RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Power Liftgate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 11:53 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I mean the rear door handle - I get that part. I agree there's a design or tech issue there and similar to the WAVE sensor they had on the last gen which almost never worked. I've yet to try the kick toy - will have to give it a shot.
I was thinking the kick thing is a gimmicky thing, but I actually use it all the time. Even without anything in my hand.
Old 04-15-24, 05:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
I was thinking the kick thing is a gimmicky thing, but I actually use it all the time. Even without anything in my hand.
Yep that one actually works well - how do I know, my wife uses it and she typically never bothers with these gimmicks.
Old 04-15-24, 09:27 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

Some are just unimportant in my eyes - that's all. I press the close button and then tap the door handle and achieve the exact same objective.
It's hardly achieving the exact same objective if you have to push a button, wait for the lift gate to close, then push another button. I push one button and walk away. That is especially useful when I've loaded up, after pushing the button, to the point where I can't push another button without setting stuff down on the ground.
The following users liked this post:
bschatzow (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 07:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WellsB
It's hardly achieving the exact same objective if you have to push a button, wait for the lift gate to close, then push another button. I push one button and walk away. That is especially useful when I've loaded up, after pushing the button, to the point where I can't push another button without setting stuff down on the ground.
I get it - just no issue for me in general. I'll wait for bigger things to let my blood pressure elevate
Old 04-16-24, 12:48 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I understand that. That feature works for me 99% of the times when i stand under the hatch botton. However, It was brought up that even if the lock and walk away didn't work, you can still close and then lock using the little button on the outside.
I just tried it a few times the way you described and it worked each time.
Old 04-17-24, 03:06 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had long meeting (3+ hours) with Lexus field rep yesterday to discuss this issue and many others.
1. Liftgate two beeps means the close conditions has not been met.
This can be caused by any and all of the following
A. Key in vehicle
B. Key not being sensed correctly
C. Digital key interference
D. RF interference
E. Something else (?)
His recommendation is similar that was mentioned above. Stand approximately two feet from the bumper before hitting the button, key in pocket (not near phone or other key fobs) , Listen for the first beep and then the second beep which starts the count down. If this happens you are good to unload and walk away. If it doesn't (one beep, or one beep and then two) try again. So far this has worked for me. By the way there is no adjustments on the sensors to make this more reliable. He said this is quite common on all new models that have the power lift gate lock button. Lexus does not consider this an issue.
2. Liftgate one beep then the countdown then it appears that everything is working correctly but then you hear multiple beeps after closing. This means that the back down was opened (I.e put child in car) and it just means check the back seat.
This warning can be turned off. Not sure why my dealer tech could not tell me what this meant?

Old 04-19-24, 04:02 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad that you at least got some information and thanks for sharing. Just knowing what the various "beeps" mean is beneficial to me.

I realize that to some people whether this feature works as intended or not is just not a big deal but it is to me. Pretty much daily I am unloading something from the back of the vehicle (groceries, skis, bicycle, etc.) and when this feature works, it is very handy to have. When it doesn't work, I have to put down at least some (or everything) of whatever I have just unloaded to free up one hand so I can use the fob to close the rear hatch and then lock the doors. Yes, there are much bigger problems in life but I am the type that expects the various features on a vehicle to work at least a vast majority of the time.
Old 04-19-24, 04:10 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLUKTY2
Pretty much daily I am unloading something from the back of the vehicle (groceries, skis, bicycle, etc.) and when this feature works, it is very handy to have. When it doesn't work, I have to put down at least some (or everything) of whatever I have just unloaded to free up one hand so I can use the fob to close the rear hatch and then lock the doors. .
Kick sensor would be perfect for you. I use it all the time, even when I don't have anything in hand lol.
BLUKTY2 (04-19-24)
Old 04-19-24, 05:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asj2024
Kick sensor would be perfect for you. I use it all the time, even when I don't have anything in hand lol.
We have the kick sensor as well but does that close and lock the hatch or just opens it?
Old 04-19-24, 06:00 PM
asj2024
Advanced

We have the kick sensor as well but does that close and lock the hatch or just opens it?
Closes it, just kick it again. Same motion.

Btw, when I say kick it, I don't mean actually touch your feet to the underside. Just close enough to activate the sensor. You'll need to be quite close to the rear when you make the motion.

"modified to say it closes it, have not tested to see whether it locks car, per below. I automatically use key fob for locking.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-20-24 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-20-24, 01:34 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Kick sensor does not lock the doors or hatch.
Old 04-20-24, 04:02 AM
bschatzow
Rookie

Originally Posted by BLUKTY2
Glad that you at least got some information and thanks for sharing. Just knowing what the various "beeps" mean is beneficial to me.

I realize that to some people whether this feature works as intended or not is just not a big deal but it is to me. Pretty much daily I am unloading something from the back of the vehicle (groceries, skis, bicycle, etc.) and when this feature works, it is very handy to have. .
I use this daily as well . I have found if your head (as someone else mentioned) is directly below the button when you press it, it works for me 99% of the time.
BLUKTY2 (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 11:25 AM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bschatzow
Kick sensor does not lock the doors or hatch.
Exactly. So for me this option doesn't cut it.