RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Is it actually possible to ORDER a new RX the way you want it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 08:40 AM
SilverBell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it actually possible to ORDER a new RX the way you want it?

This is my first visit to this website in probably over a decade, as I have been a Mercedes-Benz driver since 2012. I had several Lexus cars prior to then and I am now looking at possibly going for a new RX350.

Even in the most luxurious RX350 models, on their website, when you “Build” a new RX, Lexus shows that their Panoramic glass roof is OPTIONAL. My question is: Can you actually order a top line RX350 without the glass roof, or do they all come in with it automatically, no matter what? Thanks!
Old 06-04-23, 09:06 AM
Den49
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

To answer the question posed by the title to your thread, NO. This is the most frustrating aspect of shopping for a Lexus and the primary, almost exclusive, reason why my last four car purchases have not been a Lexus. Even if you can build the specific Lexus you want on their website, there is no way to order it. You are at the mercy of Lexus' "Allocation" system.

Last edited by Den49; 06-04-23 at 03:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Den49:
dklanecky1 (06-06-23), Klamalama (06-05-23), ncRXhybrid (06-06-23), SilverBell (06-04-23)
Old 06-04-23, 09:38 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

No. In fact depending on how precise you want to match your specs (color combination, etc), many combinations are very hard to get especially in the Luxury trim level. If you want a Premium or Premium+ and are flexible on color combinations and options, you will have a much easier time of it and can even get below MSRP on the gasoline 350. And the Toyota dealer allocation system is very unresponsive, when compared to BMW for example.

I have seen many Luxury trim builds without the pano roof. Unfortunately I had to take it in mine even though I don't want it, but when you get an allocation where everything else matches your liking, rejecting it for a $500 roof option is going to add months to your delivery timeline. Not worth it.

Grab the allocation spreadsheet, the thread is floating around here, and sort/filter through the available builds and you will get a sense of what the factory is producing in higher numbers, and what they aren't producing.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
FMY421 (06-04-23), ncRXhybrid (06-06-23), SilverBell (06-04-23)
Old 06-04-23, 09:46 AM
SilverBell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, nothing like MB or BMW. With MB, you can actually get the Dealer Ordering Guide or “DOG” as it is referred to and put together an order to give to your dealer, precisely adding or rejecting various option packages and/or stand alone options. You would think, if someone was willing to put down a deposit and wait the 12+ weeks for their vehicle to arrive, that Lexus would have a program for that. Oh well, I guess Lexus just tries to keep things as simple as possible.
Old 06-04-23, 01:09 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBell
This is my first visit to this website in probably over a decade, as I have been a Mercedes-Benz driver since 2012. I had several Lexus cars prior to then and I am now looking at possibly going for a new RX350.

Even in the most luxurious RX350 models, on their website, when you “Build” a new RX, Lexus shows that their Panoramic glass roof is OPTIONAL. My question is: Can you actually order a top line RX350 without the glass roof, or do they all come in with it automatically, no matter what? Thanks!
I ordered a RX350 AWD, without the pano roof, but it did come with the small sunroof.
Old 06-04-23, 02:03 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

It wasn’t actually built to your order though. The dealer had an allocation that fit your request.
Old 06-04-23, 04:08 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve pretty much accepted that I’m fine with get minimal optioned trim. The only options I really want is the ML and touchless liftgate. Unfortunately, to get the ML system I must get a heavily optioned premium+ or bump up to the luxury trim.
Old 06-05-23, 04:07 AM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, I literally put in a special order yesterday. I had to put a larger, non-refundable deposit once the order was accepted, but the car is not from the dealer allocation. It is my specific trim level, color, and options, without any other features I don't (I ordered a Luxury that based on the allocation sheets, doesn't exist at least for the dealer allocations in my area). Back to the OP, I specifically did NOT order that Pano roof but did order the smaller normal one. Now, I was told they no time frame at all for the car, at least 2-6 months but they would let me know once the vehicle went into production and I get a VIN
Old 06-05-23, 04:56 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 661 Likes on 448 Posts

They have no time frame because the factory does not allow custom orders. You may end up with a 2024 at this point as well and there could be changes in trims and options for that model year. Lexus hasn’t announced details for the 2024 RX yet.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (06-06-23)
Old 06-05-23, 05:57 AM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Urlik
They have no time frame because the factory does not allow custom orders. You may end up with a 2024 at this point as well and there could be changes in trims and options for that model year. Lexus hasn’t announced details for the 2024 RX yet.
I may end up with a 2024 but this was special order, SPO, not a custom order or just a dealer allocation (they definitely don't do custom orders, which is a car ordered with options that are normally not available on that trim). I said there is no timeframe but they said 2-6 months, which to me broad enought to be no timeframe. I have been waiting 2 months for a car to match my requirements before they offer to order one. I had asked about ordering a car the first day and they said that's not something they normally do, as they only get about two order requests every month or so for the whole dealer and even then, the factory may not accept the order for months. In this case, they offered to order it for me after waiting and not seeing any cars come even close to what I asked for (even after I decided to accept a car with more features than I wanted).

It may be possible that the whole process, along with the additional non-refundable deposit I put down is just for a dealer allocation. But I know the combination of features and color I want is rare, as if we look at the imperfect allocation sheets that are referenced here, there were only nine cars that had the features I wanted in the color I wanted out of nearly 400 luxury models in the list and all of them had more features than I wanted to pay for.
Old 06-05-23, 03:09 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I would think of maybe the 2025 units
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 09:21 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Our 2023 is likely going to be a 2024 at this point. Five months after deposit and NOTHING from the dealer.
Old 06-07-23, 01:15 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I would find a new dealer. Your dealer is not being honest with you.
Old 06-07-23, 03:22 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Our 2023 is likely going to be a 2024 at this point. Five months after deposit and NOTHING from the dealer.
Wow i had thought i am seeing alot of '23 rx on the road already in Seattle area
Old 06-07-23, 06:59 PM
Sparkling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Julius071
Wow i had thought i am seeing alot of '23 rx on the road already in Seattle area
I live in the Seattle area also and I'm seeing more and more 23 RXs. I didn't many until about April and now I see one about every other day.

Quick Reply: Is it actually possible to ORDER a new RX the way you want it?