RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Collated listing of additions we'd like to see to Lexus multimedia

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 10:25 AM
JTCA
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read through the list in post #1 and did not see these three items:

- Revert the screen to the last selection/setting after using CarPlay (As an example, for XM radio, it always goes back to the station icon tiles view instead of the album details view of the song being played.)

- Option to shut off engine and all power when the car is locked by either using the key fob or touching the sensor on door handles. (This feather is available for BMW. With Lexus, I often found myself having to re-open the door, press the on/off button, re-close the door, then lock the car. Oh well, at least it gives you a "beep" so you know.)

- Ability to select/change memorized seat positions without having to stop the car AND switch the gear selector to "P". I know this restriction may be due to "safety" concern, but you can adjust the seat with the control on the seat anyway. Using the memorized setting is actually safer.

Last edited by JTCA; 04-12-24 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-12-24, 10:26 AM
kry226
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Worthy addition, added.

I'm curious what your annoyance is with cross traffic alert because I find it not intrusive at all.
That's a good question and fair... and to clarify, my only beef is with front cross-traffic alert, not rear. Rear CTA is worth its weight in gold due to the very nature and frequency of backing with obstructed views (parking space, etc.).

But a lot of times, I find myself at an intersection that requires some anticipation and timing to negotiate, and where obstructed views just aren't part of the equation. I'm looking in the direction of oncoming cars and the slightest lessening of pressure on the brake pedal causes the beep. Heck, IIRC, I've even been at a stop light or even backed into a parking space, trying to do something in the cluster and kept being interrupted by the cross traffic visual alert message in the cluster as cross traffic passes through the intersection.

I don't drive while messing with my phone or other distractions, and I have yet to observe a time where it actually alerted me to something I didn't already see. It hasn't proven helpful to me, and is just an added distraction and annoyance to me.

I'm sure not everyone agrees, but that just proves the ongoing theme in this thread that these items should be options in the system; not mandatory or missing altogether.
Old 04-12-24, 10:38 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by kry226
That's a good question and fair... and to clarify, my only beef is with front cross-traffic alert, not rear. Rear CTA is worth its weight in gold due to the very nature and frequency of backing with obstructed views (parking space, etc.).

But a lot of times, I find myself at an intersection that requires some anticipation and timing to negotiate, and where obstructed views just aren't part of the equation. I'm looking in the direction of oncoming cars and the slightest lessening of pressure on the brake pedal causes the beep. Heck, IIRC, I've even been at a stop light or even backed into a parking space, trying to do something in the cluster and kept being interrupted by the cross traffic visual alert message in the cluster as cross traffic passes through the intersection.

I don't drive while messing with my phone or other distractions, and I have yet to observe a time where it actually alerted me to something I didn't already see. It hasn't proven helpful to me, and is just an added distraction and annoyance to me.

I'm sure not everyone agrees, but that just proves the ongoing theme in this thread that these items should be options in the system; not mandatory or missing altogether.
Pretty much follows my experience and driving style. It's one of those things that really doesn't bother me and might save my butt one day so I wouldn't turn it off.
Old 04-12-24, 10:50 AM
JTCA
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kry226

I can totally relate to this. I found the front cross-traffic alert annoying and distracting. Oftentimes because of the alert beep I paused and looked all directions of traffic again. This in fact can be dangerous because the car behind may not anticipate that. I wish that the front CTA can be turned off or at least provided with a sensitivity level selection like other drive assist feathers.
The following users liked this post:
kry226 (04-13-24)
Old 04-12-24, 11:08 AM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

FCTA picks up cars when people with big trucks, with high sides, have parked next to you. It happened twice to us in the last 3 days. We were parked front-out, trucks parked front-in.

(Wegmans parking lots can be interesting in our area &#128512
jahnjva (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 01:22 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTCA
Just read through the list in post #1 and did not see these three items:

- Revert the screen to the last selection/setting after using CarPlay (As an example, for XM radio, it always goes back to the station icon tiles view instead of the album details view of the song being played.)
Added

- Option to shut off engine and all power when the car is locked by either using the key fob or touching the sensor on door handles. (This feather is available for BMW. With Lexus, I often found myself having to re-open the door, press the on/off button, re-close the door, then lock the car. Oh well, at least it gives you a "beep" so you know.)
Added

- Ability to select/change memorized seat positions without having to stop the car AND switch the gear selector to "P". I know this restriction may be due to "safety" concern, but you can adjust the seat with the control on the seat anyway. Using the memorized setting is actually safer.
I'll add it but I suspect it is a safety issue. You don't want to accidentally hit a memory button and find your self moved forward into the wheel or worse pulled away from the pedals at the wrong time.

Thanks for making it an easy cut & paste for me as well.

Last edited by Urlik; 04-12-24 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 01:32 PM
Urlik
Instructor

OTA change coming for Lexus to optionally leave the Lexus bank of icons on the left side of the screen when using CarPlay. Oddly it’s not fixing something anyone asked to have included on this list.
https://www.autoblog.com/2024/04/16/...AYHIKJU05V9EJL

Last edited by Urlik; 04-16-24 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 02:18 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

The entire menu? That seems excessive and wastes valuable screen real estate. All they needed was the single LEXUS button someplace, the same one the CarPlay screen has, but as a permanently docked icon on the main screen so you don't have to swipe the CarPlay screen to get back to it to select LEXUS. This is another human factors mistake coming in this next update. And I still haven't noticed a single change from the last update.
Urlik (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 02:57 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
And I still haven't noticed a single change from the last update.
I hope some day to be able to do a cross out font on one of the things on the list. Sadly I have low expectations we'll see any improvements to even make it as good as the last system.
Old 04-16-24, 03:59 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Well, one person found it an annoyance but never suggested the change for this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nt-update.html
Old 04-22-24, 06:40 AM
nowlen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Add Blind Spot Warning to HUD (like my Hyundai). Why do I need to look at the mirror to see if I have a BSM warning, isn't that the reason for the HUD?
Old 04-27-24, 11:28 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by nowlen
Add Blind Spot Warning to HUD (like my Hyundai). Why do I need to look at the mirror to see if I have a BSM warning, isn't that the reason for the HUD?
It's been added to the first post.
Old 06-17-24, 02:23 PM
Urlik
Instructor

I added the following: - Change the track name displayed when playing music from USB keys to the MP3Tag track name and NOT the file name.

My burned file names have Artist - Album - Track # - Title for the file names. The multimedia unit will put that mess up on the screen as the track name but gets the album and artist name to display below that from the MP3Tag. The title should come from the MP3Tag as well.
deaded (Yesterday)
Old 06-18-24, 04:32 AM
pakbet
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So there is this button to pop up the below screen. This display is absolute useless. Why are the alerts setting in "frequently used"? Yes, it is always active but I hardly change it.

Lexus should make this a one page window customizable like the way we customize our phones' home page ... drag and drop the widgets/shortcuts for items that we frequently access rather than navigating through Lexus's convoluted menu structure!!

Old 06-18-24, 05:39 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by pakbet
Lexus should make this a one page window customizable like the way we customize our phones' home page ... drag and drop the widgets/shortcuts for items that we frequently access rather than navigating through Lexus's convoluted menu structure!!
Added to the list on the first post.

Quick Reply: Collated listing of additions we'd like to see to Lexus multimedia