RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Issue with dash separation

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 01:30 PM
Dogill
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great idea regarding the wire on the clip. Although my glue solution is still working, this is obviously much better. Keep us posted how it's holding - and thanks.
The following users liked this post:
winpakbob (08-19-23)
Old 08-18-23, 03:49 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by winpakbob
Ok, I get it, don't think we should have to mess with our $65k vehicles. I am not suggesting anyone do this unless like me, 1) you are comfortable doing it, 2) you don't want the dealer to remove the dash components to replace this part and still not have a fix, and 3) your curiosity got the best of you and you are looking for a non gooey, non destructive potential fix for this minor annoyance.

So, what I did was to cut some copper wire into small pieces so I could insert it under the "crook" in the yellow clips that would make the clip a little thicker and stronger at the point where it is trying to grip the insertion hole. I thought that just putting a piece of foam tape or something in this same area would not allow enough flexing in this "clip extension" so I did not try that seemingly simpler fix. So far, the piece has stayed in place and I did not spend a lot of time on this. So following the attached photos, I cut a piece of 14AWG solid copper wire about 3/4" long. Then I bent it into a "hog ring" so it could be put in the crook of the clip and not fall out when I was inserting it back into position. I only did this to two of the clip locations (near the center of the piece) and so far it has stayed in place for two weeks now. So, a MacGyver fix it is, but it didn't cost anything and I did no cutting or gluing on my baby. Hope this helps those adventurous souls out there that want to give it a try.

I'd probably try some cloth like tape like gaffer's tape or wire loom wrap. I think the copper wire is a bit overkill and might even cause potential for rattles. If you look over at the ES side, I'm a pioneer at finding, detecting, and creating lean effective fixes for new Lexus rattles. From looking at your post and photo, it seems those clips aren't holding secure in their respective slots. Perhaps I'm not able to see why the wire is necessary. But I would try the tape route so you aren't left with loose pieces of metal around. you also don't want said pieces of metal flying around in a crash and airbags present.
Old 08-19-23, 12:45 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,055 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec

added felt tape to increase friction, helps a bit

what the tolerance SHOULD look like

This is a good fix.
winpakbob (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 07:26 AM
Dogill
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'd probably try some cloth like tape like gaffer's tape or wire loom wrap. I think the copper wire is a bit overkill and might even cause potential for rattles. If you look over at the ES side, I'm a pioneer at finding, detecting, and creating lean effective fixes for new Lexus rattles. From looking at your post and photo, it seems those clips aren't holding secure in their respective slots. Perhaps I'm not able to see why the wire is necessary. But I would try the tape route so you aren't left with loose pieces of metal around. you also don't want said pieces of metal flying around in a crash and airbags present.
As previously posted, I tried two different types of tape and it only held for a few days. In my case (and likely others), the nature of the leather trim piece has the middle portion formed so it wants to bow out and pull away in the center, which is why the inferior clips don't hold it in place. Only glue or wire as suggested (or a proper clip) will hold it firmly enough to resist the bowing effect. Based on that, I just thought if the leather trim could be bent, without harming, to prevent the bowing effect, tape may suffice.
winpakbob (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 11:32 AM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogill
As previously posted, I tried two different types of tape and it only held for a few days. In my case (and likely others), the nature of the leather trim piece has the middle portion formed so it wants to bow out and pull away in the center, which is why the inferior clips don't hold it in place. Only glue or wire as suggested (or a proper clip) will hold it firmly enough to resist the bowing effect. Based on that, I just thought if the leather trim could be bent, without harming, to prevent the bowing effect, tape may suffice.
I used the wire, instead of tape to maintain the external step in the original clip that is intended to snap into the slot. The wire spreads out the clip externally so the step now clicks in. Tape over makes the interference greater and can work too. A few ways to a better result than factory fail.
What is really needed is a new clip that is larger on the outside so the step clicks into the slot. Seems like a pretty easy fix for Lexus unless this is receiving so few complaints that they are not even interested. So far, the wire fix is holding, no rattle because there is nothing to rattle against but surely the glue method and overtape methods will work as well. I just didn't want a tech to remove the dash to fix this and create new problems. How about some new clips Lexus! LOL.

