RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Air conditioner not cold enough!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23 | 02:50 PM
babinjunior64
6th Gear

Default Air conditioner not cold enough!

I have a 2023 RX350 with Luxury package. Driving it over 10 days now and find the ac is never cold enough. On every low setting imaginable. Max setting, Lowest temps, Recirculating air. Nothing helps.All ECO modes are always turned OFF! I live in Louisiana and I know it’s always hot here but my last car (MB GLE) had excellent ac cooling capacity. Vehicle does have panoramic sunroof which allows large sun exposure, but I always keep it closed with sunshade barrier closed as well. Will try ceramic window tint on all windows. Hopefully this will help. I know the refrigerant is ozone friendly so it’s probably not the best at cooling. I may take it in for a check if window tinting doesn’t help. Anyone else experiencing this issue ?

Last edited by babinjunior64; 10-01-23 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-01-23 | 03:25 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Nope, get it checked by the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
babinjunior64 (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23 | 05:47 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

I live east of Dallas. Had many 100+ days and the RX A/C worked fine all summer. Suggest you get it checked out.

I do have tint at the legal Texas limit, and a regular moonroof.
babinjunior64 (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23 | 08:07 PM
ReggieRx
Rookie

We have the 350h and agree it's nowhere near as cold as other cars we've had. It's still cold enough for us but barely on hot days.
babinjunior64 (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23 | 01:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

My 350h’s AC has been cool enough for my Florida’s 100 degree summer days. I have had vehicles with colder air but find the 350h to be more than sufficient.
babinjunior64 (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23 | 06:16 AM
IDLexus
10th Gear

Our 350h Luxury package has been a disappointment when it comes to the cooling as well! We live in North Idaho and it can breach 100°, but that's rare. Even in the 80s, the air conditioner has struggled to chill me when I want to be cold when driving. I've commented to the family about how it's frustrating to have 7 fan speed settings, when even the most powerful doesn't - when temperature is set to coldest setting - even seem to blow cold...I want to be instantly chilled and cooled when it's on this setting! More frustrating than the AC though, is the ventilated seats! So often, I cannot even detect that they are on and cooling my seat. I understand they are supposedly pulling air (heat) away from the body/seat, but I wish they actually blew air conditioned air through the perforations, then allow me to adjust how cold they get by using the three different settings.
Yes, the AC does a fine enough job, but it isn't great! I really wish it was capable of making me freezing and forcing me to turn the settings (both fan speed and desired temperature) down once I've been rapidly cooled. Other cars satisfy me here, so it's not like I'm impossible to please. The teenage boys in the backseat all say the same about their ventilated seats!
Lastly, these are the two biggest gripes about our RX, everything else (except I do wish the ambient lighting could be brighter if I wanted - max brightness is too dim...that's my last complaint of the RX) is fantastic and we all love it! Going in today for the 5k service and it's been amazing overall! Perhaps I'll mention the AC being a disappointment.
Josh
The following 2 users liked this post by IDLexus:
babinjunior64 (10-02-23), BerthoudPa (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23 | 08:44 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

If you have the hybrid keep in mind that having the car and HVAC on ECO will reduce the AC performance in order to save fuel
Carbuff2 (10-03-23)
Old 10-02-23 | 09:53 AM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

I have the regular 350 and some days during the summer it just felt like it was blowing 70 degrees even though I set it at the lowest. Other days it will actually be cold. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal, and measured the vent with a thermometer. My previous Lexus did not have this issue.
babinjunior64 (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23 | 10:03 AM
babinjunior64
6th Gear

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
If you have the hybrid keep in mind that having the car and HVAC on ECO will reduce the AC performance in order to save fuel
not a hybrid and I never use any eco modes. Never.
Old 10-02-23 | 03:38 PM
BerthoudPa
Driver

I don't think my RX 350 is very cold either but I'm comparing it to the freezer I had in my Accord., a sedan. A lot of cu. ft. of volume difference, My GF had her side temp in the Accord at 80. She had the seat heater on the other day in the RX.

Now that the temps are back down to the 90's here in the Dallas area it's fine but at 108+ like its been all summer not the greatest. Maybe I expected too much.
babinjunior64 (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23 | 05:26 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Try turning off S-Flow. That way, the A/C will work in the rear seating area as well as the front.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...seat-area.html

This is just a W.A.G. on my part, post back if you sense an improvement.
Urlik (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23 | 06:48 AM
IDLexus
10th Gear

Well, I had the first service done at the local dealer yesterday. They held true to their vision of having excellent service and I was very well pleased! I did inquire about the AC being less than ideal and they stated they would test it for me. It's been mentioned here already on how that procedure goes: but to briefly explain once again, they connect a thermometer to the vent and turn it to max cold setting. They test this to make sure it is within specifications and it was. Spec is 50° apparently since this is what they said mine read at. They mentioned the typical stuff as well: Eco mode can make it less cold, try using S-Flow, try turning off S-Flow, etc. I explained to them I've done all that and that when in Sport Mode, it still feels lacking, but it works well enough. They said they would continue monitor it for me the next time I bring it in and we left it at that.
As for the ventilated seats, this wasn't even an attempted conversation on how to make it cooler; just a brief statement that it's not setup to pump cold air through the seats. Interestingly, the RX500x loaner they lent me had cooler seats than my 350h Luxury.
All in all, I'm still extremely pleased with the vehicle and will settle for having cool ventilation within the cab and not ice cold air.
Lastly, they did fix my dash separation in the same time as the oil change. They used larger clips and didn't have to remove all the other components.
Josh
babinjunior64 (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23 | 06:55 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by IDLexus
Interestingly, the RX500x loaner they lent me had cooler seats than my 350h Luxury.
All in all, I'm still extremely pleased with the vehicle and will settle for having cool ventilation within the cab and not ice cold air.
Those two models have different seats.
Old 10-04-23 | 03:37 PM
babinjunior64
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Try turning off S-Flow. That way, the A/C will work in the rear seating area as well as the front.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...seat-area.html

This is just a W.A.G. on my part, post back if you sense an improvement.
S flow never on. The ac sucks all around
Old 10-04-23 | 03:40 PM
babinjunior64
6th Gear

Originally Posted by IDLexus
Well, I had the first service done at the local dealer yesterday. They held true to their vision of having excellent service and I was very well pleased! I did inquire about the AC being less than ideal and they stated they would test it for me. It's been mentioned here already on how that procedure goes: but to briefly explain once again, they connect a thermometer to the vent and turn it to max cold setting. They test this to make sure it is within specifications and it was. Spec is 50° apparently since this is what they said mine read at. They mentioned the typical stuff as well: Eco mode can make it less cold, try using S-Flow, try turning off S-Flow, etc. I explained to them I've done all that and that when in Sport Mode, it still feels lacking, but it works well enough. They said they would continue monitor it for me the next time I bring it in and we left it at that.
As for the ventilated seats, this wasn't even an attempted conversation on how to make it cooler; just a brief statement that it's not setup to pump cold air through the seats. Interestingly, the RX500x loaner they lent me had cooler seats than my 350h Luxury.
Lastly, they did fix my dash separation in the same time as the oil change. They used larger clips and didn't have to remove all the other components.

Josh
Im considering trading it in if ac doesn’t improve. And the ML stereo is horrible. What a let down.

Quick Reply: Air conditioner not cold enough!