RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Power Liftgate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 08:34 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by madams144
When the door is in “error” mode .. and I press the “close” button (via remote, dash board, or remote fob buttons) and I get the “two beeps”, the door will not move. When in this “two beep” error code/mode .. I have to manually push the door down to the close position. When I manually push the door closed to the “closed” position .. I do not get the usual latched\beep\lights flash acknowledgment
Is there a wiring diagram that shows the sensors that can cause the two beeps. Mine and others I know have the same issue and it is intermittent and needs to be troubleshot to determine which sensor (s) is causing the issue.
Old 04-03-24, 08:42 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bschatzow
Is there a wiring diagram that shows the sensors that can cause the two beeps. Mine and others I know have the same issue and it is intermittent and needs to be troubleshot to determine which sensor (s) is causing the issue.
There are object sensors on each side of the lift gate you can see in this parts breakdown: https://parts.lexusofwesleychapel.co...09.html#84280D
It could also use the parking sensors.
Old 04-03-24, 08:44 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

For me the 2 beeps most of the times means that I'm standing too close to it and anticipates to hit me, so it stops and beeps twice.

I got it again and step back in order for it to close.
Old 04-03-24, 01:14 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
For me the 2 beeps most of the times means that I'm standing too close to it and anticipates to hit me, so it stops and beeps twice.

I got it again and step back in order for it to close.
That is not how it is supposed to work. The manual says press the lock button and you have 30 seconds to unload the back. In any case I have pressed the button after a fail, (not moving) and then it works correctly. Lexus has a design issue that they need to figure out! For a person to use it per the directions you need to be right next to the bumper. The non lock button works every time no matter how close I am. I have an open case with Lexus as well as a scheduled meeting with their field rep.

Last edited by bschatzow; 04-03-24 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 01:33 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Urlik
There are object sensors on each side of the lift gate you can see in this parts breakdown: https://parts.lexusofwesleychapel.co...09.html#84280D
It could also use the parking sensors.
Thanks for your reply. The more I look at the issue the less sense it makes. The two beeps happens immediately. I have an open case for Lexus to tell me what the 2 beeps mean. So far, no one at Lexus or my dealer knows for sure. The sensor should not be checking (yet) where I am. It is suppose to allow loading or unloading the rear of the car so it should not be checking if I am in the back, next to the back or anything to do where I am standing. It should look where I am when it starts lowering (after 30 seconds). That is how the other button works.
I am tracking successful and failed closures. For some reason it has gotten better than 40% failures (wish I captured earlier data) Some data from 3/30 2 Good, 4 Bad, 3/31 8 g 2 bad, 4/1 3 G 0 B, 4/2 3 G 0 B, 4/3 3 G , 1 B. All presses are done identically, phone and key fob in my pocket and me standing next to the bumper pressing the switch.

Last edited by bschatzow; 04-03-24 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 09:51 PM
enduro963
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I´ve had the problem when the rear door is open and I press the close and lock button, just beeps and nothing happened. I was at a busy supermarket and thought I would not be able to close the door.. Tried it several times and never closed. Finally I realized I could use just the close button and then lock with key fob and that worked. It has not happened again.
Old 04-05-24, 02:52 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by enduro963
I´ve had the problem when the rear door is open and I press the close and lock button, just beeps and nothing happened. I was at a busy supermarket and thought I would not be able to close the door.. Tried it several times and never closed. Finally I realized I could use just the close button and then lock with key fob and that worked. It has not happened again.
Did the dealer ever tell you what the issue is? This should not happen. It is designed to give one beep and then start a count down and close in 30 seconds or if no one is near close immediately. This is unacceptable that so many people have this issue and accept the lack of response from Lexus.

Last edited by bschatzow; 04-05-24 at 05:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (04-05-24)
Old 04-06-24, 04:59 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

It is designed to give one beep and then start a count down and close in 30 seconds or if no one is near close immediately. .
We haven't experienced the rear hatch closing 'after 30 seconds'. That amount of time seems as an eternity for the hatch to close & lock while we are standing there!

We now walk 15 feet away after pushing the button. Turn to verify...

It DOES close, then.
Old 04-06-24, 08:18 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
We haven't experienced the rear hatch closing 'after 30 seconds'. That amount of time seems as an eternity for the hatch to close & lock while we are standing there!

