RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 10:45 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
I installed Lexus PT725-48232 ($145) and Curt 56083 ($21.60) on my RX and it’s plug-and-play. No messing with taillights or splicing.
Thanks much. I kinda figured that this might be the case, as I already purchased the Curt 56083 pigtail and using a flat four tester, that I had no signal at the final plug. This leads me to believe that all I needed was the Lexus converter and I would be good to go on my RX450h+. Now, if I could find a better way to do the wiring on my wife's NX450h+, I would be a bit happier.

Last edited by StefanoS; 12-24-23 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 10:33 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

I finally caved and just bought the Curt 59236 wiring harness for my wife's NX450h+, which comes with easy T-type splice connectors, easy to install with a pair of pliers. I got everything connected after probing the left taillight connections and doing the final test with the 4-way tester on the plug end. Everything lit up or flashed, as it was supposed to so, I guess that I am ready to tow.

Last edited by StefanoS; 05-07-24 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-06-24, 04:55 PM
24rx350nj
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
My local Lexus dealer came through and was able to get me the tow converter. The box has part # PT725-48232 listed on it. Installation was straightforward with one caveat being the instructions said the fuse went in the engine bay fuse box, but that was not correct. I found the correct fuse location in the cargo area fuse box. I'm not sure if that is a difference between the ICE vs HEV, or if it's specific to the RX500h... But it's something to be aware of, for others who will be doing this installation.

I used the Curt 56083 harness to plug into the factory connector behind the rear bumper and confirmed everything was working. The Curt harness is functional but too long and the wire loom diameter is larger than it needs to be. After installing the hitch, I plan to modify the Curt harness to shorten it to a more appropriate length and I'll replace the wire loom with a better-fitting and higher-quality option.

I am now waiting for TorkLift to ship my hitch... It's been two and a half months... They said it would ship Summer 2023, but that has passed, at this point. I hope it ships soon.

Things are coming together, finally, and that makes me happy.
Hello there,
I recently purchased a 2024 Lexus RX35 F Sport and am in need of some assistance. I stumbled upon your helpful post and was hoping you could help me out. Although your post is from 2023, I'm hoping that the same solution applies to the 2024 model.

I have attached a picture of a plug and was wondering if the converter you purchased will fit this one. I plan on getting the Curt harness, and I believe it should be a plug and play setup to connect the trailer. Could you please let me know if my assumptions are correct?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 05-06-24, 05:19 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 24rx350nj
Hello there,
I recently purchased a 2024 Lexus RX35 F Sport and am in need of some assistance. I stumbled upon your helpful post and was hoping you could help me out. Although your post is from 2023, I'm hoping that the same solution applies to the 2024 model.

I have attached a picture of a plug and was wondering if the converter you purchased will fit this one. I plan on getting the Curt harness, and I believe it should be a plug and play setup to connect the trailer. Could you please let me know if my assumptions are correct?

Thank you in advance for your help!
the Curt will plug into that (remove the cap). You still need the Lexus tow converter, however, to make it all work.
Old 05-06-24, 05:26 PM
24rx350nj
3rd Gear

I gave it a try today, but it didn't fit. I'll try it again later to see how it goes. Truly appreciate the quick response!!

UPDATE - I tried it without removing the cap, (yup I'm not the smartest guy in the room)..You were right! Perfect fit. Thank You!! I'll get the converter now and hopefully erverything works. I'll update later for those with the 2024. Thanks again!!

Last edited by 24rx350nj; 05-06-24 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 05:29 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Remove the gray cap to install the Curt pigtail, which has a 4-Way plug on the opposite end. The other end will plug right into the harness in the photo that you provided. The converter plugs in the right side, forward of the cargo area. There's a lot of stuff that you need to remove in order to gain access. It's not difficult, just time consuming.
The following users liked this post:
24rx350nj (05-06-24)
Old 05-07-24, 07:30 AM
mr1959
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

On the 23 RX350H, where did you plug-in the Curt adapter?
Old 05-07-24, 08:22 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mr1959
On the 23 RX350H, where did you plug-in the Curt adapter?
The connector is on the right rear, up high, behind the bumper cover. You have to remove the gray plastic cap to access the plug connection.
Old 05-07-24, 08:23 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

The photo in post 49 will show you what to look for.
The following users liked this post:
mr1959 (05-09-24)
Old 05-11-24, 05:29 PM
24rx350nj
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 24rx350nj
I gave it a try today, but it didn't fit. I'll try it again later to see how it goes. Truly appreciate the quick response!!

UPDATE - I tried it without removing the cap, (yup I'm not the smartest guy in the room)..You were right! Perfect fit. Thank You!! I'll get the converter now and hopefully erverything works. I'll update later for those with the 2024. Thanks again!!
Update 2 -After installing the converter, everything worked perfectly! Confirmed that the converter and Curtis pigtail are compatible with the 2024 models. Thank you all for your help.

Old 05-15-24, 04:49 PM
mr1959
3rd Gear

Default 2023 RX350H Towing Harness Install

I had the need for a towing hitch to carry our bikes and I installed the Curt 13579 hitch. It was an easy install with four provided bolts. No modifications were required to make this hitch fit.

