RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 05:20 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GoPDemon
Has your NX been stolen? It has the newer security on the CANBUS so it shouldn't be as easy to steal.

I'm surprised the 23 was stolen. It has the newer CANBUS also. It makes me think someone on the inside already made a key but Toyota can check that in TIS. OBD can't just be used to start the car right away anymore. I'm wondering if this is just the only one that will get stolen though. Any vehicle with the new security loses its overseas theft market fast once they realize they can't repair or make new keys at all.
NO, my NX replaced my stolen 2020 RX! You must have read it wrong.
Old 10-16-23, 09:55 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RebornRX
Lexus disclosed the new NX has Ultrawideband technology, but no such statement can be found for the RX. Granted I assume all new redesigned Lexus’s will have the new key Fob tech. There is also no official report form Lexus regarding modifications to the CAN Bus, I can’t find any info that the new RX microcontrollers and devices will prevent CAN Bus & OBD hacking. I’ve been to 3 dealers and they don’t have any documented proof from Lexus, they just don’t know. If you know where I can find this information, let me know.

I’ve flipflopped on a daily bases about installing an aftermarket security system. I’m having a hard time evaluating what system best suits my use. I’m looking for real world ease of use, I don’t want to play with valet codes to turn the system on or off, try and explain that to my wife. I want to be alerted when the car is being towed away or broken into, like when I’m in a movie theater.

Nothing out there will 100% prevent theft , I understand that. Evaluating everything I think an on/off aftermarket alarm that makes lots of noise (Compustar with push start interrupt) will deter most thieves, and can prevent it from being towed away. Next problem…….. I’m still on the dealers first tank of gas, how long do I wait until any of my future mechanical issues are resolved before adding an alarm.
I'm not in programming or anything like that myself... but Comma AI unable to access 2021+ fully new models is what leads me to believe CANBUS is not accessible.

https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/discussions/19932
Old 10-16-23, 09:56 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Originally Posted by KPat23RX

Looks like they are doing something in the UK.

I would really like to see these plates and if there is a part number. As far as I can tell they are retro fitting these on the 4th gen and there is nothing on the 5th gen.
Old 10-16-23, 01:37 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Here's another article on the same 2023 RX owner from a different media outlet. Includes some details on an electrical issue this owner had that perhpas some of you may or may not have.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/s...system-removed
Old 10-16-23, 06:31 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

after reading the pins were loose on the ECU it really does sound like whoever installed the IGLA ****ed up....

Just looked up IGLA and its pretty neat. I saw you can make it so you need a button combo on your wheel to even start the car. It kind of blocks the canbus until you do it.
Old 10-17-23, 01:13 PM
Geo2269
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disklok on 2024 RX 350

Hello,

With all the thefts going on in Canada (Toronto, Montreal). I was wondering if anyone had any reviews or recommendations on utilizing this device on their steering wheel? Is is an effective deterrent or are there other recommended products?
Old 10-17-23, 03:49 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

How are they stealing them? FOB intercept/cloning?
Old 10-17-23, 04:32 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Canbus attack.
Old 10-17-23, 05:39 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

I guess we will see if more 5th gens get stolen but personally I find this one very suspicious. He obviously didn't want the car anymore.
Old 10-17-23, 07:37 PM
Slackbus
Driver

I guess we will see if more 5th gens get stolen but personally I find this one very suspicious. He obviously didn't want the car anymore.
The way I interpreted this is that the thief gained entry using the physical key lock (lock pick) and I’m assuming then used the obd port to steal the car.
This gives me some hope that the canbus is now protected, forcing this theft method.
i had not heard of any new software protections for the obd port. Does anyone have any info on that?
Old 10-18-23, 06:25 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

I don’t think you can just make a new key with access to the OBD and the ignition being off. If both keys are lost the procedure is to reprogram the immobilizer from HQ.
Old 10-18-23, 05:40 PM
Slackbus
Driver

I don’t think you can just make a new key with access to the OBD and the ignition being off. If both keys are lost the procedure is to reprogram the immobilizer from HQ.
it doesn’t appear to be as such, it looks like the second video demonstrates the car can be off.

OBD Theft
Old 10-19-23, 11:56 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Tried to find more info on this headlight block out plate for the last gen but no one wants to show a picture or part number in the UK forums.
The following users liked this post:
kenvin100 (11-22-23)
Old 10-22-23, 04:10 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

after reading the pins were loose on the ECU it really does sound like whoever installed the IGLA ****ed up....

Just looked up IGLA and its pretty neat. I saw you can make it so you need a button combo on your wheel to even start the car. It kind of blocks the canbus until you do it.
Originally Posted by Geo2269
Hello,

With all the thefts going on in Canada (Toronto, Montreal). I was wondering if anyone had any reviews or recommendations on utilizing this device on their steering wheel? Is is an effective deterrent or are there other recommended products?
I have the IGLA installed. you need to enter a combination before the vehicle can be put in drive. also made a laminated siogn saying it has IGLA which i sometimes leave on the dash in case the bums care to read it first.
The following users liked this post:
kenvin100 (11-22-23)
Old 11-21-23, 06:48 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

funnily enough someone made a video about some forum posts about thefts..

The following 3 users liked this post by GoPDemon:
Deeps1 (11-22-23), IS3Fguy (02-13-24), kenvin100 (11-22-23)

Quick Reply: Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?