We now walk 15 feet away after pushing the button. Turn to verify...

It DOES close, then.
The best I understand from the manual and posted Lexus videos is the purpose of this switch is for loading or unloading the hatch. You press the button and then grab stuff that is in the car or load the car and then you walk away. When it works correctly I have no issues. I get one beep then a second beep that starts the count down. If I walk away any time prior to 30 seconds the sensor recognizes this and closes the hatch and locks the car. When it fails I get either one beep and nothing else or one beep and then two quick beeps and nothing else happens.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (04-06-24)
Old 04-11-24, 02:50 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by madams144
Just took delivery of a 23 RX premium+. Anyone having power liftgate issues? I can “open” the tailgate with the remote, the key fob, and the dash button .. no issues opening. However; randomly (about 60% of the time) the liftgate will not “close” I can press any of the button/sources and all I get is two beeps .. I have to manually close the gate. Worked fine at delivery, checked with service isle and previous owner did not report this issue during their 5 months and 4k miles of ownership. Dealer reset the radio/BCM .. worked one or twice .. then issue returns. Leave it sit overnight and it resets itself .. then the issue returns (randomly) after a couple uses..

Thoughts?

RESOLVED: Dealer confirmed the left bump stop strip was defective. Generated some code that helped identify the left side bump stop was defective. Replaced\resolved 10/6/23
I have a meeting with the reginal Lexus rep next week to go over this an other issues I should not be seeing. Since March 31 the total attempted locks 73 - with 50 Good and 23 Failed. This is a 68% percent success rate. Not what I would expect from Lexus!
Old 04-11-24, 06:43 AM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problems here, close and lock button on liftgate 100% does not work at all and it's not even debatable. Doesn't matter if I press and wait, stand there, walk away.. door just beeps and NEVER CLOSES.

My experience is that I push the button, hear ONE beep, then about ~2-3 seconds later I hear TWO more beeps, and that's it. The door never moves even after several minutes. This happens even if I press the button and then sprint away from the vehicle. I just hear the failure beeps as I'm running away. To be clear I've tried this at least 40 times and the litigate has not successfully closed even once. One beep, two beeps, FAIL, no matter what I do.

Edit: Adding that the regular close button works fine every time I've tried it. Only the close & lock button is useless.

Last edited by kitlz; 04-11-24 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-11-24, 01:07 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Yours is worse than mine! Have you returned the car to the dealer and asked them to fix it? I'll leave a message here after I meet with the Lexus rep next week.
Old 04-11-24, 01:08 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a meeting with the reginal Lexus rep next week to go over this an other issues I should not be seeing. Since March 31 the total attempted locks 73 - with 50 Good and 23 Failed. This is a 68% percent success rate. Not what I would expect from Lexus!
Curious to hear what the rep has to say about this. I also have occasional "no close" when using the close and lock button and haven't been able to figure out why. No rhyme or reason to it.
Old 04-11-24, 05:00 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

The dealer tried to tell me nothing was wrong. I spent over three hours there and had a similar failure rate. How they are not demanding a fix from Lexus is beyond me. I'm not sure why any people that have this issue is accepting this? When it works, it is a nice feature for loading and unloading stuff. Key stays in pocket, hit button, unload and walk away.

I have other crazy Bluetooth issues as well that the dealer is also telling me nothing is wrong.
Old 04-11-24, 07:17 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

The dealer tried to tell me nothing was wrong. I spent over three hours there and had a similar failure rate. How they are not demanding a fix from Lexus is beyond me. I'm not sure why any people that have this issue is accepting this? When it works, it is a nice feature for loading and unloading stuff. Key stays in pocket, hit button, unload and walk away.

I have other crazy Bluetooth issues as well that the dealer is also telling me nothing is wrong.
With a similar failure rate, it's disappointing that this particular dealer doesn't recognize that there is an issue. Do you have any other dealers in your area that you can go to? This would be my first course of action but in my case I have only one. Thank you for your perseverance and I encourage you to not give up. Hopefully as more owners join this forum and report having the same issue Lexus will come up with a fix. I will report my observations with this sporadic problem to my dealer at my next service appointment.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate issues?