealers do.

I wonder if there is a quality control hold on these cars now over this - my car was built on 5/16, no sign of it yet in the delivery/shipment flow.
Old 06-07-23, 12:16 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Had my 6 months service a week ago and had them look at this. They ordered a new panel that arrived today. They are aware of the issue. Don’t know what panel they are replacing, but I will ask tomorrow. When I picked my car up last week one service person said he had seen this before and Lexus replaced the clips but that did not work, so now they are replacing the panel.
Iheartmyrx (06-07-23)
Old 06-07-23, 09:03 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I wonder how they are going to fix these - unless a TSB has been issued and some part change to the clip is available, what are the dealers going to do? Just fix it like we see here on this thread, wrapping a piece of velcro around the clip to make it larger and have more grip when it slides into the hole? That may be fine as a temporary fix, but its not going to last.

Indeed, service always thinks the customer is dreaming up these issues - its every brand that does this, not just Lexus. Worked well in the pre-internet days, now the customers know more than the dealers do.

I wonder if there is a quality control hold on these cars now over this - my car was built on 5/16, no sign of it yet in the delivery/shipment flow.
Unfortunately it does happen with every manufacturer, luckily it's a Lexus and not a Tesla. But like any issue, more people need to contact them and make dealers/Lexus aware of the issue so that a TSB can be issued.
Old 06-08-23, 03:07 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Had the dash fixed today.. The invoice said the upper garnish was replaced, this must be the leather strip. Most likely because they had to remove the center console and head unit. But the leather strip is now tight and secure, time will tell. Here are the before, after and invoice pictures.

Before

After

After
lxs99 (06-08-23)
Old 06-09-23, 03:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Why would they remove the center console and head unit?
Old 06-09-23, 07:01 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Makes no sense.
Old 06-09-23, 07:58 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Why would they remove the center console and head unit?
The leather strip is embedded into the dash at the bottom, so they would need to remove those in order to replace that one piece.
Urlik (06-09-23)

Quick Reply: Issue with dash separation