RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Vibration on high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 06:06 PM
KFL
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Vibration on high speeds

Hello everyone, got my new RX 350 2023 (non hybrid) 3 months ago, Luxury Trim, put 1500 miles on it so far, everything is like a lexus should be, quiet, smooth, comfy... the only flaw is..I´ve been noticing some vibration coming from the pedal area when I am driving it on 70-80 MPH range, I took the car to the dealer, 2 technicians tested it drive , ( two different dealers) they drove the car in a long test drive and they stated that vibration is there but its coming from the irregularities of the pavement and because of the low profile tires 21¨ we can feel it. Is it true? Is it accurate? Honestly, it bothers me in a long trips. Any of you are having the same vibration sensation? Am I so sensitive or too picky to feel it? Long story in a short story...46 years old, I´ve been driving a bunch of upscale cars on my life, bmw 5 series, audi 6 , grand cherokees, among others, my last car was the previous model of the RX350 , never felt that kind of vibration in my previous cars even on those ones with low profile tires. Please help me...THANK YOU!

Last edited by KFL; 06-17-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 06:23 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

This has been reported by some reviewers. There are threads here on it.
The following users liked this post:
KFL (06-17-23)
Old 06-17-23, 06:35 PM
KFL
4th Gear

The “biggest” question is : is it normal ? Should I ( we) live with it?
Old 06-18-23, 02:53 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Just did a 420 mi trip in one full tank of gas (6.5 hr total round trip) and most of the ride was on the interstate. The whole day never felt this vibration other than road imperfections. We have the 21" wheels on a Goodyear tire (will replaced to Michelin when worn out). My only complaint is the loud engine noise in acceleration when we're used to the V6 of the 3rd gen.
The following 2 users liked this post by happy1977:
ggebhardt (06-19-23), KFL (06-18-23)
Old 06-19-23, 07:18 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

I agree it is loud under hard acceleration. What can we do about that? I am wondering if anyone if going to sell a sound deadening kit for this car. What would work, an under hood liner made of dynamat?
Old 06-19-23, 10:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by KFL
Hello everyone, got my new RX 350 2023 (non hybrid) 3 months ago, Luxury Trim, put 1500 miles on it so far, everything is like a lexus should be, quiet, smooth, comfy... the only flaw is..I´ve been noticing some vibration coming from the pedal area when I am driving it on 70-80 MPH range, I took the car to the dealer, 2 technicians tested it drive , ( two different dealers) they drove the car in a long test drive and they stated that vibration is there but its coming from the irregularities of the pavement and because of the low profile tires 21¨ we can feel it. Is it true? Is it accurate? Honestly, it bothers me in a long trips. Any of you are having the same vibration sensation? Am I so sensitive or too picky to feel it? Long story in a short story...46 years old, I´ve been driving a bunch of upscale cars on my life, bmw 5 series, audi 6 , grand cherokees, among others, my last car was the previous model of the RX350 , never felt that kind of vibration in my previous cars even on those ones with low profile tires. Please help me...THANK YOU!
I have low profile tires as well but on an ES not RX. I once had an issue with vibration - dealer tried to tell me all FSports with low profile tires vibrate - NONSENSE. They finally road force balanced the wheels and vibration was gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Carbuff2 (06-20-23), Klamalama (06-20-23)
Old 06-20-23, 02:50 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Did some passing on a two lane at 100mph and no vibration noted in our RX350. Usually what you're experiencing comes from a wheel balance issue, sometimes a bad tire. It's definitely not caused by low profile tires. 50 series tires barely qualifies as low profile anyway. If nobody has pulled the tires and checked their balance on a road force balancing machine, I would try that next.
The following 4 users liked this post by Urlik:
ggebhardt (06-20-23), KFL (06-22-23), lexusnyca (06-20-23), mikemu30 (06-28-24)
Old 11-26-23, 05:48 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Vibration/Wind Noise Above 70 mph/110 kph?