I wanted to install the wiring harness so I would have the necessary lights for a small trailer. Looking through various forums I found no clear instructions so I did some investigations and purchases and it all worked out as desired. I wanted to share my process.

My vehicle is a 2023 RX350H Luxury version, USA version. I did not, i.e. could not, get a towing package (+$169 USD) with my order. I do not know if I have the noted additional fluid coolers that have been suggested by others to be included in the towing package. I do not expect to tow anything large - primarily small trailers when renting yard equipment. So I am not concerned about the vehicles capability.

I had to purchase and install two additional items, beyond the hitch. The computer/converter and the 4-wire cable extension.

I purchased the computer/converter from the Boise Lexus dealer. Part number PT725-48232 for around $150. The kit contained the converter with an attached bracket, a mounting bolt and a 30 amp mini-size automotive fuse.

I purchased the 4-wire cable extension from Curt Mfg, via Amazon, for $21 via Amazon. Part number 56083.

The converter is installed behind the right panel in the rear cargo compartment. Accessing it is not difficult as most of the disassembly is simply lifting out the various panels. To remove the side panel there are four bolts to remove. In the photo, 1 is visible after the cargo cover is removed, 2 is accessed by turning and removing the ****, 3 & 4 are behind the plastic cover that is behind the chrome levers.

In the above photo you can see all the panels I removed or moved out of the way. The converter is attached at position 1, the bracket at position 2 needs to be removed to route the converter's cable, and the cable is plugged in at position 3. There are two clips attached to the cable bundle beneath bracket 2 into which the converter's cable snap into, then replace bracket 2. The converter's cable plugs into the connector at position 3, with a snap. I noticed that bracket 2 was bolted on fairly tight and I made sure it tightened it similarly so it did not loosen up one day.

The provided fuse is intended to be plugged into the fuse box noted above at position 4.

If you look at the diagram on the cover that fuse box, it shows the location of the towing fuse at location 1. My vehicle already had a 30 Amp fuse at that location. So I placed the new fuse at location 2 as a spare. Notice there is no fuse puller in the box, so it might be a good idea to get one. The mini fuse is a pretty tight fit.

After replacing the fuse cover all the panels can now be re-installed.

The connector for the 4-wire harness adapter is located behind the bumper, on the exterior of the vehicle. It has a cover that needs to be removed by squeezing the securing tab. Then the purchased 4-wire harness can simply be plugged in.

As I did this operation after I had installed the hitch it was a very tight fit for my forearm. The picture below shows the connector, I could not get my phone up into the space to get a decent picture.

Attaching the 4-wire cable before installing the hitch would have been a simple job. We tried using the small arm of my grandson but his reach was not quite long enough. The plug is located near the yellow dot in the picture. You can see his arm could not reach. And, you need to press the securing feature of the connector cover to get it off. My son eventually got it with a few battle scars on the forearm.

The final step is to route the 4-wire cable to a convenient spot on the hitch and secure with zip ties.

We tested it and it worked the first time. We made no modifications to any of the Infotainment settings to make the trailer lights work. We disabled, turned off via the Infotainment screen, the parking assist features so not to trigger a warnings when the bike rack is in place. And, the brake assist feature so the brake is not automatically engaged when putting the vehicle in reverse.

The kick sensor continued to work after the hitch was installed, although it required some finesss in the foot's movement right next to the receiver.

Last edited by mr1959; 05-24-24 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added note for USA version and disabled warnings
The following 4 users liked this post by mr1959:
Den49 (06-22-24), paperthin (05-16-24), pedser (05-18-24), Urlik (05-15-24)
Old 05-16-24, 06:32 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mr1959
I had the need for a towing hitch to carry our bikes and I installed the Curt 13579 hitch. It was an easy install with four provided bolts. No modifications were required to make this hitch fit......................

..............The kick sensor continued to work after the hitch was installed, although it required some finesss in the foot's movement right next to the receiver.
Good write up. You beat me to this buy a day or two although your is more complete than mine would have been. I have the exact same setup as you except I do not need the converter. My hitch is installed (with my Wifes help) and I just need to put the curt wire extension on. Cheers!.
Old 05-23-24, 07:34 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Got my Torklift SS hitch today! After a long conversation with the parts guy, I am confident in saying the tow package is only the tow converter. No extra rad or anything. Cdn cars have the converter installed so all you need is the wiring harness. $30 CAD for Curt or $145 for the Lexus OEM.
Old 05-24-24, 12:56 PM
mr1959
3rd Gear

I spoke with the service guy and asked about the additions for the $160USD towing package. He indicated it was the converter and harness and upgrades to the alternator and fluid cooling system. I am not convinced that this is correct. $160 additional for just the harness and the converter sounds right.

It would be great if we had photos of a towing package fluid cooling system and alternator to compare to a "non-towing" package. Can someone identify part numbers for the alternator and radiators? Are there different part numbers for towing and non-towing alternator /radiator?
Old 05-24-24, 01:26 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

This is the only alternator listed for all models. I doubt there is anything special for towing. Other vehicles I've had with towing packages had an extra radiator, etc.

Alternator

Part Number: 270600W020
Supersession(s): 27060-0W020

Quick Reply: Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle