RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23 | 07:20 AM
Deeps1
Pit Crew

Excellent video. We should be in good shape hopefully.
Old 11-22-23 | 12:46 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

This is a very informative video, tells us a lot of how thefts are being perpetrated with the "old" design. It is encouraging, but as LSFT intimates, it's likely a matter of time before the thieves get the source code and are able to bypass this new generation security regime. I still think an IGLA type of system, built into each car, is a solution. I had something similar in my NX and it worked, until I tried to use valet mode. Then it didn't. Likely because the programming of the device for that mode was a real problem for the manufacturer. So if Toyota/Lexus built it into the cars, it would function properly because they know the software intimately. Look at the effort they have put into this new process to date. Take it a couple steps further and it would be that much better. Just my 2 cents.

So for now we're likely OK. But the market for these cars is just too lucrative for the thieves to ignore, It's a big business for organized crime, particularly bad around the Toronto Canada area. They'll be working hard to get a solution.

Also, the new key fobs go into sleep mode when they haven't moved for 30 seconds. So the key cloning issue should be mostly resolved. A farady cage likely isn't necessary.

I have a club like bar with a combination lock, for those times I'm parked in what I consider a vulnerable area. Lots of You Tube videos show how easy it is to drill out the key lock on that type of bar. It'll stop the joy riders, but as LSFT states, if the serious guys want the car, they'll get it.
The following users liked this post:
Bentru (11-22-23)
Old 03-05-24 | 10:18 PM
javani
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 5th GEN 2023-Present Stolen

went in for my regular service for my RX 350 at Ken Shaw Lexus - then I spotted this in the workshop. i asked my service advisor if this car was stolen and he did confirm that it was indeed stolen by breaking the rear passenger window then creating a new key fob via OBD port. sad to see this happen - IGLA would of saved this car from being stolen and it would of been just a glass claim

even though the canbus wires are encrypted it doesn't stop thieves using other forms of theft! IGLA for the WIN!!
God bless and stay safe folks!
Old 03-06-24 | 05:49 AM
budwom
Advanced

so weird that this is almost entirely a Canadian issue....odd for a country that is otherwise so comparatively civilized.....but I've witnessed the problem in Montreal over the last 40+ years, so I do understand...a massive pain in the butt I would imagine.
Old 03-06-24 | 07:23 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

No country governed by politicians who have effectively abandoned crime enforcement, is "civilized" anymore. There are plenty of bad actors in every society, and when they face no penalties for law breaking, they destroy the civilized society for everyone else. I don't even go to the big malls anymore, and I never buy gas after dark - and that's on Long Island, not even NYC.
The following 5 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
autotech13 (03-07-24), Bitterroot (03-06-24), coolbrazz (03-06-24), jaxn1010 (03-06-24), wa3cuj (03-06-24)
Old 03-07-24 | 02:35 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by javani

went in for my regular service for my RX 350 at Ken Shaw Lexus - then I spotted this in the workshop. i asked my service advisor if this car was stolen and he did confirm that it was indeed stolen by breaking the rear passenger window then creating a new key fob via OBD port. sad to see this happen - IGLA would of saved this car from being stolen and it would of been just a glass claim

even though the canbus wires are encrypted it doesn't stop thieves using other forms of theft! IGLA for the WIN!!
A club might have deterred them from trying to steal it at all, resulting in no claim, glass or otherwise.

Neighbour had his 2022 ES350 stolen last year from Toronto Airport terminal 1 parking garage with the same MO, smashed the passenger side rear window and then took the car. Wondering if this might be the same gang/group doing the theft.
lexusnyca (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24 | 04:51 PM
javani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JasDmw
A club might have deterred them from trying to steal it at all, resulting in no claim, glass or otherwise.

Neighbour had his 2022 ES350 stolen last year from Toronto Airport terminal 1 parking garage with the same MO, smashed the passenger side rear window and then took the car. Wondering if this might be the same gang/group doing the theft.

I would agree in the past probably the club would’ve been effective but I had 2 of my coworkers use a club on their RX 350 2021’- just to thwart thieves away. One of them ended up with cut steering wheel after it was found by police. The other one’s car wasn’t even found but she’d always use a steering club and that steering lock was found on her driveway. These crimes all happened in the Etobicoke area. Moreover, poor ladies regret not getting the IGLA system I advised them about. I just wanted to give her the info that has saved my car 2 times from thieves in mall parking lots (Sherway and square one) after it was recovered from being stolen last year:

look at the below video - it makes sense with the sort of the damage they do! It is basically cosmetic and not harmful to the actual vehicle itself (or else the they wouldn’t be able to sell it overseas)

- steering wheel can be easily replaced
- headlight can just be connected back
- window can be replaced
- the gps system

look at a similar system like IGLA in action below - thieves don’t have the ability to spend days on end taking apart your car to find a litttle device that is discretely embedded in you car to then disconnect it and then start your car. car is safe and secure and just needs the wheel well to be fixed and headlight plugged back.

decision is yours - prevention is better than cure!! Stay safe and God bless!