Meant to quote "metal rattles" response, not this one. Sorry.

Last edited by winpakbob; 08-19-23 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Quoted wrong response, sorry
Dogill (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 03:44 PM
thesemes
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

cant someone 3d print this and then make a modified version?
winpakbob (08-20-23)
Old 08-19-23, 06:55 PM
ncRXhybrid
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm experiencing this issue too and I live in the South so the vehicle is exposed to the extra hot temps. It wouldn't be so noticeable if they didn't have yellow clips (unfortunate color choice). But, after reading this thread, I plan to wait to see if Lexus figures out a fix than to have tech mess with the dash. It is annoying but I like so much about the 2023 RX I can get over this.
ggebhardt (08-22-23)
Old 08-27-23, 07:06 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

So last week, we had a heat index of >100. No issues on our dash so far. Got our Rx this past June as soon as it was delivered, I haven't looked at the production date.
Old 08-30-23, 12:45 PM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

It almost seems as if it is not the clips or the fastening mechanism, but that maybe the actual upholstered part of the dash is slightly too big and won’t fit snugly. Seems like if it was the clips they would all fail since they appear to be using the exact same clips as those that have not failed. Really no clue but nothing else makes sense.

Before I called to schedule my 10000 mile service this morning I called Lexus to see if there was a fix for this problem. They said they really didn’t have anything in their system about this, but if more people would call them, the issue would get elevated. So for those who are having this issue, probably not a bad idea to call Lexus and report it even though you might have taken it to the dealer.

Old 08-30-23, 12:49 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefty
It almost seems as if it is not the clips or the fastening mechanism, but that maybe the actual upholstered part of the dash is slightly too big and won’t fit snugly. Seems like if it was the clips they would all fail since they appear to be using the exact same clips as those that have not failed. Really no clue but nothing else makes sense.

Before I called to schedule my 10000 mile service this morning I called Lexus to see if there was a fix for this problem. They said they really didn’t have anything in their system about this, but if more people would call them, the issue would get elevated. So for those who are having this issue, probably not a bad idea to call Lexus and report it even though you might have taken it to the dealer.
I reported to Lexus, you know what they said? Talk to your dealer. It just goes around in circles. The clips are the problem, because they have 2 different kinds and are not the same. Check yours if its failing, the one on the end is different than the ones in the middle that are sagging.
Old 08-30-23, 12:53 PM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I reported to Lexus, you know what they said? Talk to your dealer. It just goes around in circles. The clips are the problem, because they have 2 different kinds and are not the same. Check yours if its failing, the one on the end is different than the ones in the middle that are sagging.
Wow. Crazy. Seems as if it was simply the clips, they would just use the correct ones? Who knows. At least my fender hasn’t fallen off. I can live with this for a while.
Old 08-30-23, 12:57 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hefty
Wow. Crazy. Seems as if it was simply the clips, they would just use the correct ones? Who knows. At least my fender hasn’t fallen off. I can live with this for a while.
No the clips are part of a single piece injection molded so it's not removable. The mold itself is where the defect happened. I've taped mine with double sided tape but at certain angles you can definitely tell because the piece itself bows outwards
Old 08-31-23, 01:03 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

No the clips are part of a single piece injection molded so it's not removable. The mold itself is where the defect happened. I've taped mine with double sided tape but at certain angles you can definitely tell because the piece itself bows outwards
You might want to look at post #115 that shows the clips removed from the molded part.
Old 08-31-23, 09:35 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Urlik
You might want to look at post #115 that shows the clips removed from the molded part.
No I didn't mean the yellow removable clip. I should've clarified, the side clips on the black that the yellow attach to.
Urlik (09-01-23)
Old 09-02-23, 05:42 AM
artist
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default took 5 months but...

My 5 month old RX350 now has the dash separation issue. Figured I'd report it to the dealer when it goes in for its first maintenance in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Issue with dash separation