RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Noise and "crunchy" feeling in brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 07:00 AM
mcabutti
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Noise and "crunchy" feeling in brake pedal

Just picked up an RX350 hybrid. When the car is in drive and I depress the brake pedal (even if the car is not moving), I hear a slight whooshing noise and have a "crunchy" vibration feeling in the pedal. Anyone else have this, and is there a remedy? Thanks!

Last edited by mcabutti; 07-17-23 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-17-23, 07:23 AM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Doesn't sound right. Had my 350h since April and never this... I would say to have it checked out.
Old 07-17-23, 08:34 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost want to say it may be the EV system's regen braking working but not entirely sure
Old 07-17-23, 09:31 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...he-pedals.html

When I read your comment my first thought was I wonder if their trim is also not correctly fastened and it’s rubbing the brake pedal. Probably not what you’re feeling but stranger things have happened.
Old 07-18-23, 02:13 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mcabutti
Just picked up an RX350 hybrid. When the car is in drive and I depress the brake pedal (even if the car is not moving), I hear a slight whooshing noise and have a "crunchy" vibration feeling in the pedal. Anyone else have this, and is there a remedy? Thanks!
I had a ES300h and that is brake actuator mechanism sound. If you put enough pressure coming to a slow stop, you can hear it whirring for about 2 seconds. It annoyed me every time, especially compared to regular ICE cars that don't have that. Sometimes you may also notice that the brake pedal takes a lot more force to depress, and then loosens the second time when starting the car.
Old 07-18-23, 03:05 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

No crunchy sound here. Sometimes you hear a faint whirring sound, just before coming to a stop, but I know from other Lexus, it is regenerative braking!

I put almost 120K on an 450h and service department said the brakes were still excellent.
Old 04-29-24, 12:29 PM
Rov
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 2024 RX 350h which I took delivery of in early April. After driving it for a while I noticed that there was a slight buzzing or vibration in the brake pedal. It also felt as though the brakes were engaging and releasing ever so slightly. The issue was more pronounced at higher speed (above 35 mph) when you applied the brakes. It did not affect barking or cause the vehicle to steer left or right. I was very concerned that this issue could get worse, so I took the vehicle into my Lexus dealer. My vehicle had less than 700 miles on the clock. They could find nothing wrong with the rotors or calipers. The mechanic took the vehicle for a test drive and stated that he could not feel the vibration. I was rather dismayed. Based on something the Service Advisor said, I tried an experiment. I turned off the "Traction Control." The brake pedal vibration was gone and the issue with slight engagement / release of the brakes went away. The braking was smooth as silk. I am going to keep monitoring this issue, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? And does anyone have an explanation as to why the Traction Control might be causing this issue? Your thoughts and feedback would be helpful.
Old 04-29-24, 03:07 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rov
I have a new 2024 RX 350h which I took delivery of in early April. After driving it for a while I noticed that there was a slight buzzing or vibration in the brake pedal. It also felt as though the brakes were engaging and releasing ever so slightly. The issue was more pronounced at higher speed (above 35 mph) when you applied the brakes. It did not affect barking or cause the vehicle to steer left or right. I was very concerned that this issue could get worse, so I took the vehicle into my Lexus dealer. My vehicle had less than 700 miles on the clock. They could find nothing wrong with the rotors or calipers. The mechanic took the vehicle for a test drive and stated that he could not feel the vibration. I was rather dismayed. Based on something the Service Advisor said, I tried an experiment. I turned off the "Traction Control." The brake pedal vibration was gone and the issue with slight engagement / release of the brakes went away. The braking was smooth as silk. I am going to keep monitoring this issue, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? And does anyone have an explanation as to why the Traction Control might be causing this issue? Your thoughts and feedback would be helpful.
Do you have Proactive Driving Assist enabled? If so, try turning that off but leave traction control on.
Old 04-29-24, 06:55 PM
Rov
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proactive Driving Assist is disabled. I have never enabled it.
Old 04-30-24, 06:36 AM
Derek305T
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you can call Lexus and have a representative meet you at the dealer to asses the issue. Keep in mind dealers and service guys are boiler room type of guys; only management are sometimes customer oriented, and of course in this case Lexus.