RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Brand new Lexus RX350 has issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 03:44 AM
thesemes
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
The oil change is not going to fix these issues. Unless is like the issue with the Camry V6 engines 12 years ago when they called it engine oil gelling.
we had the oil changed twice (under 600 miles in total) per the dealer. originally told it was "manufacturer debris". this didnt do any good and the failures reappeared after a couple of miles.
The following users liked this post:
Lrobby99 (02-16-24)
Old 08-18-23, 04:07 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,053 Likes on 782 Posts

I believe that Toyota engineers are working diligently to solve that issue but I don’t think they can do it overnight, I believe there’s a fundamental problem with this engine.
Old 08-18-23, 04:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
I believe that Toyota engineers are working diligently to solve that issue but I don’t think they can do it overnight, I believe there’s a fundamental problem with this engine.
Wow this one sound a b it scary.
Old 08-18-23, 05:23 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 272 Posts

Some percentage of brand new batteries are faulty - especially in the AGM battery world, where you don't get constant charging anymore that might mask that issue. Demand a new battery, it should certainly not run down after a couple of days of non-use.

I can't see how the engine is fundamentally flawed. They put 10s of thousands of hours on engines in test rigs when developing them, something fundamental would have shaken loose during development and testing.
Old 08-18-23, 05:37 AM
budwom
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Some percentage of brand new batteries are faulty - especially in the AGM battery world, where you don't get constant charging anymore that might mask that issue. Demand a new battery, it should certainly not run down after a couple of days of non-use.

I can't see how the engine is fundamentally flawed. They put 10s of thousands of hours on engines in test rigs when developing them, something fundamental would have shaken loose during development and testing.
I agree, and the engine has been in use for more than a year with other vehicles. Obviously there are issues to be addressed. How widespread they are remains to be seen. I know I'd be unhappy if my new car ran poorly.
Old 08-18-23, 07:58 AM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It must be the new turbo engine issue. I just checked and the 22 highlander hybrid has the Same engine as the 350h and has been totally fine with no issues. No issues reported for 2 years now.
Old 08-18-23, 08:16 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
It must be the new turbo engine issue. I just checked and the 22 highlander hybrid has the Same engine as the 350h and has been totally fine with no issues. No issues reported for 2 years now.
The T24A-FTS 2.4l turbo has been around since 2021 in the NX with no systemic issues popping up. It is heavily based on the A25A that has been around since 2017 and has been very dependable. The exhaust cam phaser issues that a few are having are interesting because according to The Car Care Nut, the phaser design is the same as on other Toyota engines including the last generation RX's V-6 (which has 2 of them) that haven't had a systemic issue. This may simply be some assembly contamination blocking or restricting an oil port used for cam adjustment. Also, some things that have been issues on other Toyota engines don't even exist on this engine like a thermostat and EGR valve.
Old 08-18-23, 09:18 AM
LexusIssues
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIssues
Update: Called Lexus Road assistance for a jump-start. They jump started the car, and all the sudden it cranked and started up. BUT I still have the error message in attached image. The car sat for maybe one or two days at the most in the garage, so I don't understand how the voltage can get all ****ed up over 2 days of sitting? Can the Lexus dealership replace the battery by the warranty or something? And it is always a risk of it happening again if the car sits again for a couple of days, so I am not sure what exactly to ask of Lexus besides changing out the battery for another one and looking at all the error messages as the one below.

UPDATE 3: Next day, it seems like the car started up without any system error messages. But now I just wonder if I should be asking Lexus for a brand new battery since it is NOT normal that it died in two days. I guess I should still take it them for some kind of check-up, and to see if the battery is faulty or not... right now the car is starting up, but who knows when it dies again... I guess it would be a good experiment to not touch the car again for 2-3 days, and see if the battery dies again....but it definitely seems to be the issue here, not sure if it is faulty or bad from the factory or I don't know...

