RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Hands-Off Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 03:54 PM
Davebert
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hands-Off Driving

I am thinking of buying a new RX, and am curious about hands-free capabilities on long highway trips. In particular, how long can you go with the Lane Tracing Assist without having to touch the steering wheel? My Audi A4 requires a twitch of the wheel every 15 seconds or it pops up a nag screen. My Genesis GV80 will go for many minutes, depending on road conditions and traffic.
The following users liked this post:
Klamalama (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 04:42 PM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

it’s only seconds
Old 08-30-23, 05:17 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

I think I get to an 8 count before it nags me. If you enjoy driving the Genesis, the RX will disappoint you.
Old 08-30-23, 05:24 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Has anyone tried the half-filled bottle of water stuck into the spokes? The sloshing does a good imitation of hands on the wheel.
Davebert (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 05:27 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Sounds like a very stupid thing to do to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Urlik:
ggebhardt (10-08-23), nowlen (04-22-24), QPL (04-18-24)
Old 08-30-23, 05:44 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you tried standing on your head and steering with your feet? It might help you develop some humor.
The following 3 users liked this post by Klamalama:
Bitterroot (08-30-23), shrinkwrap (05-22-24), signdetres (08-31-23)
Old 08-30-23, 07:16 PM
dapribek
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hands-off Driving

I think I get to an 8 count before it nags me. If you enjoy driving the Genesis, the RX will disappoint you.

in April I traded my GV80 for my 500h and I’m not disappointed at all. There’s nothing about the GV80 that I miss at all, not the massage seats that only worked intermittently, nor the navigation system that would drop me off miles from my destination, nor the fuel filler door that would only open when it wanted too. When friends asked why I traded it in after only 2 years, I just say that it disappointed me.
mlader (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 01:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I just rest a hand on the wheel and that does it most the time for me. I am impressed at my RX’s ability to track in this mode. The technology is really advancing.
EBone (07-02-24)
Old 08-31-23, 01:56 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I just rest a hand on the wheel and that does it most the time for me. I am impressed at my RX’s ability to track in this mode. The technology is really advancing.
we had the lane assist in my 2018 outback …i never used it .

it would hunt for the white lines , first going to the left , then zig zagging to the right line .

it looked like you were drunk as you weaved back and forth .

the one on my 500h is great …the lane centering stops that weaving .

the one thing i am not sure of yet is whether sensors will move you off center if the vehicle next to you is to close to the lines and you need more space then lane centering provides for safety
Old 08-31-23, 03:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by mathjak107
we had the lane assist in my 2018 outback …i never used it .

it would hunt for the white lines , first going to the left , then zig zagging to the right line .

it looked like you were drunk as you weaved back and forth .

the one on my 500h is great …the lane centering stops that weaving .

the one thing i am not sure of yet is whether sensors will move you off center if the vehicle next to you is to close to the lines and you need more space then lane centering provides for safety
My previous vehicles did the same, bouncing you back and forth to the point it was useless.

Interesting question on the collision avoidance. I would assume you would get the proximity alarms when the vehicle strayed too close to yours, but not sure if it would automatically take action to avoid contact.

Old 08-31-23, 05:28 AM
CAPTBob
Rookie

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Back in May, after having the car for 3 months on only around the local area driving, we drove from Ann Arbor, MI to Cambridge, MA and back. I posted my thoughts on the car back then and below excerpted my comments on the advanced driving systems. My thoughts have stayed the same and we'll be making the same trip in about 3 weeks.

Assisted Driving Systems
  • Hold the Wheel Alerts – At first, I received a lot of alerts until I determined where the steering wheel sensors were located. I found that I could rest my wrist on my upper thigh and lightly put my fingers on the inner part of the wheel, at around the 4:30 to 5 or 7:00 to 7:30 positions, and the system wouldn’t alert and, most importantly, my hands were ready to take control if needed.
  • Lane Tracing Assist – It worked well, mostly staying in the middle of the lane. When going through construction zones with concrete barriers, I really didn’t trust it, took active control and turned off the feature. When the system was active, I did notice a few times when passing an exit that the car started to follow the lines on the right leading to the exit vice continuing in the lane. I took active control then. It wasn’t scary but it highlighted the need that when using the active systems, you must pay attention.
  • Lane Change Assist – It worked well but seemed more of a gimmick than a system that I found useful. When it is activated, it makes the lane change at a somewhat abrupt angle. My wife really wasn’t comfortable with that part of the feature and didn’t use after trying it the first few times.
  • Traffic Jam Assist – As we entered MA from CT on I-84, traffic came to a stop due to an accident up ahead. As we crawled along, I activated the system and sat back. It was a little weird at first, but I found it useful.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control – This is the first vehicle I’ve had with adaptive cruise control. It works well, keeping you from inadvertently running up too close on slower traffic.
krafty81 (10-09-23)
Old 08-31-23, 08:48 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Not that I am advocating this, but you can buy rubber "amputated" hands from Halloween supply places. I guess you could have one of those grab the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
ggebhardt (08-31-23), WolfyLS460 (09-13-23)
Old 10-07-23, 08:51 PM
MiniRx
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do u activated traffic jam assist and what does it do?

Originally Posted by CAPTBob
Back in May, after having the car for 3 months on only around the local area driving, we drove from Ann Arbor, MI to Cambridge, MA and back. I posted my thoughts on the car back then and below excerpted my comments on the advanced driving systems. My thoughts have stayed the same and we'll be making the same trip in about 3 weeks.

Assisted Driving Systems
  • Hold the Wheel Alerts – At first, I received a lot of alerts until I determined where the steering wheel sensors were located. I found that I could rest my wrist on my upper thigh and lightly put my fingers on the inner part of the wheel, at around the 4:30 to 5 or 7:00 to 7:30 positions, and the system wouldn’t alert and, most importantly, my hands were ready to take control if needed.
  • Lane Tracing Assist – It worked well, mostly staying in the middle of the lane. When going through construction zones with concrete barriers, I really didn’t trust it, took active control and turned off the feature. When the system was active, I did notice a few times when passing an exit that the car started to follow the lines on the right leading to the exit vice continuing in the lane. I took active control then. It wasn’t scary but it highlighted the need that when using the active systems, you must pay attention.
  • Lane Change Assist – It worked well but seemed more of a gimmick than a system that I found useful. When it is activated, it makes the lane change at a somewhat abrupt angle. My wife really wasn’t comfortable with that part of the feature and didn’t use after trying it the first few times.
  • Traffic Jam Assist – As we entered MA from CT on I-84, traffic came to a stop due to an accident up ahead. As we crawled along, I activated the system and sat back. It was a little weird at first, but I found it useful.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control – This is the first vehicle I’ve had with adaptive cruise control. It works well, keeping you from inadvertently running up too close on slower traffic.
Old 10-08-23, 01:49 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

traffic jam is just low speed adaptive cruise control …regular adaptive cruise control turns off below a certain speed .

traffic jam takes over and moves you from zero back up by itself
The following 2 users liked this post by mathjak107:
Bentru (10-08-23), esotof (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 08:05 PM
esotof
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Klamalama
Has anyone tried the half-filled bottle of water stuck into the spokes? The sloshing does a good imitation of hands on the wheel.
I have and it works. The steering wheel feels the weight and believes you are holding the wheel. DO NOT DO IT!!! IT IS NOT MY ADVICE AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!!

Quick Reply: Hands-Off Driving