RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 04:35 AM
griemsmann
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
OK - now I am confused. Parts manager at the dealer says that no converter is needed, only a wiring harness ($163 CAD). @griemsmann Did you order the tow package? maybe Canadian domestic market ones are different than yours?
BTW, I have found a few places that sell the converter in question for about 4125 USD.
I did not have the Tow Option Package. Mine was built in June and is for the US.
I paid around $125 USD for the tow converter from the dealer.
Old 09-26-23, 06:19 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

OK. Makes a bit more sense now. But you still had to buy an actual wiring harness that plugs into the converter, right? And $163 CAD for a Lexus harness does seem crazy high.
Old 09-26-23, 06:56 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I will be at the dealer's picking up the RX350h tomorrow (yay!) and will ask the parts manager about this whole wiring set up. But it might be as simple as plugging in this https://www.etrailer.com/p-56083.html to the tow package plug on the underside. https://www.etrailer.com/p-56083.html Oh, $19 USD versus $160 CAD - will compare the parts. Man, this is crazy difficult!
Old 09-26-23, 07:22 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I will be at the dealer's picking up the RX350h tomorrow (yay!) and will ask the parts manager about this whole wiring set up. But it might be as simple as plugging in this https://www.etrailer.com/p-56083.html to the tow package plug on the underside. https://www.etrailer.com/p-56083.html Oh, $19 USD versus $160 CAD - will compare the parts. Man, this is crazy difficult!
You do need that pigtail, but that isn't all you need. You need the "tow converter" which is a second wiring harness and box of electronics that is installed inside the cargo area.
Old 09-26-23, 07:31 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Except that is not what the dealer is saying. They claim cars equipped with the tow package only need the expensive Lexus wiring harness or equivalent (Curt device - and I reached out to Curt, too) . Either that or the dealer guy is clueless and does not understand the parts guy. I will find out tomorrow.
Old 09-26-23, 07:37 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Except that is not what the dealer is saying. They claim cars equipped with the tow package only need the expensive Lexus wiring harness or equivalent (Curt device - and I reached out to Curt, too) . Either that or the dealer guy is clueless and does not understand the parts guy. I will find out tomorrow.
I don't recall you saying that your RX had the tow package. If that is true, then you have the tow converter, already. That's what the tow package is... It's just that $160 box of electronics and wiring harness. So in that case you can just add the 4-way pigtail.

Almost all 2023 RX for the US did not have the tow package, so most people need to add the converter.
Old 09-26-23, 07:49 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Ah - miscommunication. AFAIK all Canadian vehicles have the tow package as standard.
Old 09-26-23, 07:51 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Ah - miscommunication. AFAIK all Canadian vehicles have the tow package as standard.
That is my understanding, as well.

I see now your location is listed as BC, so I could have inferred you had a Canadian vehicle.

I'm not sure why Lexus chose to treat the Canadian-bound vehicles differently than the US ones. It would have been nice to just standardize on including the tow converter.
Old 09-26-23, 08:19 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Typically Lexus/Toyota includes the tow package with most Canadian bound SUVs and minivans since they also include Heady duty cooling and additional transmission coolers behind the front bumper.

At least one thing that they offer north of the border that is better. I wish we had the choice like in US. No factory options here. They pre-select packages for us.
Old 09-26-23, 11:35 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Latest from Curt on that wiring harness I linked to earlier is that they have not yet confirmed fitment on the 2023 350h. Which is weird since the 350 and 450h are listed as compatible.
Old 10-02-23, 05:09 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

My local Lexus dealer came through and was able to get me the tow converter. The box has part # PT725-48232 listed on it. Installation was straightforward with one caveat being the instructions said the fuse went in the engine bay fuse box, but that was not correct. I found the correct fuse location in the cargo area fuse box. I'm not sure if that is a difference between the ICE vs HEV, or if it's specific to the RX500h... But it's something to be aware of, for others who will be doing this installation.

I used the Curt 56083 harness to plug into the factory connector behind the rear bumper and confirmed everything was working. The Curt harness is functional but too long and the wire loom diameter is larger than it needs to be. After installing the hitch, I plan to modify the Curt harness to shorten it to a more appropriate length and I'll replace the wire loom with a better-fitting and higher-quality option.

I am now waiting for TorkLift to ship my hitch... It's been two and a half months... They said it would ship Summer 2023, but that has passed, at this point. I hope it ships soon.

Things are coming together, finally, and that makes me happy.

Last edited by CommodoreAmiga; 10-02-23 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-23, 05:20 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Have you tested the pinouts from the Curt cable? I reached out to Curt and they said it has not been tested on the 350h.
Old 10-02-23, 05:24 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Have you tested the pinouts from the Curt cable? I reached out to Curt and they said it has not been tested on the 350h.
Yep, confirmed with a 4-way tester. Plug-and-play.
The following users liked this post:
Eagleboy99 (10-02-23)
Old 12-20-23, 11:40 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Wiring harness for trailer hitch

I just finished installing a Draw-Tite hitch/receiver to my wife's 2024 NX450h+ and I wish to also install one on my 2024 RX450h+. as well. My question is this.
Has anyone found an aftermarket wiring harness that plugs directly into the tail lights of either vehicle? I tried the Curt harness for the RAV4 and the plugs have only four pins and totally different connectors than than the Lexus models. The Lexus models have eight pin connectors with only five wires in the eight terminal positions. The Lexus harness is around $300 give or take, depending upon the source. I could use a test light to find the correct pin outs and then do a splice but, I would rather not do that, if possible. It's odd in that the NX has the tow package, but there is no wiring to the rear bumper area but, the RX has no towing package but, there IS wiring to the rear bumper area. This kinda leads me to believe that there is a open plug connector behind the right rear cargo area panel where I could plug in the trailer converter, part number PT725-48230 (superseded by PT725-48232) Are there any of you electrical wizards out there with a recommendation. BTW, I went with Draw-Tite hitch, as it remains mostly hidden behind the rear bumper lower valance. The cross bar on the Curt hitch hangs down below the bumper and looks a little silly.
Old 12-21-23, 04:36 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I just finished installing a Draw-Tite hitch/receiver to my wife's 2024 NX450h+ and I wish to also install one on my 2024 RX450h+. as well. My question is this.
Has anyone found an aftermarket wiring harness that plugs directly into the tail lights of either vehicle? I tried the Curt harness for the RAV4 and the plugs have only four pins and totally different connectors than than the Lexus models. The Lexus models have eight pin connectors with only five wires in the eight terminal positions. The Lexus harness is around $300 give or take, depending upon the source. I could use a test light to find the correct pin outs and then do a splice but, I would rather not do that, if possible. It's odd in that the NX has the tow package, but there is no wiring to the rear bumper area but, the RX has no towing package but, there IS wiring to the rear bumper area. This kinda leads me to believe that there is a open plug connector behind the right rear cargo area panel where I could plug in the trailer converter, part number PT725-48230 (superseded by PT725-48232) Are there any of you electrical wizards out there with a recommendation. BTW, I went with Draw-Tite hitch, as it remains mostly hidden behind the rear bumper lower valance. The cross bar on the Curt hitch hangs down below the bumper and looks a little silly.
I installed Lexus PT725-48232 ($145) and Curt 56083 ($21.60) on my RX and it’s plug-and-play. No messing with taillights or splicing.

Quick Reply: Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle