RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 07:10 PM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KPat23RX
I ended up getting a Compustar alarm with shock sensor and a push start interrupt. I was thinking about igla but at the moment I'm not in the GTA area but will be visiting soon. Hopefully I've done enough. Perhaps a Club to deter like you said. I haven't heard much about 2023 RX getting stolen except the one from Mississauga that was recovered.
2023 to my knowledge is tough from what I read on reddit due to titanium metal plates blocking access to the headlight

Old 07-24-23, 06:43 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kenvin100
As an IGLA user for RX350 2022, the Can Bus theft method will not work.

However, that does NOT account for the damages your vehicle may sustain as a result of pulling the bumper. I had mine stolen nearly twice past 3 months in two malls in the Toronto area-broad daylight....

So sure-your car will not be stolen-but you may need to pay for damaged incurred. Thinking of getting a steering wheel lock as a physical aid so thieves don't bother

I'm not convinced covering the VIN number will help-for starters it's technically illegal.

It's open season for any 4th GEN RX out there from 2016-2022. RAV4 and 2023 Lexus NX is next. Ontario and Quebec are in deep trouble.
great Data point. i should be getting mine next weekend, the excitement of it is a bit dampened by the theft factor

thinking of getting a sign made and laminating it (leave ir on the dash) so that they dont attempt to damage it.
Old 07-24-23, 06:46 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by KPat23RX
I ended up getting a Compustar alarm with shock sensor and a push start interrupt. I was thinking about igla but at the moment I'm not in the GTA area but will be visiting soon. Hopefully I've done enough. Perhaps a Club to deter like you said. I haven't heard much about 2023 RX getting stolen except the one from Mississauga that was recovered.
there was a highlander platinum stolen last week (ajax is what the caption said) where they cut the club (you could see sparks) after the car was started. it was parked at home. i think parking in the garage at your house is an absolute must

2023 to my knowledge is tough from what I read on reddit due to titanium metal plates blocking access to the headlight
i sincerely hope this is true
Old 07-25-23, 01:54 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Cann Bus theft is getting to be quite a big thing in the UK. Don't know about 5th gen, but for 4th gen Lexus have started retrofitting metal plates for people who ask for them. Maybe worth asking your dealer if the 5th gen is already protected or if a plate can be fitted.
The following users liked this post:
Eightk (07-30-23)
Old 08-06-23, 02:13 PM
KPat23RX
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI.. just looked under the car and behind the wheel liner. There is no titanium plate, nothing. Everything to hook up to the car is right behind the liner. So 2023 likely no different to steal. A titanium plate with sharp teeth would be a good idea.
Old 08-07-23, 08:23 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

@Deeps1 - high-end auto theft is a real thing in Ontario, I can't believe the number of Porches, Rovers, etc. that are stolen there. Funny thing, is I think I still have my old "Club" somewhere. Hard to believe I need it.
Deeps1 (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 10:13 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
@Deeps1 - high-end auto theft is a real thing in Ontario, I can't believe the number of Porches, Rovers, etc. that are stolen there. Funny thing, is I think I still have my old "Club" somewhere. Hard to believe I need it.
looks like i will have to get one as well. installed the igla. have a sign made which i will leave on the dash saying vehicle cant move without the codes in the hope any bums will read it before attempt to beak anything.
Old 08-07-23, 10:57 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

We have stickers for the windows that say the catalytic converter is engraved - do not steal. Probably should get some Lojack-type stickers, too.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Eagleboy99; 08-07-23 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Link
Old 08-08-23, 05:09 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

We have stickers for the windows that say the catalytic converter is engraved - do not steal. Probably should get some Lojack-type stickers, too. https://www.amazon.com/lojack-sticke...lojack+sticker
Any thief with even half a clue won't bother trying to steal the cat of the 2.4l turbo engine.
Old 08-08-23, 07:39 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

The meth heads doing the thieving will steal anything that looks like a cat. Resonators, mufflers, etc. I would hope that Lexus gets built-in protection like you can get on some Toyotas.
CCGS (09-12-23)
Old 08-08-23, 04:56 PM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
looks like i will have to get one as well. installed the igla. have a sign made which i will leave on the dash saying vehicle cant move without the codes in the hope any bums will read it before attempt to beak anything.
If any of you live in Markham Ontario, go for the StarLine instead-think of it as IGLA + Car Alarm.

I recently took out my IGLA for it-added protection-as I had two attempted break-ins at malls in Toronto. But yea you'll need to make some form of signage to prevent tampering. Potentilly stickers or even making your own magnetic decals would be a good idea-for at least a year until it passes over...

If anyone from the UK can DM me with pictures of the plates or any information provided from Lexus UK-I'd appreciate it as I'd like to provide the docs to Lexus Canada...
Old 09-09-23, 10:26 PM
DavidGilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urlik
Probably not since it is a recent phenomenon that popped up after MY23 assembly was set in stone. Fortunately stealing the car with CAN bus injection requires a $5K piece of hardware to do. It's really only done by criminal gangs in Ontario who ship the cars to Africa and the Middle East to be sold. The average joy riding car thief isn't going to be stealing your Lexus this way.
Its done using parts from a retrofitted cheap cheap jbl speaker and such. Def doesn't cost a lot. I'm sure some smart person wrote the code and is selling them ar a premium but the hardware required are very cheap chips found in common electronics
Old 09-10-23, 04:21 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Guess you didn’t read the link in post #4.
Old 09-10-23, 06:35 AM
DavidGilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urlik
Guess you didn’t read the link in post #4.
Yesbsorry, Sold for 5k on darkweb but can be made for a tiny fraction of that

"It turns out it’s about $10 of components: a PIC18F chip that contains CAN hardware, plus software pre-programmed into the chip (known as firmware), a CAN transceiver (a standard CAN chip that turns digital signals from the CAN hardware on the PIC18F into the analog voltages sent on CAN wires), and an extra circuit connected to the CAN transceiver (more on this shortly). The device takes its power from the speaker battery, and connects to a CAN bus."

Last edited by DavidGilly; 09-10-23 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 07:28 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

If any of you live in Markham Ontario, go for the StarLine instead-think of it as IGLA + Car Alarm.

I recently took out my IGLA for it-added protection-as I had two attempted break-ins at malls in Toronto. But yea you'll need to make some form of signage to prevent tampering. Potentilly stickers or even making your own magnetic decals would be a good idea-for at least a year until it passes over...

If anyone from the UK can DM me with pictures of the plates or any information provided from Lexus UK-I'd appreciate it as I'd like to provide the docs to Lexus Canada...
If you want your car to be efficiently stolen in Canada, just leave it at the Montreal airport....if it's a nice high end vehicle, it'll be on a ship bound for points East in short order. Been going on for decades...

Quick Reply: Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?