RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Issue with dash separation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 02:49 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
They haven’t sold Yugos for years.
Sarcasm is not our long suit I take it? I just don't think anyone who buys a car for 65-100K should have to glue it together like a Lego kit YMMV
Old 07-20-23, 07:36 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flexem350h
I just don't think anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to buy a car for 65-100k should care about it that much. If it was interfering with the functionality or safety of the car maybe. And it actually might be fun to try and MacGyver it back in place the way it should be. In the big scheme of things, who cares. I barely notice mine.

How did some of these people react when they read about the RX air bag recall the other day? Take a sedative?
I think people have expectations especially with the brand itself since their reputation has been built on quality, perceived or otherwise. For 65k+ from Lexus, I would not expect this sort of obvious defect. Remember, this to many people is an aspirational product, and in terms of expense, only behind that of purchasing property. Trying to fix it is one thing, but have you had friends sit in your brand new Lexus and point out a loose trim that their 30k Hyundai wouldn't even have?
The following 2 users liked this post by Wait4Vtec:
Dogill (07-22-23), Eagleboy99 (07-21-23)
Old 08-02-23, 11:49 PM
Iheartmyrx
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got my dashed fixed this week. They replaced the upper garnish. But it sounds like this fix may only be temporary. Our service advisor said that while it’s been working for the 5+ RX’s she’s had in to have it done, the problem appears to be happening a lot and because of that Lexus may possibly issue a recall for it in the future.

That said, I’m so glad it’s fixed and it looks great.
The following users liked this post:
im333 (08-03-23)
Old 08-02-23, 11:50 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was fixed. Dealer added new clips.
Old 08-06-23, 04:05 PM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Just wanted to share an observation regarding this issue. Mine has been fine so far. Mine was manufactured in May. My friend’s was made in late November. His was fine till he took a trip to Phoenix Arizona for a couple of days 2 weeks ago then it happened. So heat has a lot to do with this issue. I guess the clips can not stand 120 degrees heat and probably inside the car under the sun would go north of 150 degrees.
the dealer fixed it once and happened again. Now his is fixed for the 2nd time. Let’s see how it holds up!
Old 08-08-23, 09:57 AM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
Just wanted to share an observation regarding this issue. Mine has been fine so far. Mine was manufactured in May. My friend’s was made in late November. His was fine till he took a trip to Phoenix Arizona for a couple of days 2 weeks ago then it happened. So heat has a lot to do with this issue. I guess the clips can not stand 120 degrees heat and probably inside the car under the sun would go north of 150 degrees.
the dealer fixed it once and happened again. Now his is fixed for the 2nd time. Let’s see how it holds up!
Mine failed with no heat at all. In the winter.
Old 08-11-23, 11:09 AM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok, I get it, don't think we should have to mess with our $65k vehicles. I am not suggesting anyone do this unless like me, 1) you are comfortable doing it, 2) you don't want the dealer to remove the dash components to replace this part and still not have a fix, and 3) your curiosity got the best of you and you are looking for a non gooey, non destructive potential fix for this minor annoyance.

So, what I did was to cut some copper wire into small pieces so I could insert it under the "crook" in the yellow clips that would make the clip a little thicker and stronger at the point where it is trying to grip the insertion hole. I thought that just putting a piece of foam tape or something in this same area would not allow enough flexing in this "clip extension" so I did not try that seemingly simpler fix. So far, the piece has stayed in place and I did not spend a lot of time on this. So following the attached photos, I cut a piece of 14AWG solid copper wire about 3/4" long. Then I bent it into a "hog ring" so it could be put in the crook of the clip and not fall out when I was inserting it back into position. I only did this to two of the clip locations (near the center of the piece) and so far it has stayed in place for two weeks now. So, a MacGyver fix it is, but it didn't cost anything and I did no cutting or gluing on my baby. Hope this helps those adventurous souls out there that want to give it a try.

The following 5 users liked this post by winpakbob:
Dogill (08-18-23), ggebhardt (08-12-23), KennyE (08-11-23), RolfK (08-11-23), Urlik (08-11-23)
Old 08-11-23, 11:49 AM
KennyE
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

If mine comes loose I'm definitely trying this. Thanks for the pics and comprehensive instructions.
Old 08-11-23, 01:49 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I also would do this before I let the tech tear my vehicle apart.
Urlik (08-11-23)
Old 08-11-23, 01:55 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 272 Posts

Wow, McGyver level techniques here!
Old 08-11-23, 02:41 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

It wouldn't surprise if Lexus eventually figures out an actual replacement clip fix. Nice job with the McGyver fix!
winpakbob (08-19-23)
Old 08-11-23, 08:28 PM
BLUKTY2
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

winkabob:

Well done sir!
winpakbob (08-19-23)
Old 08-11-23, 08:43 PM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
It wouldn't surprise if Lexus eventually figures out an actual replacement clip fix. Nice job with the McGyver fix!
Agreed, I really think that's all that is needed here and you definitely would not have to take the dash apart to replace the clips. One can hope...
Old 08-12-23, 11:08 AM
TheOA
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
Unless it's some widespread TSB, they often say build issues are "first time". Mine was built 4/23 as well RX 350 AWD Premium. I'm iffy about them tearing up the whole dash, so I'm going deal and wait it out and try some DIY stuff first.
I’m on my 5th visit for replacement of clips. It keeps splitting open. I bought a glue that’s supposed to be incredibly strong and withstand the elements. That may be my DIY to solve this :/
Old 08-12-23, 11:12 AM
TheOA
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
If they have to remove upper dash and head unit then it's almost not worth the potential damage they may cause. I was hoping it would be new modified clips as a solution..
Originally Posted by DuhItzDustin
I just got my 2023 LEXUS RX 350 last week and am noticing dash separation as well. Has anybody got this resolved at the dealer? Also, if I go in for a fix at the dealer, can I go to any dealer? Or would it have to be the dealer where I bought the car?

Ive went to get my dash separation fixed literally (and I mean literally) 5 times. It just keeps opening again. I don’t know if they have a game plan to fix this since it’s such a new model. I also have the rx350 premium AWD.

Quick Reply: Issue with dash separation