RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Is it actually possible to ORDER a new RX the way you want it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 10:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Sometimes dealers say things to make a sale. My dealer told me that they are allotted a certain number of vehicles with varying colors and options and they, in turn, match the vehicle as close as possible to the customer’s wants. The Lexus packages pretty well decide what options you can and can not get. You can’t get a base model with the ML radio package.
Old 07-17-23, 10:24 AM
budwom
Advanced

Received 228 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sometimes dealers say things to make a sale. My dealer told me that they are allotted a certain number of vehicles with varying colors and options and they, in turn, match the vehicle as close as possible to the customer’s wants. The Lexus packages pretty well decide what options you can and can not get. You can’t get a base model with the ML radio package.
This seems to be the case. Furthermore (from what my dealer told me) dealers tend to get the option combinations which have sold best for them in the past. For example AWD is de rigeur here up north, the Premium package with the moon roof is very popular as well.
Old 07-17-23, 10:30 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

True. That's also why its very hard to get the lighter colored interiors (birch, macadamia) in the colder climates - they send them all to the southern and southwestern states. The northeast gets mostly black and peppercorn.
Old 07-17-23, 12:10 PM
budwom
Advanced

Received 228 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
True. That's also why its very hard to get the lighter colored interiors (birch, macadamia) in the colder climates - they send them all to the southern and southwestern states. The northeast gets mostly black and peppercorn.
hm, I guess I'd have to see data on that....on our cars, and the few I saw on the lot, lighter interiors dominated. Even up here, when you park your car in the sun, dark interiors get unpleasantly hot....ours came with birch...I know few people who prefer dark interiors.
Old 07-17-23, 05:03 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DecentCheddar
Hi all! I'm planning to buy a RX 350h Luxury trim specifically in the socal area. I contacted all the dealers around me within 3 hours of drive, and one stood out because they said they can help me get the exact car I wanted. I asked them how, and they said they can tell the factory to make a car specially for me, and they have done it couple times. I was curious how they're the only dealer can do so, and they tell me the guy in this dealer knows how to communicate with the factory to make sure my car has the packages I want, and of course take away the packages I do not. While telling them the specific packages I would like, they told me the cold ice package, which I originally do not want, will always come with the vehicle, and they do not have control over this package. I'm fine with it since it's only $100. I told them as long as I can get all the packages and accessories I want, I'm more than happy to pay for the car, and they said they can do it. Since I will go on vacation abroad and won't be in the US until October, they said they can send the order in August, and I can have my hands on the car in October, provided no delays from the factory. They would give me an update late July before I went on my trip. Therefore, I put $1000 deposit down.

I talked with my friends and they all surprised that a Japanese car dealer can make special order for me. Fellow experienced buyers/owners, could you please interpret if this is possibly true, or just a trick played by the dealer getting me into the market? My initial question is that why they would lie if they cannot get the vehicle I wanted as I explicitly said I must have all the things (including color, trim, packages, and accessories) I want on the car or I won't buy? This is my first time buying a new car so any advice/help is appreciated! Thank you.
Not gonna happen.
Old 07-17-23, 06:02 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi all! I'm planning to buy a RX 350h Luxury trim specifically in the socal area. I contacted all the dealers around me within 3 hours of drive, and one stood out because they said they can help me get the exact car I wanted. I asked them how, and they said they can tell the factory to make a car specially for me, and they have done it couple times. I was curious how they're the only dealer can do so, and they tell me the guy in this dealer knows how to communicate with the factory to make sure my car has the packages I want, and of course take away the packages I do not. While telling them the specific packages I would like, they told me the cold ice package, which I originally do not want, will always come with the vehicle, and they do not have control over this package. I'm fine with it since it's only $100. I told them as long as I can get all the packages and accessories I want, I'm more than happy to pay for the car, and they said they can do it. Since I will go on vacation abroad and won't be in the US until October, they said they can send the order in August, and I can have my hands on the car in October, provided no delays from the factory. They would give me an update late July before I went on my trip. Therefore, I put $1000 deposit down.

I talked with my friends and they all surprised that a Japanese car dealer can make special order for me. Fellow experienced buyers/owners, could you please interpret if this is possibly true, or just a trick played by the dealer getting me into the market? My initial question is that why they would lie if they cannot get the vehicle I wanted as I explicitly said I must have all the things (including color, trim, packages, and accessories) I want on the car or I won't buy? This is my first time buying a new car so any advice/help is appreciated! Thank you.
In the meantime, the dealer has your deposit and probably a few others that are actually earning interest. In October,they may or may not have a car that comes close to what you want. They will offer it to you. If you say no, it will go to the next in line.
The following users liked this post:
budwom (07-18-23)
Old 07-17-23, 08:40 PM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know people don't believe me or believe it will happen but I got my factory build in last month (in a configuration I have never seen on the allocation sheets for any dealer) and it was accepted by the factory. I spend 5 months on the waitlist before the salesperson offered to custom order one for me (and yes, during the initial meeting, they said they really don't do them as they only get 2-3 every quarter or so). I put down a $5K non-refundable deposit and I'm waiting for the car to be built. He said there is no specific timeline but I'm not in the waitlist for a close match, it's for my order. This is definitely not my first Lexus (or Toyota, with whom I was never able to get a factory build) so I know it's rare but it depends on the dealer really. If what you want is near what they normally get, it's easier to sell from their allocations.
Old 07-18-23, 06:28 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

We all hope you’re right but decidedly skeptical it turns out like you think it will.
BerthoudPa (07-18-23)
Old 07-18-23, 07:44 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

So, you put down $5k and they promised you a car some day. How long are you willing to wait? Do you have a set price? We all wish you luck.
Old 07-18-23, 08:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

It is not the policy of Lexus or it's dealers to request a $5k non-refundable deposit on ANY vehicle!
Eagleboy99 (07-18-23)
Old 07-18-23, 08:52 AM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
So, you put down $5k and they promised you a car some day. How long are you willing to wait? Do you have a set price? We all wish you luck.
I have a set price and the deposit was non-refundable once the factory accept the build request, which it did. I've already waited 5 months for a car I realized (and the salesperson did too when he reached out to me) that the factory doesn't build cars in the config I wanted.
Old 07-18-23, 04:57 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm curious to know what sort of "special build" the OP bought. ML stereo on a base model? Pano camera on a second tier?
Old 07-18-23, 06:43 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
I'm curious to know what sort of "special build" the OP bought. ML stereo on a base model? Pano camera on a second tier?
OP had a simple question. Can you special order a car? We have gone way beyond that. Who are you referring to?
Old 07-22-23, 05:53 AM
Abarts
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson

Is anybody seeing any RX350h premium + with Mark Levinson shipping? Looks like they are all going to Luxury models.
Old 07-22-23, 06:48 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

I've seen a few P+ with the ML.

I have to tell you, I never heard the base stereo - I have the ML because I have a Luxury - I don't see that its some kind of astounding stereo. Would have gladly skipped this option if I could have. Listen to them both if you can and decide.
Urlik (07-22-23)

Quick Reply: Is it actually possible to ORDER a new RX the way you want it?