RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Hesitation on start on RX350 (non hybrid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 02:58 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by BerthoudPa
It's the turbo kicking in I think.
No, not a chance.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-08-23)
Old 07-06-23, 03:58 PM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BerthoudPa
It's the turbo kicking in I think.
Agree with Urlik, this is much more like a dead pedal…step on the gas and there’s a second or two delay before the car goes, very unnerving (again, only happens from a dead stop). It goes in for 6 month service later this month, I’ll tell the dealer but am not expecting much, my guess is it’s a factory tuning issue. Seems to have gotten worse with the hot weather (mid to high 90s and high humidity).

Last edited by Mchurch52; 07-06-23 at 04:02 PM.
Urlik (07-06-23)
Old 07-07-23, 05:45 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Do the symptoms change if another driving mode is selected? (EG, SPORT)
That might point to an issue with the throttle position sensor. (Which should be covered under warranty of course) <-- I'm good at W.A.G.s

It's always nice to provide as much info as you can. Even if SPORT throttle response doesn't affect anything....
lexusnyca (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 07:47 AM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Do the symptoms change if another driving mode is selected? (EG, SPORT)
That might point to an issue with the throttle position sensor. (Which should be covered under warranty of course) <-- I'm good at W.A.G.s

It's always nice to provide as much info as you can. Even if SPORT throttle response doesn't affect anything....
I believe my wife has only driven it in Normal mode, I'll give the Sport mode a try next time I drive it and see if there's a difference. It's tough to diagnose since it seems to be pretty random, doesn't happen on every take-off from a stop.
Old 07-07-23, 07:51 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mchurch52
I believe my wife has only driven it in Normal mode, I'll give the Sport mode a try next time I drive it and see if there's a difference. It's tough to diagnose since it seems to be pretty random, doesn't happen on every take-off from a stop.
Probably worth trying to get it on video at some point to show the service techs.
Mchurch52 (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 08:48 AM
eoz3106
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the same issue, it's horrible. Ours is a premium+ AWD. It's about 1-2 second delay and the pedal is just dead. It only happens when leaving a complete stop. We are due for the 5000 maintenance and will take it in. I think it is related to how the engine shuts down at stops, just my guess.
Old 07-07-23, 08:52 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by eoz3106
I think it is related to how the engine shuts down at stops, just my guess.
Well that would be easy for you to check. Turn off start/stop and see if the problem goes away for you.
lexusnyca (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 11:37 AM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

Originally Posted by eoz3106
We have the same issue, it's horrible. Ours is a premium+ AWD. It's about 1-2 second delay and the pedal is just dead. It only happens when leaving a complete stop. We are due for the 5000 maintenance and will take it in. I think it is related to how the engine shuts down at stops, just my guess.
Ours is also a Premium + AWD. I can't imagine why AWD might make a difference, but you never know. Your issue sounds the same as ours.
Old 07-07-23, 01:49 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

I ran some tests today - Luxury+AWD+AutoStart=off - jumps right off the line. Only 600 miles however.

Are you sure you aren't touching the brake pedal with your left foot when you go to get on the gas? Some people drive with two feet. Even the slightest contact with that brake pedal is going to thwart the accelerator.
Urlik (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 02:21 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Are you sure you aren't touching the brake pedal with your left foot when you go to get on the gas? Some people drive with two feet. Even the slightest contact with that brake pedal is going to thwart the accelerator.
Nice point. If you are one foot driving the engine restarts when you release the brake so it is running when you hit the accelerator. That could be an issue for some as well as hitting both pedals at once.
Old 07-08-23, 05:30 AM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I ran some tests today - Luxury+AWD+AutoStart=off - jumps right off the line. Only 600 miles however.

No, definitely a right foot only driver. Tried disabling auto stop/start and no change. It only happens when punching the gas, rolling on the pedal slowly works normal. It must be a factory tuning thing.

My last truck did the same thing (2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel), learned to just wait for a large gap in traffic before pulling out so I didn’t get t-boned…I traded it in for a 2023 GX460 with a Pedal Commander added, immediate throttle response!
Old 07-08-23, 06:06 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to reset ecu before going to dealer as if that works that is all they will do until software update. Could be a hardware issue if that doesn't work.
Old 07-08-23, 07:31 AM
Rafs
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Highlanders are having the same issue. Apparently there was a manufacturing adjustment in late February that solves this problem. Is your RX made in March or later and still having this issue?
Mchurch52 (07-08-23)
Old 07-08-23, 10:15 AM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Rafs
The Highlanders are having the same issue. Apparently there was a manufacturing adjustment in late February that solves this problem. Is your RX made in March or later and still having this issue?
Ours was built in January, so maybe a software flash by the dealer will take care of the issue,
Urlik (07-08-23)
Old 07-12-23, 03:39 PM
artist
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mchurch52
Agree with Urlik, this is much more like a dead pedal…step on the gas and there’s a second or two delay before the car goes, very unnerving (again, only happens from a dead stop). It goes in for 6 month service later this month, I’ll tell the dealer but am not expecting much, my guess is it’s a factory tuning issue. Seems to have gotten worse with the hot weather (mid to high 90s and high humidity).
I'd agree with this. I had no issues when it was still chilly outside (needed seat heaters on...). Seems to have surfaced with the summertime weather. Interesting that so many have the issue.
Mchurch52 (07-12-23)

Quick Reply: Hesitation on start on RX350 (non hybrid)