Just took our RX350 AWd Lux on its first longer road trip and experienced an incredibly annoying vibration or droaning sound coming from the lower front end of the car at speeds above 70mph/110kph. Sound gets more pronounced as you get faster and seems to stay constant above 80mph/128kph. My passengers also noticed it, and we all agreed it seems to be coming from the lower front of the car. I suspect it is some sort of harmonics issue with airflow across the plastic underbody shielding or maybe the lower front fascia; the sound does not change with engine rpm, old/new pavement, or uphill/downhill - it is only ground speed dependent. Only time I heard a change in pitch was when we went through a dip in the road and the suspension sagged/rebounded momentarily - that seems to confirm it is an underbody airflow issue. I also see there are other owners experiencing same thing and discussing on a recent reddit thread, with an audio file from one owner with the exact same sound. He said his dealer can reproduce, but as of right now they can't find the source of the issue and are bringing in a Lexus field engineer to see what they can find. I have driven the car at these speeds in the past, but had never heard this sound until now; we just hit 4k miles on the odometer and it seems most owners hearing this are also in the 3-5k mileage range. Anyone here with a similar issue? 4k miles, 21" tires, no aftermarket anything added to car since new. Anyone else experience similar issue and perhaps found a reason/fix?
Wait4Vtec (11-27-23)
Old 11-26-23, 12:18 PM
jaxn1010
Driver

Audio file with the sound being described

I don't think is a tire issue; zero change in this specific sound when transitioning from new pavement to old, concrete to asphalt, etc. Also, this is showing up at constant speed with cruise control set, not under hard acceleration and definitely not engine sound. @KFL OP - Did you ever find the source or get this resolved? The reddit thread seems to indicate a harmonic vibration coming from the underbody panels or front fascia.

Last edited by jaxn1010; 11-26-23 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 12:07 AM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxn1010

I don't think is a tire issue; zero change in this specific sound when transitioning from new pavement to old, concrete to asphalt, etc. Also, this is showing up at constant speed with cruise control set, not under hard acceleration and definitely not engine sound. @KFL OP - Did you ever find the source or get this resolved? The reddit thread seems to indicate a harmonic vibration coming from the underbody panels or front fascia.
I've heard this same exact sound before on mine. But it only happens at around 75mph or above I believe. It's a loud constant, resonating and deep droning tone. It's so specific because it almost has a low subwoofer hum to it that you can feel.

Last edited by Wait4Vtec; 11-27-23 at 12:11 AM.
jaxn1010 (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 05:55 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
I've heard this same exact sound before on mine. But it only happens at around 75mph or above I believe. It's a loud constant, resonating and deep droning tone. It's so specific because it almost has a low subwoofer hum to it that you can feel.
Yes, that is exactly it - I guess it's one of those "once you hear it you can't unhear it" things. I crawled around under the car last evening to see if there was anything obvious with the underbody shielding/fascia etc., but didn't see anything at all that looked or felt loose or out of place. My 5k service is coming up soon, so I'll add this to the maintenance request.
Old 06-28-24, 07:46 AM
gljg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Have this issue with 24 RX 350 F Sport

Originally Posted by KFL
Have noticed this exact problem on my 2024 RX 350 - started to notice the problem at around 3K miles and it has been getting progressively more noticeable. Feels a bit like a wheel bearing problem, but subtle. Will be checking with Lexus dealer/service to see what can be done.
Old 06-28-24, 07:59 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Wheel bearings normally make noise and not so much vibrations. Maybe a CV axle issue? There have been a few bad ones reported on here from the factory.
Old 06-28-24, 08:16 AM
KFL
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jaxn1010

Tired of it I traded my Rx 350 2023 Luxury trim with only 5 k miles…
The following 2 users liked this post by KFL:
autotech13 (06-29-24), jaxn1010 (06-28-24)
Old 06-28-24, 08:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by KFL
Tired of it I traded my Rx 350 2023 Luxury trim with only 5 k miles…
What did you get if I may ask?

Quick Reply: Vibration on high speeds