RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 08:02 AM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
If you want your car to be efficiently stolen in Canada, just leave it at the Montreal airport....if it's a nice high end vehicle, it'll be on a ship bound for points East in short order. Been going on for decades...
haha-I'm beyond appalled that there is no such scanning technology with respect to seeing what's inside containers. I accept we can't open all of them-but they can ship much worse items (i.e. drugs, weapons) like this...
Old 09-10-23, 09:21 AM
budwom
Advanced

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kenvin100
haha-I'm beyond appalled that there is no such scanning technology with respect to seeing what's inside containers. I accept we can't open all of them-but they can ship much worse items (i.e. drugs, weapons) like this...
Back when the Expos played in Montreal, many players of course had very high end vehicles...they'd go on a road trip for a week, park at Dorval, get back to the airport, and find the Porsche, Beemer or whatever long gone...
Old 09-29-23, 09:45 PM
elizabean
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenvin100
If any of you live in Markham Ontario, go for the StarLine instead-think of it as IGLA + Car Alarm.

I recently took out my IGLA for it-added protection-as I had two attempted break-ins at malls in Toronto. But yea you'll need to make some form of signage to prevent tampering. Potentilly stickers or even making your own magnetic decals would be a good idea-for at least a year until it passes over...

If anyone from the UK can DM me with pictures of the plates or any information provided from Lexus UK-I'd appreciate it as I'd like to provide the docs to Lexus Canada...
Can I ask what made you decide to take out the IGLA and get the Starline instead of just adding a car alarm with proximity sensor for example?
Old 09-30-23, 07:57 AM
KPat23RX
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they are doing something in the UK.
Old 09-30-23, 10:33 AM
RebornRX
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Trying to find solution…….. I owned a 2022 Executive RX. It was stolen in April CAN bus theft. I was able to track and recover the RX with the hidden AirTag. Between Police forensics, insurance, dealer, and back order of the GPS board. It cost insurance $10,000 plus my car rental to have my RX back after 3 months. During this time, I researched anti-theft devices and visited multiple installers. I received my RX on a Thursday before the Civic long weekend.

I was going to install the Starlink but never got the chance, The car was stolen again Sunday night. This time they found the AirTag and left it behind to be found, it was like giving me the finger. I’m convinced they put in their own tracker, I had the RX for only 3 days.

Two more months have passed since then and I just received my new 350h. I’ve decided to let nature take its course and not install any anti-theft devices. If you track your car and find it, it gets devalued with a Carfax Report. If you put in an anti-theft device your stuck with the repair costs of a failed attempt. Then there’s this horror story.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/wanted-kee...090000322.html
Old 09-30-23, 12:33 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

How are these things transported by the thieves? Towed away? Hot-wired?
Old 09-30-23, 12:55 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
How are these things transported by the thieves? Towed away? Hot-wired?
Old 09-30-23, 12:58 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I wonder if I ever sold my steering wheel locking bar? I guess a guy could also boot it. I would think The Club or similar might get them to move to another car.
Old 09-30-23, 01:01 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
I wonder if I ever sold my steering wheel locking bar? I guess a guy could also boot it. I would think The Club or similar might get them to move to another car.
I'm pretty sure it's basically an eastern Canada problem. Organized gangs are shipping them overseas.
Old 09-30-23, 01:02 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Yeah, like Mitch Marner's experience. And I guess "diversity is our strength" is not really working, is it? (Canadians will get that joke)
The following 2 users liked this post by Eagleboy99:
Bentru (10-17-23), kenvin100 (09-30-23)
Old 09-30-23, 01:07 PM
RebornRX
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They use a small device the size of your palm. They peel back the molding on the wheel well, then pull back the bumper to gain access to the front light wire harness. They connect the the electronic gizmo to the wire harness and send codes to the cars computer. The door unlock first, (an IGLA anti-theft will not prevent them from entering the car) then codes are send to start the car (the IGLA unit will block this signal). They drive it a few blocks away, reconnect the harness back to the front light to avoid being stopped, and break the cars GPS board.

The car is then parked in a residential area for a day or two. If nobody claims it, it's put it in a container and its gone. This is an organized crime operation worth billions of dollars. The Canadian ports do not check whats in the containers when its outbound.
The following users liked this post:
Bentru (10-17-23)
Old 09-30-23, 08:00 PM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elizabean
Can I ask what made you decide to take out the IGLA and get the Starline instead of just adding a car alarm with proximity sensor for example?
The thing about these IGLA is that the thief can unlock the door...I had two attempts in Toronto with the IGLA-the second attempt with them breaking my memory card from the dash cam and stealing some gift cards in the center console. They also tried going for the Lexus GPS but were unsuccessful.

IGLA works-but StarLine is like IGLA + Alarm-there's a lot more features & settings. In Europe, StarLine users can connect their cell phone and use as an app providing GPS and notifications of break-ins. This isn't availiable in Canada as of yet...but the alarm system is useful for me. I was told by my dealer that if the thief tries CANBUS again, they would be unable to get into the the vehicle-I can't verify that for sure...However, I did get a shock sensor installed near the driver side headlight area where the thief is breaking the trim moulding. Should they touch it, the alarm goes off. And even if they do get inside the vehicle, the thief will have 30 seconds to start the car and leave. If not, the car alarm goes off.

Hopefully at somepoint Canada gets the full StarLine app support.

The Greater Toronto Area is becoming the mecca of auto theft. GTA really does stand for Grand Theft Auto. Thefts have gone up 200% compared to the previous year. We have an idiot for a Prime Minister-where the economy & Canadian citizens are second class in what's becoming a third world country. People get arrested when they steal vehicles, put out on bail & then they try again. We have teenagers being arrested for stealing 6-7 cars...it's quite bad in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...They're stealing vehicles in broad day light (which nearly happened to me twice in the past 3 months) at local malls, cinemas, supermarkets-where the sun is still up. Video below is why I removed the IGLA and went for the StarLine-with supply chain of new vehicles being so poor I want to say I tried everything.

The following users liked this post:
Eagleboy99 (09-30-23)
Old 10-01-23, 10:52 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I think I would use a Club or similar if parked in a public place.
Or maybe put something like this inside the front fenders for the thieves to discover when they try the Canbus hack. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SX522_.jpg
Old 10-01-23, 11:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I am afraid we, in the United States, are considered collateral damage.
Old 10-01-23, 06:51 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Amazon just delivered a couple of RFID pouches. They work well.

Quick Reply: Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?