RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 10:09 PM
nvj
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed

I have a 2023 RX500h built December of 2022 and for the past few months now there has been a humming/wind noise on the highway (at speeds above 110km/h which seems to be coming from the panoramic sunroof. At the 16,000km service the dealership lowered the driver side of the sunroof by 2mm as it was sitting higher then the passenger side. However this still did not fix the issue as it still makes a humming/howling wind noise at high speeds. Doesn’t really make a difference whether the sunshade is closed or not. Just curious to see if any others have been experiencing a similar issue? It’s not a serious wind noise but it’s noticeable to the point where it’s annoying.
Old 10-22-23, 07:04 AM
TM238
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started noticing similar humming at same speeds you are. No clue or ideas but can say its forward of the driver. At times it is sounding like it’s more forward toward the grill. Hard to trouble shoot other than varying speeds but I tried wipers to maybe disrupt air flow over the roof line but zero change.

It’s seems air flow related for sure. When driving by oncoming traffic or tucking in behind big rigs the humming is effected.

not a big deal like you said but the ocd hones in on it at times….

Old 10-22-23, 11:02 AM
nvj
2nd gear

Originally Posted by TM238
Just started noticing similar humming at same speeds you are. No clue or ideas but can say its forward of the driver. At times it is sounding like it’s more forward toward the grill. Hard to trouble shoot other than varying speeds but I tried wipers to maybe disrupt air flow over the roof line but zero change.

It’s seems air flow related for sure. When driving by oncoming traffic or tucking in behind big rigs the humming is effected.

not a big deal like you said but the ocd hones in on it at times….
Exactly it sounds like it’s coming from the dash or front hood/grill area at times but then it also sounds like it’s from above your head while driving which makes me think it may be related to the sunroof. It’s hard to pinpoint the source. I have also noticed the same thing that when driving behind a car or big rig the humming almost stops but when you go around it the humming comes back. Definitely related to some sort of aerodynamic property. I’ve folded the mirrors in on the highway incase it was related to that but did not work. Gonna have the dealership check the seals around the sunroof and roof rails at the next service…. Maybe there’s a slight gap that causes it? Again not a severe wind noise or whistle, just an annoying humming that’s hard to ignore once you can hear it at highway speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Dpmidkiff (01-04-24)
Old 10-22-23, 12:30 PM
TM238
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ll mention to dealer as well when it is in for next service and share any info. Funny that I’ve only noticed it last little while and am now coming up on 10k km. Otherwise love the car. 3rd RX and the extra HP is nice.
Old 10-22-23, 11:58 PM
skyroom
4th Gear

Exclamation RX 500h (2023) Unusual wind noise at higher speed

I've been encountering an unusual issue with my car that I'm hoping you might have some insights on. At high speeds, particularly around 120 km/h (or 75 mph) and above, I'm hearing an exceptionally loud wind noise. To give you a better idea, it's akin to the sound of blowing over a bottle. This noise is distinct, different from the typical wind noise (neither faint humming noise but more of a loud bottle-blowing noise), and becomes noticeable once it starts, usually at that specific speed. Interestingly, the noise level varies based on the wind's direction hitting the car as I drive on the highway.

Accompanying this noise, I've noticed a slight car instability and vibration. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the car. Additionally, during these instances, it feels like the car's aerodynamics are poorly designed, leading to high resistance against the wind.

I already reached out to the dealership and verified the noise with the technician however it seems that I am the only one complaining about such an issue therefore there is no known quick fix. This issue is just unbearable and affects the overall driving experience of the car (it is really unpleasant with over $100k price tag the car is limited to 110km/h). It seems like it only happens with RX 500h (not 350s).
Already tried:
  • Swivelling the car at a higher speed to see if the noise changes. It did not so I assume it is not a wheel-bearing noise.
  • Tried test driving in almost all directions (with different wind conditions). The noise level and pitch clearly vary depending on the direction and the strength of the wind so I also assume it isn't a tire noise.
I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced something similar or might have suggestions on what could be causing this issue. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by skyroom; 10-23-23 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 12:12 AM
skyroom
4th Gear

I know exactly what you are experiencing and unfortunately, my dealership was not able to fix the problem. The humming sound is present and they could verify it but were not able to fix it. I am glad I am not the only one complaining about the issue.

