RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Android Auto Touch Unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 09:20 AM
KennyE
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Android Auto Touch Unresponsive

Noticed this a few times. While AA is active on the screen (google maps, etc.), the haptic buttons become unresponsive to touch. Not every time, but enough to be noticed. When this happens I can't launch the Apps window, or get back to the Lexus screen by touch. I can "hey Lexus" to show the map. And touching the buttons from that screen works as they should. Touch the AA icon, launch AA and the screen becomes unresponsive, again. Mostly asking if anyone else has seen this come up on their touch screen? Would be good to know before I contact service. Has to be something with AA because the buttons work when not in Android Auto. This is on a '23 Premium+.
Old 08-20-23, 01:41 AM
Kinnick24
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced this from time to time. I think it works better if you use a light touch on the icons rather than a heavier press.
Old 08-20-23, 06:29 AM
RolfK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here. I have encountered this two or three times in the last half year ( 2023 350h) when using Android auto. Not often enough to have figured out why it happens but I believe a 'hey lexus' will get you back in business.
Old 08-20-23, 06:51 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

When this happens try and reboot the infotainment system to see if corrects.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (08-20-23)
Old 08-21-23, 10:57 AM
KennyE
Driver

Had it happen again today. Tried the "light touch", which .... didn't work. Darn it!! It's not a huge issue since the "Hey Nani Nani", I mean "Hey Lexus" gets me back to the main screen. It's just annoying.
Old 08-21-23, 12:09 PM
OLDude500
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Fix I was given.

I sent a message to the dealer about this very issue earlier today. See below the response I was provided.As for the Android Auto freezing issue on the head unit, I have seen this occur before with other vehicles and customer. The culprit is not the head unit, but rather the Android Auto operating system. What appears clear the issue is a simple unlock of the phone powering Android Auto. So technically, just unlock your phone, go to the home screen, and then lock back the device. I know this sounds weird but please give it a try and let me know if this helps.

The second possible fix would be the battery settings on your device. What you need to do is configure your device to disable all battery optimizations for absolutely all Android Auto services. So "Low Power Mode" can definitely be the cause of this.

Additionally, since Google Maps and Android Auto are developed by Google and not Lexus, they do provide frequent updates to their mobile apps that tend to correct the issue as well.
I will be speaking to one of our service technician ASAP to find some solutions regarding the audio system. Please bare with me since Mondays are usually our busiest!

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet. I will later today and follow-up.
Spoiler

Old 08-21-23, 12:22 PM
KennyE
Driver

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try the unlock next time it happens. And I just reset AA's battery restrictions. We'll see, and report back.
Old 11-26-23, 10:50 AM
bcarllee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto is not working with my 2023 RX 350

Originally Posted by KennyE
Noticed this a few times. While AA is active on the screen (google maps, etc.), the haptic buttons become unresponsive to touch. Not every time, but enough to be noticed. When this happens I can't launch the Apps window, or get back to the Lexus screen by touch. I can "hey Lexus" to show the map. And touching the buttons from that screen works as they should. Touch the AA icon, launch AA and the screen becomes unresponsive, again. Mostly asking if anyone else has seen this come up on their touch screen? Would be good to know before I contact service. Has to be something with AA because the buttons work when not in Android Auto. This is on a '23 Premium+.
  1. I have not been able to use my android phone on android auto. I have to disconnect bluetooth and then I can't use hands-free talking.