RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 02:36 PM
pchoy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyroom
I've been encountering an unusual issue with my car that I'm hoping you might have some insights on. At high speeds, particularly around 120 km/h (or 75 mph) and above, I'm hearing an exceptionally loud wind noise. To give you a better idea, it's akin to the sound of blowing over a bottle. This noise is distinct, different from the typical wind noise (neither faint humming noise but more of a loud bottle-blowing noise), and becomes noticeable once it starts, usually at that specific speed. Interestingly, the noise level varies based on the wind's direction hitting the car as I drive on the highway.

Accompanying this noise, I've noticed a slight car instability and vibration. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the car. Additionally, during these instances, it feels like the car's aerodynamics are poorly designed, leading to high resistance against the wind.

I already reached out to the dealership and verified the noise with the technician however it seems that I am the only one complaining about such an issue therefore there is no known quick fix. This issue is just unbearable and affects the overall driving experience of the car (it is really unpleasant with over $100k price tag the car is limited to 110km/h). It seems like it only happens with RX 500h (not 350s).
Already tried:
  • Swivelling the car at a higher speed to see if the noise changes. It did not so I assume it is not a wheel-bearing noise.
  • Tried test driving in almost all directions (with different wind conditions). The noise level and pitch clearly vary depending on the direction and the strength of the wind so I also assume it isn't a tire noise.
I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced something similar or might have suggestions on what could be causing this issue. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I made a test drive last year for the RX 500h. I tested the RX500h and had the same problem: unusual wind noise at the driver side . At the beginning reached 60mph, I thought I didn’t close the driver side window well, but I was not. I tried another one and the third one, it’s the same. I drove the 350h , was the same. But nothing when I test the RX 350. I believed it’s the electric streaming noise from the motor or something…. So I quit to buy this. Now I’m waiting for the Land Cruiser first edition.
Old 03-10-24, 04:13 PM
jaxn1010
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

There are several gas/ICE RX350s that are experiencing same noise at same speeds. Not just a hybrid powertrain issue. I suspect the factory adhesive used to hold those air ducts in place is failing randomly either due to poor QC, poor surface prep, or faulty adhesive. Also curious that as time goes on if there will be more that fail. Not a critical failure, but it sure is irritating if you drive on highways/motorways.
Old 03-10-24, 04:41 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

Indeed, it happens on the 350 also. It's a manufacturing issue, not all cars do it, and it appear they have the fix now.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
jsch222 (03-11-24), madams144 (03-12-24)
Old 03-11-24, 10:13 AM
Criticalman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpmidkiff
This is my 3rd RX and have never had an issue before. I have 7700 miles on it and it started maybe a month ago. We drove 4000 miles this summer and never noticed it. I really feel it is the redesign of the grill. Depending on wind it is louder at diff times. Only speeds over 60 mph. If you pull behind a semi it stops. Not sure why it has only started recently.
Do you have your license plate on the front?
My state doesn't have a front license... and I've never heard the noise.
Old 03-11-24, 10:46 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Indeed, it happens on the 350 also. It's a manufacturing issue, not all cars do it, and it appear they have the fix now.
This is 100% accurate.
The following users liked this post:
madams144 (03-12-24)
Old 03-11-24, 11:06 AM
Dpmidkiff
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Criticalman
Do you have your license plate on the front?
My state doesn't have a front license... and I've never heard the noise.
nope no front license plate
Old 03-12-24, 09:04 PM
madams144
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Airflow Buzzing under hood - Fixed

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Agree .. not limited to the hybrid, we have a Feb23 build RX350 premium plus with the air flow buzzing. I described it to the dealership as a bumble bee buzzing at speeds over 65mph. Underhood and airflow related.

They were able to replicate the issue, called Lexus engineering where they were told some air deflectors under the grill/bumper was the source of the issue. They are applying the recommended fix and I get the car back tomorrow. (3/13/24) They were confident they’re on a resolution path. I’m sure my service ticket will be similar to those posted above.

Good to see Lexus found the resolution
Carbuff2 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 06:11 AM
Dpmidkiff
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pls let us know if this works!
Old 03-13-24, 06:11 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

That's great news, wish Lexus was that concerned with all the other problems other folks here are having!
Old 03-19-24, 02:20 PM
Namtrac
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on the wind noise issue with my 23 RX500H:

I brought my car in last week for my 6 month service and asked them to check the noise issue. Of course it was an unseasonably warm day and they couldn't replicate the issue. My guess since it was close to 70 they would have needed an empty stretch of highway going 75+ mph to initiate the noise. We discussed that it would be colder this week and that I would bring the car back and do a ride with the shop manager. So this morning (temps in the high 30s) I brought the car back in and took a ride with the manager. I was able to initiate the noise at 50-55 mph on demand so he could clearly hear it. The shop manager said he personally hasn't experienced that issue yet with any customers at the dealership but he did mention that he had heard some discussions brought up about a potential wind noise issue. When we got back to the dealership he did some quick research and then asked if I could leave the car for the day for them to work on it. I just picked up the car and wasn't able to initiate the noise on the drive home. Hopefully the problem is solved. I will report back after a few months of driving. Below is a copy of my service invoice. As others have reported the issue is definitely inside the front grill and requires removing the front bumper to work on.

Markfm (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 02:37 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Front radiator air guards. Fits what others say solved the issue.
Old 03-20-24, 04:04 PM
jaxn1010
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

ouch "poor fit poor assembly"; not words you'd expect to hear regarding a Lexus. Earlier I thought it was a bad batch of adhesives or the like, but this makes it sound more like plain old poor assembly line qc.

Last edited by jaxn1010; 03-20-24 at 04:11 PM.
autotech13 (03-21-24)
Old 05-02-24, 05:02 AM
LVRX500h
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, did you already solved that problem with some service in Czechia? I have so far unsuccessfully convinced the service to try to solve it (Lexus Prague and HK).
Thanks

Hello, don´t you have any picture of "how did they fix it" ? One service promised me that they will look into the problem based on this forum, but they don't know exactly how to fix the deflector? Possibly contact your service? Thank you very much.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-02-24 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 12:11 PM
VlastislavRX500h
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVRX500h
Hi, did you already solved that problem with some service in Czechia? I have so far unsuccessfully convinced the service to try to solve it (Lexus Prague and HK).
Thanks
Hello, they did something. They blinded the holes in the hood. But it's not ok, there is still a strange sound at certain speeds. If you write to me on this email, we can pass the phone to each other and call each other. vlastikrouha@seznam.cz
Old 05-07-24, 06:11 PM
grhughes
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked up my new 2024 RX 350 and on the way home from purchasing this vehicle it started this same issue. I knew it was in the front end somewhere because driving on the interstate when a car passed me and pulled in front of me the noise would stop until that car put more distance between us. Is the consensus that it's the radiator air guards?

Quick Reply: RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed