RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 07:14 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Amazon just delivered a couple of RFID pouches. They work well.
So does turning off the remotes. Neither will help with a can bus attack theft like they have in Ontario though.
Old 10-01-23, 07:47 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

A couple of 9 mm will take care of a Canbus attack.
Old 10-12-23, 07:10 AM
BlueLex350
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
While intercepting fob codes is a thing, that too has nothing to do with remote start. You don't even need a faraday bag for your Lexus key, just put the key in sleep mode by holding the lock button and pushing unlock twice and the light will flash 4 times to confirm. Here is a good article on how organized groups are stealing them in Canada to ship them overseas, this isn't done much in the US at this point. https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/18/...PO2yBwCGZm8i6s
This will help for sure. I live in Canada and my mother in-law was so concerned about the thefts happening.
It will also save on battery life.

Funny though, when we bought the car and picked it up, she said congrats but by the way your car is easy to steal, here is a news report on it. Thanks mom…

Old 10-12-23, 12:25 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLex350
This will help for sure. I live in Canada and my mother in-law was so concerned about the thefts happening.
It will also save on battery life.

Sleep mode

Funny though, when we bought the car and picked it up, she said congrats but by the way your car is easy to steal, here is a news report on it. Thanks mom…
Just don't leave it in Montreal or you'll never see it again.
Old 10-12-23, 07:05 PM
RebornRX
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Just don't leave it in Montreal or you'll never see it again.
I lost 2 of them, one in MTL the other in Toronto
Old 10-13-23, 10:14 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RebornRX
I lost 2 of them, one in MTL the other in Toronto
Ouch! By any chance at the airport? Some high level theft ring has been operating up there for decades now...when the Expos played in Montreal, the players would go on road trips, drive their Porsches and Lexi to the airport, return in 10 days and find the cars gone...on cargo ships in the port before you can bat an eye.
Old 10-15-23, 06:53 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RebornRX
Trying to find solution…….. I owned a 2022 Executive RX. It was stolen in April CAN bus theft. I was able to track and recover the RX with the hidden AirTag. Between Police forensics, insurance, dealer, and back order of the GPS board. It cost insurance $10,000 plus my car rental to have my RX back after 3 months. During this time, I researched anti-theft devices and visited multiple installers. I received my RX on a Thursday before the Civic long weekend.

I was going to install the Starlink but never got the chance, The car was stolen again Sunday night. This time they found the AirTag and left it behind to be found, it was like giving me the finger. I’m convinced they put in their own tracker, I had the RX for only 3 days.

Two more months have passed since then and I just received my new 350h. I’ve decided to let nature take its course and not install any anti-theft devices. If you track your car and find it, it gets devalued with a Carfax Report. If you put in an anti-theft device your stuck with the repair costs of a failed attempt. Then there’s this horror story.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/wanted-kee...090000322.html
And below is a follow up to that story. This really pisses me off. Lexus needs to step up and do something. They've lost at least 2 customers, this guy and me. If our NX is stolen, we're going to replace it with another brand. When it's time to replace this one and Lexus still ranks high on the theft list, we're moving on. Shame as we've owned 3 RX's and now the NX. We really like owning/driving the product but we are traumatized by the theft experience and the thought of not knowing if the car will be where we left it. For context, we had our 2020 RX350 stolen last December from the self parking lot of Park N Fly at YYZ. After much grief, we replaced that with a 23 NX 350h in February. Tried the Autowatch Ghost immobilizer, but that didn't work out (issues with the valet mode), so we removed it. It's similar to the IGLA system. We now use a club with a combination lock in higher risk lots. Was hoping this new generation RX/NX had technology that would defend against theft, as was hinted by the sales folks, but that is obviously not the case.

My neighbour who's 2022 ES was stolen 2 weeks ago from the terminal 1 lot at Toronto airport was told by the Toronto police detective who helped him get it back that if you don't want your Lexus stolen, buy a Mazda. His professional opinion is they never get stolen! I agree this is an issue that needs to be resolved on multiple fronts and the legal system needs to be modified as well, but it begins with the car. If they are this easy to steal, it's up to the manufacturer to do something. The really frustrating thing is that the technology does exist. Why doesn't Lexus/Toyota acknowledge they have a problem and integrate this into the cars? They have no issue integrating all kinds of tech, they have the engineering clout to do this. Not much of a leap to buy out one of these systems and design it in. Can even be a retrofit for current owners.

In the interim, I'd like to send a letter to the president of Lexus Canada. If anyone can share his email, I'm sure many others here would also do that. I've been told by dealership folks that guests writing letters gets action, more so than dealership feedback. So if enough of us do this, maybe they will listen and work on a resolution. Once they see sales impacted, they will definitely take action.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...vice-1.6994007

Old 10-15-23, 07:23 AM
BerthoudPa
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

But do we have examples of the '23 being stolen?
Old 10-15-23, 08:37 AM
budwom
Intermediate

I do think there's more to it that "easy to steal." It's a market out there, even among thieves, and a Lexus represents a much better payday than a Mazda. Which is why I usually bring my older, less valuable car to Montreal when I visit.
The following users liked this post:
kenvin100 (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 08:43 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Not just Montreal. Edmonton for crying out loud! https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/M...xusTheftsAug30

The EPS Targeted Response to Auto-theft Prevention team (TRAP) is investigating thefts of Lexus RX350 models throughout Edmonton. Most are 2019 to 2022 model years, but a few 2016 to 2017 model years have also been targeted. Nearly 50 Lexus RX350 SUVs have been stolen in Alberta in 2023, with 19 being from Edmonton and of those 6 occurring in the past 24 hours.
Old 10-15-23, 08:58 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BerthoudPa
But do we have examples of the '23 being stolen?
See the photo in the article? He bought a 2023 RX350h, was stolen within months.
Old 10-15-23, 09:37 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
See the photo in the article? He bought a 2023 RX350h, was stolen within months.
Which article?
Old 10-15-23, 10:19 AM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Which article?

I feel the owner could've first looked into the malfunction in his vehicle before installing the IGLA system.

But in all honesty any car can be stolen. I suspect they picked the door lock and then used an OBD port method to start the car. These are common "lock-smith" or "dealer" functions. You can put as much security in your house-but a thief can still break into the home. It sucks...

But in Canada, go after-market security regardless of vehicle. At least until police really crack down and stop the port in Montreal-could be a while
Old 10-15-23, 06:48 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
And below is a follow up to that story. This really pisses me off. Lexus needs to step up and do something. They've lost at least 2 customers, this guy and me. If our NX is stolen, we're going to replace it with another brand. When it's time to replace this one and Lexus still ranks high on the theft list, we're moving on. Shame as we've owned 3 RX's and now the NX. We really like owning/driving the product but we are traumatized by the theft experience and the thought of not knowing if the car will be where we left it. For context, we had our 2020 RX350 stolen last December from the self parking lot of Park N Fly at YYZ. After much grief, we replaced that with a 23 NX 350h in February. Tried the Autowatch Ghost immobilizer, but that didn't work out (issues with the valet mode), so we removed it. It's similar to the IGLA system. We now use a club with a combination lock in higher risk lots. Was hoping this new generation RX/NX had technology that would defend against theft, as was hinted by the sales folks, but that is obviously not the case.

My neighbour who's 2022 ES was stolen 2 weeks ago from the terminal 1 lot at Toronto airport was told by the Toronto police detective who helped him get it back that if you don't want your Lexus stolen, buy a Mazda. His professional opinion is they never get stolen! I agree this is an issue that needs to be resolved on multiple fronts and the legal system needs to be modified as well, but it begins with the car. If they are this easy to steal, it's up to the manufacturer to do something. The really frustrating thing is that the technology does exist. Why doesn't Lexus/Toyota acknowledge they have a problem and integrate this into the cars? They have no issue integrating all kinds of tech, they have the engineering clout to do this. Not much of a leap to buy out one of these systems and design it in. Can even be a retrofit for current owners.

In the interim, I'd like to send a letter to the president of Lexus Canada. If anyone can share his email, I'm sure many others here would also do that. I've been told by dealership folks that guests writing letters gets action, more so than dealership feedback. So if enough of us do this, maybe they will listen and work on a resolution. Once they see sales impacted, they will definitely take action.

Has your NX been stolen? It has the newer security on the CANBUS so it shouldn't be as easy to steal.

I'm surprised the 23 was stolen. It has the newer CANBUS also. It makes me think someone on the inside already made a key but Toyota can check that in TIS. OBD can't just be used to start the car right away anymore. I'm wondering if this is just the only one that will get stolen though. Any vehicle with the new security loses its overseas theft market fast once they realize they can't repair or make new keys at all.
Old 10-15-23, 09:31 PM
RebornRX
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoPDemon
Has your NX been stolen? It has the newer security on the CANBUS so it shouldn't be as easy to steal.

I'm surprised the 23 was stolen. It has the newer CANBUS also. It makes me think someone on the inside already made a key but Toyota can check that in TIS. OBD can't just be used to start the car right away anymore. I'm wondering if this is just the only one that will get stolen though. Any vehicle with the new security loses its overseas theft market fast once they realize they can't repair or make new keys at all.
Lexus disclosed the new NX has Ultrawideband technology, but no such statement can be found for the RX. Granted I assume all new redesigned Lexus’s will have the new key Fob tech. There is also no official report form Lexus regarding modifications to the CAN Bus, I can’t find any info that the new RX microcontrollers and devices will prevent CAN Bus & OBD hacking. I’ve been to 3 dealers and they don’t have any documented proof from Lexus, they just don’t know. If you know where I can find this information, let me know.

I’ve flipflopped on a daily bases about installing an aftermarket security system. I’m having a hard time evaluating what system best suits my use. I’m looking for real world ease of use, I don’t want to play with valet codes to turn the system on or off, try and explain that to my wife. I want to be alerted when the car is being towed away or broken into, like when I’m in a movie theater.

Nothing out there will 100% prevent theft , I understand that. Evaluating everything I think an on/off aftermarket alarm that makes lots of noise (Compustar with push start interrupt) will deter most thieves, and can prevent it from being towed away. Next problem…….. I’m still on the dealers first tank of gas, how long do I wait until any of my future mechanical issues are resolved before adding an alarm.

Quick Reply: Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?