RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Power Liftgate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 01:23 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This one gets classified under BIGGER FISH TO FRY. Easy enough to just use the close button and then tap the door handle to lock. The prior gen had the WAVE SENSOR which also barely ever worked.
I am not understanding your "Bigger Fish to Fry" statement. This is a Bug that needs fixing.
I have several. This should be the easiest, but I believe all are from sloppy coding / and or testing at Lexus. Some bugs have been around for over a year (rename of Pixel phones to Passive) and I do not believe found bugs should be ignored.

My list so far (which I do not want replied to in this thread are:
1. Android auto maps sometime you can't hear the turn by turn directions and no way to turn up the volume
2. Sometimes Bluetooth speaker on a phone call can not be heard.
3. On a good lock from hatch I get six beeps instead of 1
4. Lexus app on my wife's Galaxy eats the battery so fast that it is not usable.
5. Lexus shared key must you the same credentials (sign in on the Lexus App)
6. Sometimes while in park to let someone out, it will not shift back into D with the brake pressed.
I can go on and I will with the Lexus Rep, but I don't believe any should fall under a Bigger Fish to Fry with a quality company.
Old 04-13-24, 01:25 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by WellsB
My head is near the button when I press it. That does place me near the bumper. Since starting that, I've not had a failure to lock, and I have taken stuff out of the back after hitting the button. Before, I'd be standing back from the door when I pressed the button, and it was unreliable.
I did 10 tests and believe you found the issue. Head must be directly under the lock button. Head in this position works, over to the right (this is the worst) it fails.

This is crazy, but for now this is a solution. Thank you.
Old 04-13-24, 02:36 PM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bschatzow
I did 10 tests and believe you found the issue. Head must be directly under the lock button. Head in this position works, over to the right (this is the worst) it fails.
Interesting, it sounds like a sensor field of view issue, too narrow.
Old 04-14-24, 05:40 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Not by the hatch.
On my car there is a small button on the outside of the hatch, on the right of the button I push to open the hatch. If i push that dimple the car locks
Old 04-14-24, 06:48 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

This one gets classified under BIGGER FISH TO FRY. Easy enough to just use the close button and then tap the door handle to lock. The prior gen had the WAVE SENSOR which also barely ever worked.
Amazing how long the thread is for this relatively minor issue lol

The kick thing, you need to be close to the door, not too far away, and make sure to retract your leg quickly.

Old 04-14-24, 12:14 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
On my car there is a small button on the outside of the hatch, on the right of the button I push to open the hatch. If i push that dimple the car locks
What we've been discussing here is the button that you can press, then retrieve items from the cargo area, then step back and the hatch will close and the doors lock without any further intervention. It's very nice for when your hands are full.
Old 04-14-24, 01:11 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

What we've been discussing here is the button that you can press, then retrieve items from the cargo area, then step back and the hatch will close and the doors lock without any further intervention. It's very nice for when your hands are full.
I understand that. That feature works for me 99% of the times when i stand under the hatch botton. However, It was brought up that even if the lock and walk away didn't work, you can still close and then lock using the little button on the outside.
Old 04-14-24, 05:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Amazing how long the thread is for this relatively minor issue lol

The kick thing, you need to be close to the door, not too far away, and make sure to retract your leg quickly.
That's precisely what I mean. I could not care less about that feature. Close door, touch handle and voila. Head to the dealer if it bothers you that much but for me, that's just a bigger pita.
Old 04-14-24, 07:11 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

That's precisely what I mean. I could not care less about that feature. Close door, touch handle and voila. Head to the dealer if it bothers you that much but for me, that's just a bigger pita.
So why even bother commenting on it, if you don't care? Some of us obviously do care.
The following users liked this post:
bschatzow (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 04:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

So why even bother commenting on it, if you don't care? Some of us obviously do care.
I didn't know I'm not allowed to make comments like this. I'll refrain moving forward.
Old 04-15-24, 06:06 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

I'm not sure why you think features that don't work are not important? This car has added a lot of digital features and I have found many, many bugs with Lexus' implementation. I find if they are not working correctly not acceptable. I don't know their design so I don't know if they could be related or be a bigger issue.

Last edited by bschatzow; 04-15-24 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-15-24, 09:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure why you think features that don't work are not important? This car has added a lot of digital features and I have found many, many bugs with Lexus' implementation. I find if they are not working correctly not acceptable. I don't know their design so I don't know if they could be related or be a bigger issue.
Some are just unimportant in my eyes - that's all. I press the close button and then tap the door handle and achieve the exact same objective.
Old 04-15-24, 10:05 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Some are just unimportant in my eyes - that's all. I press the close button and then tap the door handle and achieve the exact same objective.
So far I have no complaints. Other than the app that does not have charge history (and sometimes does not seem to refresh well), and the possible 12V battery problem.

When i first got it, sometimes the rear does not close when I kick it, so I learned how to do it so it now 100% works.

But I don't sweat those. I sweat over battery problems though haha
Old 04-15-24, 11:01 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Again , from the back there is no door handle. I backed in, emptied the car from the back.
Old 04-15-24, 11:05 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Again , from the back there is no door handle. I backed in, emptied the car from the back.
I mean the rear door handle - I get that part. I agree there's a design or tech issue there and similar to the WAVE sensor they had on the last gen which almost never worked. I've yet to try the kick toy - will have to give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate issues?