For me, the issue got larger and now I am experiencing excessive wind noise after around 120km/h (It is distinct noise and different from normal wind noise). It sounds like it is coming from the front or bottom of the car.

Last edited by skyroom; 10-23-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 10:16 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

If it's wind noise related, it's like the around the side mirrors and A pillar area. This area causes a lot of turbulence and swooshing sounds in mine. You can test it by folding the mirrors in on the highway and see if it affects the pitch. I am currently trying to find out a high pitched whining noise at 61-63mph and a low hum sound at 75+mph. In terms of aerodynamics, this current car has very loud wind noise at 70+.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 10-24-23, 07:37 AM
KEVPAR
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the exact same noise and feeling. I was on a 8hr Drive to NYC and it was unbearable. I was able to put mine on a lift to see if anything underneath was loose but there was nothing. I have an appointment this week at the Local Lexus Dealer to see about it. I will let you know if they find anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by KEVPAR:
cpoboats (02-23-24), jpspchen10 (02-28-24), skyroom (10-24-23)
Old 10-24-23, 01:43 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Nothing like that on my RX350 with pano roof. I did 100mph at one point this weekend in it too. Either something isn’t right on yours or it’s something specific to the 500h.
lexusnyca (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 02:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

No noise on my 350h either. I have never opened my sun roof/pano as I enjoy the peace and quiet with it closed. I have ventured into the 90 MPH range a few times when it was safe, smooth and quiet. Strange how a particular vehicle makes so much noise and others do not.
Old 10-25-23, 04:51 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

No noise noticed here, but we play the radio/sound system rather loudly.

"Bottle-blowing noise"? If the dealer can't replicate, you could diagnose by (for example) taping the trim molding along the windshield, or as mentioned, seeing of folding the windows at speed changes the noise. More involved diagnosis: attaching a barrier to the bottom of the front bumper, to change airflow UNDER the car.
Old 11-02-23, 07:04 AM
KEVPAR
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVPAR
I have the exact same noise and feeling. I was on a 8hr Drive to NYC and it was unbearable. I was able to put mine on a lift to see if anything underneath was loose but there was nothing. I have an appointment this week at the Local Lexus Dealer to see about it. I will let you know if they find anything.
Took mine in last week. They can hear the noise but have no clue where it is coming from. They said the smoke tested the front end and can not see anything. The shop foreman is going to look further into it for me with Lexus Canada. I was driving it yesterday on the 407 and it was so bad. Makes me not want to drive it on the highway at all. I will follow up with them later this week and see if they have any updates..
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 11-02-23, 06:10 PM
skyroom
4th Gear

Originally Posted by KEVPAR
Took mine in last week. They can hear the noise but have no clue where it is coming from. They said the smoke tested the front end and can not see anything. The shop foreman is going to look further into it for me with Lexus Canada. I was driving it yesterday on the 407 and it was so bad. Makes me not want to drive it on the highway at all. I will follow up with them later this week and see if they have any updates..
That is really unfortunate. Yes, that is the exact behavior and my thought as well. Makes me hesitant to take the car on a highway due to the loud wind noise as well. Please let me know once you hear from them.
Old 11-02-23, 06:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Have you tried opening one or more windows a bit? Try and change the airflow.
Old 11-02-23, 06:52 PM
skyroom
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Have you tried opening one or more windows a bit? Try and change the airflow.
It is clearly not from the top or side of the car. More from the grill or bottom of the car. But in short, I did try everything including opening the window and retracting the side mirror while on the highway; none of them helped.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)

Quick Reply: RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed