RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 06:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by skyroom
It is clearly not from the top or side of the car. More from the grill or bottom of the car. But in short, I did try everything including opening the window and retracting the side mirror while on the highway; none of them helped.
In that case I would guess there is a harmonic effect happening with one or more of the under panels.
Old 11-16-23, 10:17 AM
vjwinthrop3
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my 2023 RX 350 Premium+. The strange thing is that I owned the car for 4 months before the issue began. You can start to hear the pulsating/low humming sound around 65mph and it becomes very noticeable at 75+ mph. I can hear it even if I have music blasting and it's embarrassing when I have passengers in the car as I know this is not typical for Lexus products. The dealership did a thorough check of main safety points and could not find anything wrong. Unfortunately, due to the location of the dealership, it's pretty much impossible for the technicians to test drive the car at high speeds to recreate the sound. The service manager has sent a request for the issue to be reviewed by our local Lexus field engineer. I hoping they can find a fix!

Last edited by vjwinthrop3; 11-16-23 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 11-16-23, 01:37 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Are you sure it isn't a wheel out of balance?
Old 11-16-23, 01:45 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Are you sure it isn't a wheel out of balance?
…or even a bad wheel bearing from hitting a pot hole or just a bad bearing in manufacturing.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 11-18-23, 10:06 AM
Dpmidkiff
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Humming in RX

This is my 3rd RX and have never had an issue before. I have 7700 miles on it and it started maybe a month ago. We drove 4000 miles this summer and never noticed it. I really feel it is the redesign of the grill. Depending on wind it is louder at diff times. Only speeds over 60 mph. If you pull behind a semi it stops. Not sure why it has only started recently.

Last edited by Dpmidkiff; 11-18-23 at 10:09 AM.
Carbuff2 (11-20-23)
Old 12-01-23, 07:03 AM
vjwinthrop3
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVPAR
I have the exact same noise and feeling. I was on a 8hr Drive to NYC and it was unbearable. I was able to put mine on a lift to see if anything underneath was loose but there was nothing. I have an appointment this week at the Local Lexus Dealer to see about it. I will let you know if they find anything.
Any luck finding the cause of the noise? I'm having the same issue with my RX 350.
Old 12-01-23, 07:34 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Took my RX350 in for 2nd key fob and 5k service a few days ago, and also had them check this issue out. Went on test drive with service manager driving and he could hear same thing and agreed that he didn't know what would be causing it. They put it up on lift, checked all the underbody panels, tires, and wheel bearings, but couldn't find any issues at all. Conclusion on service invoice was "Wind passing through the front bumper and deflecting under the vehicle causes normal wind noise". That X5 is looking better and better at this point...
The following 3 users liked this post by jaxn1010:
autotech13 (12-02-23), E46CT (12-05-23), jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-05-23, 08:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by skyroom
the sound of blowing over a bottle. This noise is distinct, different from the typical wind noise (neither faint humming noise but more of a loud bottle-blowing noise), and becomes noticeable once it starts, usually at that specific speed. Interestingly, the noise level varies based on the wind's direction hitting the car as I drive on the highway.

Accompanying this noise, I've noticed a slight car instability and vibration. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the car. Additionally, during these instances, it feels like the car's aerodynamics are poorly designed, leading to high resistance against the wind.

. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah .35 cd of the RX is high drag. lots of car makers are inefficient generally at drag, but also many favor high bulging front hood/grill areas which almost exponentially increases the frontal surface area. but still i wouldn't expect a noise over a bottle sound to be normal. my guess is that there's some gap or deficiency somewhere (hence your description of the sound) and you just have to locate it. perhaps missing sealant or missing seal. i would focus efforts in or around the windshield and glass. tops of the windshield, perhaps. inspect for any abnormal or inconsistent gaps or openings. although you said the noise sounds like it's below, sound can play tricks on you. have you ever had any windshield replaced? sometimes the installer can misapply sealant.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-11-23, 08:25 AM
KEVPAR
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vjwinthrop3
Any luck finding the cause of the noise? I'm having the same issue with my RX 350.
I have had it in 3 times so for for this Noise. The last time they changed one of the moldings on the Drivers door hoping that this will fix the noise. After I picked it up it was still there and just as loud. I have it scheduled back in next week Monday. I really hope they can fix this noise. Its defiantly something to do with the front facia or under shields. I do not think its the tires as I have installed my winter tires and the noise is exactly the same. If it was a bearing noise the sound should change when you load or unload the weight on the bearing and this noise does not. I really hate driving it on the highway. I hope they can fix it.

Last edited by KEVPAR; 12-11-23 at 08:33 AM.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-11-23, 01:43 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

I agree with people here saying its the nose - if you look behind the grille, the air flows into an unbaffled chamber there and at the right angles/wind direction, there has to be some sonic effect. I think the fix for this, if they issue one, will be very involved. They are going to have to introduce some kind of baffle behind the nose grille.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-11-23, 02:13 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVPAR
I have had it in 3 times so for for this Noise. The last time they changed one of the moldings on the Drivers door hoping that this will fix the noise. After I picked it up it was still there and just as loud. I have it scheduled back in next week Monday. I really hope they can fix this noise. Its defiantly something to do with the front facia or under shields. I do not think its the tires as I have installed my winter tires and the noise is exactly the same. If it was a bearing noise the sound should change when you load or unload the weight on the bearing and this noise does not. I really hate driving it on the highway. I hope they can fix it.
I don't believe it's molding sound. Mine seemed to come from the front end, and a buffeting hum sound. Usually trim and molding is more high pitched and does not create a bass effect.
Old 12-11-23, 03:26 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Vibration and instability sound like a tire, wheel issue but don't know how that would make that bottle noise. Are all the air dams and plastic covers on the under carriage in place? Something could be causing an aerodynamic drag/instability that wouldn't be noticed at low speeds. I had a Subaru Outback that make noise at high speeds but that was a sun roof issue. You may have to escalate this to the Lexus national customer service level if the local dealer can't figure it out. I agree I would not be happy with this even if it was a Corolla let alone your 500h.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-11-23, 04:27 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I have only around 500 miles on my 500h, but no wind noise at steady speeds between 60 and 70 and short pushes up to 80MPH.

If it was a common (structural) thing, one would expect many/all 500h owners would experience the issue.

My thinking is something got sucked in the duct of the lower front bumper by the fog light and hasn't made it out the vents in front of the wheel.

Offered only as I've heard leaves, small sticks and other debris make strange noise when they somehow make it into the outside-air flow ductwork.
jpspchen10 (02-28-24)
Old 12-12-23, 04:41 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

If the noise is repeatable but the dealer can't find it, see if you can identify the source by taping over areas of the front (painter's tape).
Old 12-12-23, 08:35 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Yes that's a good idea, but it would be a lot to tape. If you look behind that grill from under the hood, you definitely get the sense that that hollow space could easily be a acoustic source. I really think they need some kind of baffle installed in there to stop this. My bet is Lexus is just going to try and ignore it and wave off owners who are sensitive to the sound.

Quick Reply: RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed