RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trunk lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23 | 08:45 AM
mmano
Driver

Default Trunk lock issue

When I try to close my trunk with the trunk lock button, the trunk will not always close and when it does close, sometimes it will appear to be locked but when I look at my Lexus app, it says the doors are open. So, the other week I tried to lock the doors from the app and it said the trunk was open. I tried to close the trunk from the car and nothing happened. So, I manually went to the trunk and noticed a gap. Tried to close or open the trunk from the trunk, nothing happened. I proceeded to manually press on the trunk and it finally opened. I have been planning to take it to the dealer but every time I get ready to call, it works fine.
Old 05-31-23 | 08:57 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Hello! From wa (Snohomish County) here too! What model rx are you having problems with?! I was having problems with the kick sensor but apparently I was too close to the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
lexusnyca (05-31-23)
Old 05-31-23 | 10:01 AM
mmano
Driver

I have a 2023 Lexus RX350h, Luxury package. My problem is with the Lock trunk button to the right of the close button. It does not always close or lock. I have not had an issue with the kick sensor. I thought it was a proximity also but I have tried positioning myself in different locations and even walking away from the vehicle.
Old 05-31-23 | 10:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Same here. On two occasions the back door did not close all the way and did not lock. The app notified me and I noticed the door was not quite closed all the way.

‘’I, too, found out if you stand too close, the kick sensor will not allow the rear door to open. As far as the sensor goes, it is the first vehicle I have ever owned that this sensor actually works every time.
Old 05-31-23 | 11:02 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Close and lock will also not work if you’re standing close. Try pressing it and walking away.
Old 05-31-23 | 12:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Close and lock does not work if you are using the Digital Key. It should, but appears to be a software error that they have not fixed.
Old 05-31-23 | 06:24 PM
mmano
Driver

The close button works every time. I have tried the lock button from the side of the vehicle and walking away. It will beep once then two times then nothing happens or it will close and then mirrors will fold like its locked and beep 4 times. When I look at my app, it says that the doors are unlocked. When I try and lock it, it says the truck is open. So last week I tried to open or close the trunk from inside the car. nothing happened. I then went to the truck and noticed a gap. Tried to open/close and still nothing happened. I then manually pushed on the trunk, then it was able to open and close.
Old 06-01-23 | 01:32 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I have had the rear hatch not physically lock twice. I will mention at the 5K but doubt they will do,anything.
Old 06-01-23 | 05:00 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I think I read somewhere that after pressing the button the car beeps once, if you have the key you should step away enough for the door to clear, but not walk away yet. It will then beep twice. As long as your key is detected at this point it will continue and then lock. Should be able to walk away from the vicinity of rear hatch after the second beep. At least this is what I remember reading.
krafty81 (06-01-23)
Old 06-01-23 | 05:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

When closing the rear hatch with the buttons, it make a different sound when closing to lock than just closing. When hitting the closing to lock, there is a final beep after. I am not sure if that beep occurs when my hatch door fails to latch and lock.

The only way I know for sure that the back door is locked is watch it as you can see the latching system pull the door down and hear it at the same time.
Old 06-01-23 | 05:58 AM
offroad200
Instructor

The close and lock button is designed for you to push that button first, then you have 30 seconds to grab your stuff, it will continue to beep, then walk away. It "should" close and lock the car at that point. If you push the close/lock button and immediately walk away it may not work properly. It's not like the previous RX models. It's meant for the convenience of being able to walk away with your hands full and not having to push a button after your hands are full.

If it's not doing this, you may want your dealer to look at it.
Old 06-01-23 | 06:19 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

I agree with previous poster. Press close and lock and stand well away from the car. You can observe the mirrors folding to know it is locked.
Old 06-05-23 | 06:44 PM
mmano
Driver

I have been playing with my trunk lock for a couple of weeks now. You are correct. All the times I had problems with the trunk not locking is when I walked away too quickly or if I pressed the lock button and walked away from the side of the car. When you press the lock button, you should 1st hear 2 beeps, then when you walk away, you should hear a single beep. The trunk will then close and lock.
Carbuff2 (06-06-23)
Old 06-20-23 | 10:59 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmano
I have been playing with my trunk lock for a couple of weeks now. You are correct. All the times I had problems with the trunk not locking is when I walked away too quickly or if I pressed the lock button and walked away from the side of the car. When you press the lock button, you should 1st hear 2 beeps, then when you walk away, you should hear a single beep. The trunk will then close and lock.
That is my experience also. Now works 100% of the time. The deep dive video covers this too.
Old 06-23-23 | 02:29 PM
Droynick
Driver School Candidate

I took my 6 week old 2023 Lexus RX to the dealer today as the back door would not consistently close and lock when I pressed the "Lock and Walk Away" Feature. According to the service rep, his staff could not replicate the issue that I had been having, an issue that a salesman also had the day before when I stopped by the showroom to ask why the Lock and Walk Away function was not working. The salesperson had told me to see Servicing as he could not figure out why the closing and locking system was inconsistent in its functioning. . When I picked up my RX just now the service rep said that he had done research and found a video on YouTube to explain the function. Here is the link

NOTE: What this video does not EXPLICITLY say is that, AFTER PRESSING THE LOCK AND WALK AWAY BUTTON, you have to WAIT under the back door for a couple of seconds until you HEAR a single beep. When you push the Lock and Walk Away button it beeps twice, or at least mine does. Previously, I was immediately walking away after hearing those two beeps and nothing was happening. Apparently the system works as follows. You press the Lock AND Walk Away button which puts the system into a standby period of 30 seconds. It beeps twice to let you know that it is working. The system then "looks" to see if you are there in the close vicinity to the open back door AND thus are likely to have the key on you. It needs to know that it is not in the vehicle. You need to be under the door for the Lock and Walk Away system to sense the key. Once it senses the key, there is one beep. You can then move away from the open door and the door will close and lock, not just the back door, but all doors. The trick is to wait under the door for a couple of seconds AFTER YOU PRESS the Lock and Walk Away button so that the system can detect the key, beep to alert you that it has detected the key and that it is armed to close and lock once you move about 4 feet away from the door.

Hope this helps. In the video, and in others, a person is showed under the door after pressing the button but they do not make it clear that you have to wait there a couple of seconds, if that, before moving away from the open door. They make no mention of the single beep that you will hear. If you do as I was doing, press and then immediately walk away, you will be staring at an open back door and you will be thinking that the system is broken. I did.

Quick Reply: Trunk lock issue