RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does the 5RX have the same theft issue as 4RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 04:49 PM
superjer
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Measured
You do realize any vehicle can be stolen. It isn't a Lexus only problem. You buy a desirable vehicle and you'll find it missing one day if it's on the top list of vehicles to ship out of country.

I don't care to win you over with facts in the automotive world, but perhaps you should open your eyes a little to the issues around vehicle theft.

Your chart proves the point. The RX’s theft frequency is only second In comparison to the Range Rover. Absolute values aren’t as important to look at.
Old 04-06-24, 10:10 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
So here's a question for my Canadian friends, as this seems to be overwhelmingly a Canadian issue. I live 40 miles from the border, and local cops just announced that they are seeing a number of Vermont cars (with Vermont plates) returning from visits to Montreal with little Apple tracking devices on them. They gave no details, so it's hard to figure what this is about. Will thieves come down to Vermont to steal cars?(seems dubious)...are the devices only found on upscale cars? The whole story begs more questions than it answers..any ideas from The Frozen North?
Saw news report recently that explains this better. Apparently creative smugglers are using air tags to identify US bound cars that have hidden contraband. Could be anything from drugs to the cash payment for guns or drugs smuggled into Canada. The stash the stuff somewhere inconspicuous on the car and then add a tag. Once across the border, the recipient finds the car and takes the merch. Pretty creative. Could be dangerous for the owner, though.
Old 05-12-24, 12:46 PM
EagleMan1954
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System For 2024 RX350H

Been doing a lot of reading about 2024 RX350H and noticed there is concern about the ease of breaking into one of these and stealing them—that Lexus knows about this but will not address it. Is this true? If so, what is the best security system to add to your car?
Old 05-19-24, 05:41 PM
Outis
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Rx350h 5th Gen. - Stolen news

Not seeing much news , but wanted to know if anyone had their or heard of 5th Gen. RX350/h stolen? Via canbus or relay or any other ways? Are we seeing a drastic reduction in newer generation RXs?
Old 05-19-24, 07:15 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Outis
Not seeing much news , but wanted to know if anyone had their or heard of 5th Gen. RX350/h stolen? Via canbus or relay or any other ways? Are we seeing a drastic reduction in newer generation RXs?
Starting at post 78 in this thread. For Gen 5s they break a rear window and connect to the OBD port to dupe a key. CanBUS injection doesn’t work for now.
Old 05-25-24, 11:46 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

So it appears 21+ Toyota security keys vehicles have an easy way of being stolen now. Looking back Only in the last 2-3 months have Tundra thefts exploded. They weren't even touched in 2023.

Old 05-25-24, 01:16 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Anyone using an OBD lock?
Old 05-27-24, 07:24 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

I saw a video of how it is done. OBD port is bypassed and they wire directly to the security ECU. An aftermarket immobilizer is probably whats needed at this point.
Old 06-16-24, 08:47 PM
RebornRX
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After watching the video, I decided to drive to a dealer and see if any 23/24 recovered RX’s are on the lot. This was a mid-size dealer, I walked around the back and found 5 RX’s with broken rear windows. Interiors were ripped apart in different ways, there was no common theme. I witnessed the glove boxes removed, A-Pillar dismantled to exposed wiring, and center console ripped out. 3 different focal points used to successfully steal the RX, I could not tell if the OBD port was tampered with looking through the window. All had the rear window broken as the main access point

I can say with confidence the thieves are not deterred; the damage caused in these thefts are far beyond a CAN Bus attack. An aftermarket immobilizer will keep your RX where you left it 99.7% of the time, but the condition you find it in may not be pleasant.

The common denominator seems to be the broken rear window. I’m now looking for a glass break alarm to reduce the risk of damage prior to the immobilizer kicking in.
Old 06-17-24, 04:41 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

I use YoLink on amazon, but it only works at home with wifi, unless you want to hotspot the hub with your phone.
Old 08-05-24, 06:36 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

So here is a very interesting article on theft in Canada and the impact it's having on insurance rates. One of the vehicles is your beloved RX, 2020 and onwards. The most interesting inference is that CAA insurance, which I have, is pushing manufacturers to make their vehicles more difficult to steal by focussing on the type of deterrent system. This is what I have been promoting since my RX was stolen December 2022. Interesting to see the Autowatch Ghost 2 on the list. I had that in my NX when I bought that in early 2023. However, it didn't function that well and I subsequently had it removed. Perhaps they have worked the bugs out of it. I may have another look.

Lorraine Explains: Insurers adding $1,500 surcharge on Canada's most stolen vehicles

Last edited by JasDmw; 08-05-24 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eagleboy99 (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 07:08 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Interesting. In Canada auto thieves are generally "new Canadians" with ties to their home country. And if caught, they are out on bail in literally hours. Some justice system.
Old 08-05-24, 08:31 AM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RebornRX
After watching the video, I decided to drive to a dealer and see if any 23/24 recovered RX’s are on the lot. This was a mid-size dealer, I walked around the back and found 5 RX’s with broken rear windows. Interiors were ripped apart in different ways, there was no common theme. I witnessed the glove boxes removed, A-Pillar dismantled to exposed wiring, and center console ripped out. 3 different focal points used to successfully steal the RX, I could not tell if the OBD port was tampered with looking through the window. All had the rear window broken as the main access point

I can say with confidence the thieves are not deterred; the damage caused in these thefts are far beyond a CAN Bus attack. An aftermarket immobilizer will keep your RX where you left it 99.7% of the time, but the condition you find it in may not be pleasant.

The common denominator seems to be the broken rear window. I’m now looking for a glass break alarm to reduce the risk of damage prior to the immobilizer kicking in.
And I thought the 4th gen had it bad-its just some minor plastic clips damage

I can't imagine trying to fix a 5th gen-might as well avoid RX350 for the indefinite future.....
Old 08-05-24, 10:32 AM
mookiwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Had no idea about this. Anyone use a steering wheel locking bar when traveling in cities? Recommendations?
Old 08-05-24, 03:00 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

I have one with a combination lock. Lots of YouTube videos of thieves drilling out the key lock on that style. Just search on Amazon, lot's there.