RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Issue with dash separation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 08:17 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 272 Posts

Messy, a lot of the dealer techs do a sloppy job reassembling interior trim pieces (broken clips, misalignments, etc). Hopefully it will be OK and you won't be left with new problems or dash rattles.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (06-13-23)
Old 06-09-23, 08:53 AM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

If they have to remove upper dash and head unit then it's almost not worth the potential damage they may cause. I was hoping it would be new modified clips as a solution..
Old 06-09-23, 09:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhill
The leather strip is embedded into the dash at the bottom, so they would need to remove those in order to replace that one piece.
If they have to do that to my vehicle, I would rather run a bead of PL200 adhesive if my dash started sagging. These techs have never taken a 2023 RX apart or put it back together and not sure if I want them doing mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggebhardt:
lexusnyca (06-09-23), SoCalRX (06-13-23)
Old 06-09-23, 09:56 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

There has to be a better way to reinforce the existing clips. Is Lexus going to issue 1000s of replacement trim pieces to fix this problem?

The other solution here - velcro. Some velcro strips top and bottom at a few points along the piece, then reseat it. Velcro is removable at least, not a permanent adhesive.
Old 06-10-23, 06:58 AM
js6543md
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How big a problem is this, looking at buying one soon. Should I wait? Disappointing for sure that Lexus would release a car with
this issue
Old 06-10-23, 07:14 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by js6543md
How big a problem is this, looking at buying one soon. Should I wait? Disappointing for sure that Lexus would release a car with
this issue
I wouldn’t wait because of something like this since it doesn’t effect the operations of the vehicle. It’s a cosmetic issue you may or may not have and they’ll repair if necessary when the car is in for regular service if you don’t mind waiting.

Last edited by Urlik; 06-10-23 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 02:42 PM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

So I took my vehicle in for the sagging dash issue and the 5000 mile service. The service advisor told me they were very familiar with the sagging dash issue and the fix was to replace the clips with stronger clips. When I told him I had read the fix was to replace the panel, he said they had tried that and since the replacement panel used the same clips, that did not work. He said no one had returned their vehicle once they replaced the clips.

I took a quick look at the dash when I left, and it seemed OK (but honestly I don’t know that I would ever noticed the issue without having read about it here) and I felt confident there was a good fix for the problem. About half way home, the light hit the dash just right and I could easily see the same gap that existed when I took it in this morning. I have no idea if that is what it looked like when I left with it, or if it fell on the way home.

I texted the service advisor and told him the fix didn’t work and sent him pictures. His only response was that I needed to come in when the shop foreman was there. I’ll just wait until the 10000 mile service. Not that big a deal to me but it needs to be fixed and a little disappointed that the service tech didn’t ensure the fix was not done properly (understanding it may not really be the service techs fault).

photos attached

ncRXhybrid (08-19-23)
Old 06-10-23, 03:28 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Wow. My car pickup is coming in the next two weeks, I'll look out for this.
Old 06-10-23, 06:01 PM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

At first they said they were going to replace the panel, but they ended up replacing the "Upper Garnish" (see the invoice above). Three days later and no problems so far. When I picked up my car from service a week ago, the person who checked me out said they had tried replacing the clips previously in other cars, but were now replacing the panel. My surprise when they replaced the garnish instead.
Old 06-11-23, 01:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I do not see that the panel needs replacing. It method of attaching it does.
Old 06-11-23, 03:48 AM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhill
At first they said they were going to replace the panel, but they ended up replacing the "Upper Garnish" (see the invoice above). Three days later and no problems so far. When I picked up my car from service a week ago, the person who checked me out said they had tried replacing the clips previously in other cars, but were now replacing the panel. My surprise when they replaced the garnish instead.
Hmmm… Thanks for the clarification. Not exactly sure what the upper garnish is but I’ll show your repair ticket to my Service Advisor when I go back in for the 10000 mile service. By then, hopefully Lexus will have come up with a consistent fix (and maybe this is it), which will be in several months for me.

Yours looks great now. If it happens to begin to fail, if could let us know, that would be appreciated.
ggebhardt (06-11-23)
Old 06-13-23, 03:11 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Checked my friend's 350h this weekend, delivered in March - it does not have this problem.
Old 06-14-23, 09:36 PM
Iheartmyrx
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally took mine in for the 5k service, after having to reschedule my initial appointment. They are replacing the upper garnish on mine as well. They had to order the part, so it’ll be a few weeks I imagine. Glad they’re just replacing it as opposed to trying some other fix.
Old 06-15-23, 08:32 AM
Sandia
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Separation

We also have this issue, 2023 RX350h Luxury Matador Red/Macadamia/Bamboo with delivery late April. Issue first appeared this week (mid-Jun). Scheduling dealership visit now, they claim to not be aware of this issue. Referred them to this forum.
Old 06-15-23, 03:03 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandia
We also have this issue, 2023 RX350h Luxury Matador Red/Macadamia/Bamboo with delivery late April. Issue first appeared this week (mid-Jun). Scheduling dealership visit now, they claim to not be aware of this issue. Referred them to this forum.
Unless it's some widespread TSB, they often say build issues are "first time". Mine was built 4/23 as well RX 350 AWD Premium. I'm iffy about them tearing up the whole dash, so I'm going deal and wait it out and try some DIY stuff first.
ggebhardt (06-16-23)

Quick Reply: Issue with dash separation