Last edited by LexusIssues; 08-18-23 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-18-23, 09:35 AM
Urlik
Instructor

They error probably cleared itself after a few startups and some driving. VW-Audis do that when you get a dead battery condition lighting up the whole Christmas tree. If you're positive nothing was left on to cause the drain, I'd get the battery tested.
Old 08-18-23, 09:38 AM
KennyE
Driver

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

UPDATE 3: Next day, it seems like the car started up without any system error messages. But now I just wonder if I should be asking Lexus for a brand new battery since it is NOT normal that it died in two days. I guess I should still take it them for some kind of check-up, and to see if the battery is faulty or not... right now the car is starting up, but who knows when it dies again... I guess it would be a good experiment to not touch the car again for 2-3 days, and see if the battery dies again....but it definitely seems to be the issue here, not sure if it is faulty or bad from the factory or I don't know...
Another solution on checking the battery might be an auto parts store. Most will check your battery "health" for free. I'd much rather start there than try to navigate thru the Lexus appointment, etc., for a battery check. If you have a multi-meter you can check it yourself. A good 12v battery has a 12.73v charge, or possibly higher. A battery with a 12.3v charge is at 50% of available voltage. Anything less than an actual 12v and the battery has an issue. Especially a "new" battery.
Old 08-18-23, 09:41 AM
LexusIssues
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Urlik
They error probably cleared itself after a few startups and some driving. VW-Audis do that when you get a dead battery condition lighting up the whole Christmas tree. If you're positive nothing was left on to cause the drain, I'd get the battery tested.

Yeah, I want to visit the Lexus dealership, and explain them what happened and see if they could test out the battery and see if it is faulty or drained, or what is wrong with it. Maybe they could charge it back up, or just replace it if they find something wrong with it. Something else to note, I was out of the country for about 5 months, and when I came back 4 weeks ago, the battery was fully dead. I did a jump start on it, and it was working fine for the last 4 weeks, but yesterday all the sudden or died after non-use of maybe two days. I wonder if that 5 month "non-use" period screwed up the battery which caused yesterday's events of Christmas lights and crank noises in my first post.
Old 08-18-23, 09:51 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 212 Posts

Any autoparts place will load test (not just voltage!) a battery for free.
Old 08-18-23, 09:55 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Yeah, I want to visit the Lexus dealership, and explain them what happened and see if they could test out the battery and see if it is faulty or drained, or what is wrong with it. Maybe they could charge it back up, or just replace it if they find something wrong with it. Something else to note, I was out of the country for about 5 months, and when I came back 4 weeks ago, the battery was fully dead. I did a jump start on it, and it was working fine for the last 4 weeks, but yesterday all the sudden or died after non-use of maybe two days. I wonder if that 5 month "non-use" period screwed up the battery which caused yesterday's events of Christmas lights and crank noises in my first post.
Makes me wonder if Lexus vehicles go into a deep sleep mode after 30 days of not operating like VW/Audis do to preserve the battery.
Old 08-18-23, 10:48 AM
LexusIssues
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Urlik
Makes me wonder if Lexus vehicles go into a deep sleep mode after 30 days of not operating like VW/Audis do to preserve the battery.
The car is always connected to the internet and the Lexus App on your phone... so I am guessing even when you go overseas for a month or two, the car's internet is still always enabled which probably has some drain on the battery as well since it is using GPS and Internet connection. Not sure about deep sleep mode, but it's a good question to ask a Lexus dealer. But something is definitely wrong with this battery or the generator/alternator since there is no way it's supposed to do after 2 days....so first step I guess I will take it to an AutoZone so they can check the battery for free quickly, and then after that I'll schedule a service appt with Lexus, and show them the videos/pictures of what happened and maybe they can do more tests there. Still don't understand why it died after 2 days of non-usage. Maybe it got /VERY/ drained during the 5 months of non-usage, but the weird part is, I drove it almost daily for 4 weeks after I got back, and all the sudden, it's dead again, and can't even start the car. Only had enough juice to make the electronics go crazy inside with a bunch of error codes.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 11:29 AM
jaxn1010
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I'd get that battery checked with an actual battery load tester - I'm pretty sure NAPA is the only store that does the load testing based on the actual battery's rating in CCA , most others (Advance, PEP, AZ etc) just check voltage drop across a small internal resistor. We had similar issues on our old Highlander a few years back and NAPA was the only one that figured out it was the battery. Seems like Toyota/Lexus products are very sensitive to battery condition.

Quick Reply: Brand new Lexus RX350 has issues