RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Collated listing of additions we'd like to see to Lexus multimedia

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 07:02 PM
KennyE
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

New owner here. And maybe I'm just missing the setting. But I'd like the ability to have the seat and steering wheel do a partial retraction when opening the driver's door while the car is running. With it in Park, of course .
Old 08-05-23, 05:18 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyE
New owner here. And maybe I'm just missing the setting. But I'd like the ability to have the seat and steering wheel do a partial retraction when opening the driver's door while the car is running. With it in Park, of course .
Added to the list
Old 08-14-23, 04:05 PM
Urlik
Instructor

I got an email from Lexus last Friday to do a survey on quality. Of course I mentioned the dash garnish. They also asked for improvement ideas and I cut and pasted this list.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (08-15-23)
Old 08-15-23, 12:55 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

i notice when a destination is reached there is no verbal announcement, only a message on the nav screen .

i never had a nav system that didn’t verbally say , you have reached your destination
Old 08-15-23, 02:59 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Added to the list
Old 08-30-23, 08:10 AM
vincentdjh
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Road sign assist - ability to choose display of speed limits ONLY

Speed limits are nice option to see when driving - but no tolerance for all the other excessive notifications - stop signs, yield, etc

Also, ability to disable school zone warnings

Last edited by vincentdjh; 08-30-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 08:23 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by vincentdjh
Road sign assist - ability to choose display of speed limits ONLY

Speed limits are nice option to see when driving - but no tolerance for all the other excessive notifications - stop signs, yield, etc

Also, ability to disable school zone warnings
It's been added.
Old 09-01-23, 12:10 PM
Mike3rdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Note: I was adding a note to Post #43 (Had a new one pop up today. The wife complained that she tried to use Hey Lexus to set a destination and she couldn’t hear it.) Not sure this is the same, but I was using my maps as well as apple car play and all of a sudden all of the car prompts went very soft (could hardly hear). I turned the radio up but that only made the music lauder. I happen to be at the dealer and they looked at my settings and there is a separate slider (sorry do not have it in front of me) for setting the system volume and it was very low. I asked him how that happened and he had no idea. It had been working fine for a full week before that. he said if it happened again to bring the car in.
Urlik (09-01-23)
Old 09-01-23, 12:50 PM
Mike3rdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a great list ... I am a relatively new owner of a 2023 RS 350 and to be honest I join many of you here being disappointed in the 14" display and the entire user interface. I have talked to my dealer and they keep saying this is new software and it takes time to work out the bugs. They also say they have gone to a "cloud" system which has also complicated things. Not sure I buy any of that. Lots of complex software is run out of the cloud without major operation issues.

I will try not to duplicate items above but I fully agree with the ability to put more than one function/application on the screen at one time. For me it is very distracting to change radio stations or move from map to radio let alone from Apple Car Play to the Radio. It is at least 3 clicks of the screen (1st click the Multi Dots in Car Play (left botton) - the click the Lexus Apps - them click the Lexus function - then click what you want in the radio.

Radio Screen:
  • Scan in both directions
  • How about a Tuning Slider so you can quickly get to the approximate place on the dial (how many people know the exact number of what they are looking for)
  • Need a way to re-arrange the favorites once you have them selected. They get entered in the order you select and then there is no way to move them around
  • If I click on AM/FM/Sirius/SM I do not get a list of my favorites from that band. If I want to listen to just that band why not show my favorites
  • There are way too many overlays on the screen (the large blue box for Sources blocks out at least 2 radio stations
Seat Assignments (and mirror and steering wheel):
  • Clarify if Seats Settings (1-2-3) are unique to a profile. Are they unique to a FOB (once we have multiple). Does the Digital Key get tied to the settings.
  • As I understand it, if the seat is moved once a profile (with seat settings) is in use, the new seat settings get changed in the current profile. I was told this happens after 3 miles but my wife drove (using my profile and having changed the seat settings) about 1 mile, parked, and returned to the house and the seat settings for my profile are the ones she changed to. The software needs to have an option to always update seat settings or to not update seat settings. Or, tie the seat settings to the buttons and only change the seat settings in the profile when the button has been updated. If each profile has a unique set of 3 settings - that should be more than enough flexibiltiy.
MPG - on the auto info screen there should be an MPG for the current tank and also for the current trip
Profiles (but maybe I should not get started!)
  • First redefine what you mean by the Primary Driver. Not sure how many, but every time I read about the "Primary Driver" it seems to have a different meaning. Maybe need to define Car Owner and Current Driver. That way you would always have an account responsible for the car and data/setting associated with the person sitting in the drivers seat. That could also apply to the Blue Tooth Devices within the car so you could assign a Primary Device which would be the device assigned to the Current Driver and a secondary, third, etc device that would follow if their were multiple devices within the car at the same time.
  • Improve and define the sequence Profiles are established. I have read the manual a dozen times and still confused with the FOB, Digital Key, Face Recognition, and Blue Tooth Device. It is also important to clarify what happens if two people with Profiles get in the car at the same time and have 1 or more of these (Clearly only the person behind the wheel will have Face Recognition). Since most of us only have 1 FOB many of these issues might be resolved with multiple FOBs (assigned to profiles); however, it still is not clear what happens with multiple FOBs in the car at one time.
I hope that Lexus does something to update this software -- not only does it have its bugs but the user interface just seems so distracting and a step backwards.
Old 09-01-23, 01:19 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

To re-arrange favorites, just press and hold the icon for a favorite and drag and drop it to your desired position on the list.
Old 09-01-23, 02:30 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike3rdLexus
Note: I was adding a note to Post #43 (Had a new one pop up today. The wife complained that she tried to use Hey Lexus to set a destination and she couldn’t hear it.) Not sure this is the same, but I was using my maps as well as apple car play and all of a sudden all of the car prompts went very soft (could hardly hear). I turned the radio up but that only made the music lauder. I happen to be at the dealer and they looked at my settings and there is a separate slider (sorry do not have it in front of me) for setting the system volume and it was very low. I asked him how that happened and he had no idea. It had been working fine for a full week before that. he said if it happened again to bring the car in.
We had that happen which is why I added put a volume slider on the Hey Lexus screen to the list.
Old 09-20-23, 02:56 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Added two more items to the bottom of the list.
Old 09-20-23, 03:21 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Added two more items to the bottom of the list.
And they are…??
Urlik (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 03:42 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Since you don’t want to go to the first post in the thread. They are:

- Mute music in the background when Car play reads text message and Car play Navigation gives directions (This thread)
- Allow scrolling through the multi information display options on HUD equipped cars while cruise control is active. Currently can't use page 2 commands on right side (This thread)

Last edited by Urlik; 09-20-23 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 03:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Since you don’t want to go to the first post in the thread. They are:

- Mute music in the background when Car play reads text message and Car play Navigation gives directions (This thread)
- Allow scrolling through the multi information display options on HUD equipped cars while cruise control is active. Currently can't use page 2 commands on right side (This thread)
Thanks. I agree with these.

What are the odds that Lexus will actually do these software upgrades and will it require a dealer trip and will out-years software upgrades be available and will we have to pay for them?

Quick Reply: Collated listing of additions we'd like to see to Lexus multimedia