RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Hesitation on start on RX350 (non hybrid)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 08:59 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Rx350 - Hesitation TSB

I saw this TSB pop up, it is for ICE RX350. I feel this has occurred a few times where I be turning out in front of traffic there is literal pause before when the power even kicks in. I always wrote it off as it me slamming on pedal and there slight delay from turbo etc. However on one occasion I had stopped to get ticket at parking lot and then went to go it took more then second to go, it was enough time that I looked to see if I was on hold or in park. That has only happened one time and the other instance is if I have to slam on it to turn in front of traffic, but that doesn't occur all time. I can say it definitely not transmission hesitation felt in prior generation in 2016 or even transmission delay feel. It does feel like either turbo lag/delay or engine not getting communcation via ECU to apply the throttle at all.

Next visit I will get more details, I was just seeing if anyone had this applied yet or could pull actual TSB.

061600 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING: ENGINE: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECU/ECM)

RECORD_ID: 4431843

Bulletin Number: LSB005623

Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A

NHTSA Item Number: 10247797

Date Posted: 11-02-23

Component Name: 061600 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING: ENGINE: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECU/ECM)

Make: LEXUS

Model: RX

Year: 2023

Date Added: 12-25-23

Summary: TSB: Some 2023 model year RX 350 vehicles may exhibit one or both of the following conditions: ?Hesitation when accelerating from a stop. ?Non-linear acceleration from a stop or rolling stop with steady throttle. The Engine Control
The following users liked this post:
Longevite1 (02-05-24)
Old 02-05-24, 05:54 PM
madmax24
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have Neuropathy and tend to be a "2-foot" driver. I can't move my gas foot fast enough to hit the brake, in an emergency. Ergo, I brake with my left foot. If you happen to have your foot barely touching the brake, when you go to accelerate, it will "bog" a bit and there will be a warning on the instrument panel that brake and accelerator are being pressed simultaneously.
Old 02-05-24, 08:25 PM
2023RX350PP
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
I saw this TSB pop up, it is for ICE RX350. I feel this has occurred a few times where I be turning out in front of traffic there is literal pause before when the power even kicks in. I always wrote it off as it me slamming on pedal and there slight delay from turbo etc. However on one occasion I had stopped to get ticket at parking lot and then went to go it took more then second to go, it was enough time that I looked to see if I was on hold or in park. That has only happened one time and the other instance is if I have to slam on it to turn in front of traffic, but that doesn't occur all time. I can say it definitely not transmission hesitation felt in prior generation in 2016 or even transmission delay feel. It does feel like either turbo lag/delay or engine not getting communcation via ECU to apply the throttle at all.

Next visit I will get more details, I was just seeing if anyone had this applied yet or could pull actual TSB.

061600 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING: ENGINE: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECU/ECM)

RECORD_ID: 4431843

Bulletin Number: LSB005623

Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A

NHTSA Item Number: 10247797

Date Posted: 11-02-23

Component Name: 061600 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING: ENGINE: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECU/ECM)

Make: LEXUS

Model: RX

Year: 2023

Date Added: 12-25-23

Summary: TSB: Some 2023 model year RX 350 vehicles may exhibit one or both of the following conditions: ?Hesitation when accelerating from a stop. ?Non-linear acceleration from a stop or rolling stop with steady throttle. The Engine Control
It happened to me once, while making a left turn after a full stop. It felt like the car was off, just like you described. At the time, I was using the economy mode. I changed to normal mode and it has not happened again. I will hope to never go through that again.
Old 02-06-24, 06:20 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I also brake with my left foot, been doing that since I was a kid on a farm. You get a much faster response, but do what feels comfortable for you.
Old 02-06-24, 09:03 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2023RX350PP
It happened to me once, while making a left turn after a full stop. It felt like the car was off, just like you described. At the time, I was using the economy mode. I changed to normal mode and it has not happened again. I will hope to never go through that again.
This is exactly what it is it like, there is such delay where you have a min to think like what's going on here. Foot was no where near the brake and was in regular mode. It was enough that it spooked me as I had given myself enough distance to turn in front of the car and this almost caused me to get hit. I need to get more details if this is software update or replacement of something. Because everything else is fine expect that rumble vibration I get between first and second gear sometimes which makes me feel like sometimes I am driving old hybrid as it feels like ICE to electric motor.
Old 02-06-24, 04:47 PM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just curious, do you guys have proactive assist on
Old 02-07-24, 06:39 AM
John89
Pit Crew

No, everything I can shutdown has been shut since day 1
Old 04-11-24, 07:58 AM
heymomx2
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hesitation when accelerating

Have a 2023 RX350. Have a hesitation issue when accelerating from a stop or slow down. Been to the dealership twice they are blowing me off. I have a Lexus bulletin from 11/23 stating the problem and the fix if replacing the PCM. They will not do it. They are replacing my regular gas with premium. Ridiculous

Old 04-11-24, 08:33 AM
GreenGobln
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Those papers are from November of 2023. There has been a simple update since then that should fix the issues. If they won't apply the update then go to another dealer. Also, the 2023 RX's require premium gas not regular. If you're using cheap gas that isn't premium you are going to see issues.
Old 04-11-24, 10:55 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGobln
Those papers are from November of 2023. There has been a simple update since then that should fix the issues. If they won't apply the update then go to another dealer. Also, the 2023 RX's require premium gas not regular. If you're using cheap gas that isn't premium you are going to see issues.
I suspect they are refusing because when they put in the VIN it doesn't come up as applicable for that car. If it's not in there, Lexus won't pay them for the work. Dealer probably can't duplicate either.
Old 04-11-24, 11:25 AM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchurch52
We ended up taking ours in to the dealer and of course they could not duplicate the issue. I started thinking about it and wondered if all of the proactive driver assist functions were the issue, basically playing nanny and not allowing us to pull out into what it felt was cross traffic. I disabled a bunch of them (need to verify which ones specifically) and haven't had the issue since.
They just turn back on the next time you start the car
Old 04-11-24, 11:57 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grudo
They just turn back on the next time you start the car
No they don't.
BLUKTY2 (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 04:26 PM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Urlik
No they don't.
So you can disable the "cross traffic" drive assist alerts and they stay off after you stop, exit, and restart the vehicle? If that's true then your model is different than every one on my local dealer's lot
Old 04-11-24, 04:31 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grudo
So you can disable the "cross traffic" drive assist alerts and they stay off after you stop, exit, and restart the vehicle? If that's true then your model is different than every one on my local dealer's lot
You said all come back on and all of them do not.
BLUKTY2 (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 04:32 PM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Urlik
You said all come back on and all of them do not.
Find the word "all" in any of my statements

Quick Reply: Hesitation on start on RX350 (non hybrid)