RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Power Liftgate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 08:35 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I gave up trying to use the tailgate close and lock. I just use the close button and lock it from the back door since I now carry just the wallet key card.
The following users liked this post:
Markfm (04-11-24)
Old 04-12-24, 05:35 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUKTY2
With a similar failure rate, it's disappointing that this particular dealer doesn't recognize that there is an issue. Do you have any other dealers in your area that you can go to? This would be my first course of action but in my case I have only one. Thank you for your perseverance and I encourage you to not give up. Hopefully as more owners join this forum and report having the same issue Lexus will come up with a fix. I will report my observations with this sporadic problem to my dealer at my next service appointment.
​​​​​​My dealer has multiple locations in NJ , but same dealer. I'll see what happens when I meet with the Lexus rep next week. It is unbelievable that no one from the dealer can tell me what the beeps mean? The two and some times when it closes I get six after it is closed and the mirrors fold in.
The following users liked this post:
BLUKTY2 (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 08:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Mine works but only if you walk away briskly. One millisecond too long and it won't close.
Old 04-12-24, 08:49 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Then it doesn't work! The manual says you have 30 seconds to walk away, not milliseconds. I believe there is a design issue and the more people that complete the faster it will get fixed.
Old 04-12-24, 11:39 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Something I recently discovered is that I have to actually be under the lift gate when I press the close and lock button for it to reliably work. If I'm standing back from the door, it usually doesn't work. I think the proximity sensor has to sense you before it will work.
Old 04-12-24, 02:53 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Something I recently discovered is that I have to actually be under the lift gate when I press the close and lock button for it to reliably work. If I'm standing back from the door, it usually doesn't work. I think the proximity sensor has to sense you before it will work.
Interesting observation. I will pay more attention on where I am standing to see if this makes a difference on mine.
Old 04-12-24, 04:47 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by WellsB
What do you mean by under? I stand very close to the bumper (almost touching) and hit the button. I would think this is under? I can't figure out why it works or doesn't. So times after a fail, I do not move and press the button again and it works.
Old 04-12-24, 09:03 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

My head is near the button when I press it. That does place me near the bumper. Since starting that, I've not had a failure to lock, and I have taken stuff out of the back after hitting the button. Before, I'd be standing back from the door when I pressed the button, and it was unreliable.
Old 04-13-24, 02:59 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

I believe that is where I am. I stand on the right side and reach up and hit the button. I and the dealer tried many positions and did not find any that was more reliable than the next. Again if this is what is needed, Lexus has a sensor issue as there is no way this is a correct design. It should be able to pick up a person anywhere within arms length of the button. No one at Lexus has been able to tell me what the two beeps mean. From that clue maybe we can figure out what is causing this issue.

Old 04-13-24, 06:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

This one gets classified under BIGGER FISH TO FRY. Easy enough to just use the close button and then tap the door handle to lock. The prior gen had the WAVE SENSOR which also barely ever worked.
Old 04-13-24, 07:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This one gets classified under BIGGER FISH TO FRY. Easy enough to just use the close button and then tap the door handle to lock. The prior gen had the WAVE SENSOR which also barely ever worked.
Exactly. This and the quirky Digital Key. I now ignore both and just press the regular close button. Lexus should fix this stuff but it’s not worth stimulating my brain’s annoyance center
Old 04-13-24, 07:47 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

We’ve never used the digital key either but still annoyed we had to pay for that crappy system as an option.
Old 04-13-24, 12:18 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Not really. I back in a lot and empty trunk. No option to lock from the back.
Old 04-13-24, 12:22 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bschatzow
Not really. I back in a lot and empty trunk. No option to lock from the back.
There is a small button to lock on the outside, next to the larger open button.
Old 04-13-24, 01:14 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
There is a small button to lock on the outside, next to the larger open button.
Not by the hatch.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate issues?