Old 03-07-24 | 07:17 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Hmmm to me that 2023 RX doesn’t confirm it was stolen just an attempt at being stolen.
Measured (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24 | 07:59 PM
javani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoPDemon
Hmmm to me that 2023 RX doesn’t confirm it was stolen just an attempt at being stolen.
so if the service advisor himself says it was stolen then recovered you don't believe that? boomers man

​​​​​​https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...vice-1.6994007

what about this - u dont believe this too?
Old 03-07-24 | 09:44 PM
RebornRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by javani
so if the service advisor himself says it was stolen then recovered you don't believe that? boomers man

​​​​​​https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...vice-1.6994007

what about this - u dont believe this too?
IMHO, “Service Advisor” is a distorted title for service salesman. Their expertise is to trap you into additional maintenance expenses. A good service advisor generates revenue.

I was assured the dealer can’t cut a key for the 23/24 models. They have no access and are locked into a system. They must first place a request at corporate and wait for a code to be entered for that vin number. Creating a key via ODB port is questionable, or I’ve been misled.

The link you posted says the car was stolen from a lot with no security or cameras. It could have been towed away. Nobody knows how the car was stolen.

Oh one more thing, the picture with the broken window. You know the service advisor that works at Ken Shaw.
Ken Shaw was the dealer in your CBC link. They are the one that diagnosed the problem to a $20,000 wire harness. They are the ones that blamed the installation of the aftermarket device. They are the one that voided his warrantee.

This from the article I linked below. “and at least one other Toyota dealer — believe was caused not by the installation of the aftermarket alarm, but by a production error during manufacture. He was told electronic control unit (ECU) pins (not part of the wiring harness) were loose or damaged. These pins were fixed at the second dealership.” The car was problem free when the pins were fixed.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/s...system-removed

Measured (03-07-24)
Old 03-08-24 | 06:10 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

My point here is that this generation RX/NX appears to be vulnerable too. That's on Lexus, as we all know there are technologies out there that could be easily integrated. My HP laptop has a fingerprint reader. My Galaxy watch has a log in code as does my S23 phone. So why can't they put that tech into cars costing as much as they do? Sure the legal system here needs to be upgraded, but if they were that much harder to steal, the problem would be that much less.

For me, a recorded theft ends up reducing the value of the car by a LOT. I would never buy a theft recovery. That neighbour I mentioned had his car in the shop for 4 months waiting on parts to get it put back together again. No damage to the exterior, but the headliner was ripped apart and a bunch of electronics were messed up when the thieves ripped out parts behind the overhead console. He subsequently traded it in. The dealership did a great job putting it back together, but the theft is still recorded and the carfax showed it. I'm glad my 2020 RX was never recovered. Yes the parts are replaceable, but in the end the value of the car has diminished greatly.

BTW, my steering wheel lock has a combination code on it, not a key. I too saw those videos where the key was drilled out in seconds. It's a deterrent, not a fool proof solution. I still hold firm, if my NX is stolen, the replacement wont be a Lexus.
autotech13 (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24 | 10:20 AM
Measured
Advanced

ANY vehicle is vulnerable to theft. once they have access inside your vehicle. They can make off with it. Only theft deterrents will stop or slow them down.

check this guys post on Reddit

‘24 Lexus IS stolen
Old 03-08-24 | 11:59 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Yes, but the point is that all these "keyless" convenience feature have opened up a huge vulnerability here, and I don't see the manufacturers fixing any of it. They should give the option to permanently disable keyless entry for example.
JasDmw (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24 | 12:20 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Yes, but the point is that all these "keyless" convenience feature have opened up a huge vulnerability here, and I don't see the manufacturers fixing any of it. They should give the option to permanently disable keyless entry for example.
If they still put key locks on the doors, you could do that yourself by removing the antenna leads for the keyless system. Typically there are three, both sides and the rear.
Old 03-10-24 | 12:01 AM
Measured
Advanced

Apparently our CANBUS is now encrypted on the 5th gen models. Plus the FOB's now use UWB or Ultra wide band

Updated ECU's

From Lexus directly regarding FOB's

Lexus EU - UWB

Drivers also benefit from unprecedented peace of mind with the latest NX via Ultra-Wideband (UWB) keyless theft prevention technology, introduced as standard across the range*. The risk of theft is reduced because the UWB technology detects not only the approximate distance between key and car, as in traditional keyless entry systems; it identifies the exact location. Precise, real-time and tamper-proof positioning of the key ensures the NX operates only for its rightful users.
This is from the NX group on here.

Click Me

Locally I am looking at options for a 3rd party alarm system like compustar. Anyone explore these options themselves?

EDIT: found some more information

CANBUS Encrypted

This to me appears to have addressed the concerns.

Last edited by Measured; 03-10-24 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?