RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Power Liftgate issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 11:47 AM
madams144
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Liftgate issues?

Just took delivery of a 23 RX premium+. Anyone having power liftgate issues? I can “open” the tailgate with the remote, the key fob, and the dash button .. no issues opening. However; randomly (about 60% of the time) the liftgate will not “close” I can press any of the button/sources and all I get is two beeps .. I have to manually close the gate. Worked fine at delivery, checked with service isle and previous owner did not report this issue during their 5 months and 4k miles of ownership. Dealer reset the radio/BCM .. worked one or twice .. then issue returns. Leave it sit overnight and it resets itself .. then the issue returns (randomly) after a couple uses..

Thoughts?

RESOLVED: Dealer confirmed the left bump stop strip was defective. Generated some code that helped identify the left side bump stop was defective. Replaced\resolved 10/6/23

Last edited by madams144; 10-07-23 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-14-23, 12:21 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Don't stand too close to the rear bumper.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
ggebhardt (09-14-23), Urlik (09-14-23)
Old 09-14-23, 02:10 PM
madams144
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Don't stand too close to the rear bumper.

Thanks, was aware of that .. used the remote far away from back of vehicle. And back of the vehicle was clear .. not close to anything. Also disabled the kick sensor in case that was interfering.. but no good.
Old 09-15-23, 02:54 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Is there a key fob left in the area or something touching the safety bumpers on the edges of the hatch?
Old 09-15-23, 04:59 AM
madams144
10th Gear

No .. only one remote so nothing in the car. Car in the drive way, level, no expansion joints in the drive, nothing near the bumper, I disabled the hands free kick option, nothing in the cargo space .. using the remote from about 5 feet back and from different angles …. No good.

Demo’d the issue to the technology person and the issue manifested itself at the dealer for him. He went to get the service manager and voila .. it worked. (Intermittent behavior). Thankfully I had a video of the behavior so the service manager could observe.

I do have a service appointment set in a couple weeks .. dealerships here are backed up for weeks.
Old 09-15-23, 06:33 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

While it is possible that there is something actually wrong, my guess is that there is something you are not doing correctly. Like maybe the FOB is in your back pocket too far away from wherever the signal is supposed to be picked up.
Old 09-15-23, 11:21 AM
madams144
10th Gear

Originally Posted by daryll40
While it is possible that there is something actually wrong, my guess is that there is something you are not doing correctly. Like maybe the FOB is in your back pocket too far away from wherever the signal is supposed to be picked up.

No, as mentioned the remote (the only one I have) is in my hand, 5 feet away from rear of car. Nothing in the cargo area, cargo mat clear (even tried with cargo mat removed) no obstructions, nothing below the bumper, nothing close to the rear bumper, no curbs, no motion.

While I concede it “could” be me, and to address your “your are not doing it correctly” comment. I brought it back to the dealership where the issue was observed by the “technology guy”. So he definitely knows how to use it. Even video’d it. Then when he went to get the service manager to observe .. the issue cleared and worked normally. Thankfully he had the video he (the technology advisor) observed. Like I mentioned.. intermittent.

Last edited by madams144; 09-15-23 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 11:30 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Here is the instructional video on all the rear door operations. The "two beeps" you hear, is that for the close and lock button or just the close button? Two beeps on the kick sensor indicates you have to try again. Two beeps on close and lock is the acknowledgement and then the waiting for you to walk away.

Old 09-15-23, 11:36 AM
madams144
10th Gear

Here is the instructional video on all the rear door operations. The "two beeps" you hear, is that for the close and lock button or just the close button? Two beeps on the kick sensor indicates you have to try again. Two beeps on close and lock is the acknowledgement and then the waiting for you to walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLr5nIPVIo&t=939s
Mostly use the “close” button, but it does that error with either button. I’ve tried everything. When I get the “two beeps” the door will not close. When the liftgate is in “operating” mode .. when I press the close button I get a single tone the door travels down to its closed and ultimate close/lock/flash lights beep

Last edited by madams144; 09-15-23 at 08:12 PM. Reason: more details
Old 09-15-23, 11:50 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

With close and lock, the double beep isn't an error tone. I guess for just the close button, the double beep is a general error indicator that one of the close criteria isn't being met. The list of them in the manual (starting on page 110) is actually quite complex, but not items typically encountered.
Old 09-15-23, 11:59 AM
madams144
10th Gear

With close and lock, the double beep isn't an error tone. I guess for just the close button, the double beep is a general error indicator that one of the close criteria isn't being met. The list of them in the manual (starting on page 110) is actually quite complex, but not items typically encountered.

When the door is in “error” mode .. and I press the “close” button (via remote, dash board, or remote fob buttons) and I get the “two beeps”, the door will not move. When in this “two beep” error code/mode .. I have to manually push the door down to the close position. When I manually push the door closed to the “closed” position .. I do not get the usual latched\beep\lights flash acknowledgment
Old 09-15-23, 01:31 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Have you tried changing the full open height? Try changing to where it does not open as far and see how it does then.
Old 09-15-23, 01:39 PM
JoeHoff
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes - mine too. Fixed today

OK - Mine started acting up around the beginning of summer when it got hot. Worked when cold, didn't work when hot.
Finally had a service and brought that up. The problem turned out to be a pinch in the wiring - just enough to open the circuit when the heat expanded the car.
My fix was the first my service has seen. Hopefully it's not a common problem and yours can be fixed and that's the end of that.
Good luck.

Lexus RX350h - premium +, 10,000 miles. Got it at the end of last December.
Any FYI, just got the 2nd key as part of the service as well.
The following users liked this post:
madams144 (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 03:08 PM
madams144
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Have you tried changing the full open height? Try changing to where it does not open as far and see how it does then.

Thanks .. yes. Even have the height set to 5 manually from the system setting menu vs having the custom setting done at the door. Tried 4 and 3 also but those changes did not solve the problem

Last edited by madams144; 09-15-23 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 03:11 PM
madams144
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JoeHoff
OK - Mine started acting up around the beginning of summer when it got hot. Worked when cold, didn't work when hot.
Finally had a service and brought that up. The problem turned out to be a pinch in the wiring - just enough to open the circuit when the heat expanded the car.
My fix was the first my service has seen. Hopefully it's not a common problem and yours can be fixed and that's the end of that.
Good luck.

Lexus RX350h - premium +, 10,000 miles. Got it at the end of last December.
Any FYI, just got the 2nd key as part of the service as well.

Thanks .. fingers crossed that the service team can get the system to error when it’s in the shop so it can be properly diagnosed.

UPDATE: Well I be darn .. there is a bump sensor on the left and right sides of the liftgate door. I did a test and a “bump” to those will stop the door. While unknown if one of those are “pinched” or defective will cause the intermittent close issue for me, it’s definitely something to keep in mind. I “worked” the sensor tubes on both sides to see if the issue goes away. Sure would be nice if it were. Thanks for the hint.

Last edited by madams144; 09-15-23 at 04:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JoeHoff (09-15-23)

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate issues?