RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX 500h Unusual wind noise at higher speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-24, 04:23 AM
mallucharan
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise Issue in 2024 Lexus RX 350h

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2024 Lexus RX 350h, and I’ve been noticing significant wind noise in the cabin at high speeds (70 -85 mph) With only 1000 miles on the odometer, I expected a quieter ride, especially given Lexus’s reputation for luxury and silence.

To be honest, the level of noise reminds me of driving a Hyundai or Honda, which is quite disappointing for a brand new Lexus. For context, my RX 350h was manufactured in Canada.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the 2024 model? Is this typical for this model, or should I be concerned? Any suggestions on how to address this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-24, 06:47 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mallucharan

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the 2024 model? Is this typical for this model,
Read up-topic or do an ADVANCED SEARCH.

Specifically, post 115.
Old 06-27-24, 11:36 AM
mallucharan
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Westwind750
I just got back from a weekend road trip (5 hours each way), super quiet now, and very grateful for your help.
who is your dealer ??
Old 07-04-24, 08:57 AM
orvyen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wind noise solution

I had the same problem with wind noise. Service manager took a ride with me, and could hear the noise. I was given a brand new Lexus to drive while they solved the problem. The had to have a Lexus engineer come to the dealership to solve the problem. It took a week, but they did eliminate the noise. Below is the diagnosis and fix copied from the repair invoice:

7104 used chassis ears to pinpoint were vibration was coming from.
found front, right side air guard plate (16691-F0110) was vibrating
while vehicle is at highway speeds with a headwind. Vehicle has to have
a headwind, and the vehicle needs to be at around 70 mph. 1.50 applied
1/2” foam tape to edges with the air dam that it sits in to stop it
from rubbing/vibrating. Had to perform multiple test drives in order
to confirm fix.

Notice that their diagnosis claims that the vehicle had to be going into a head to hear the noise. That is not true.
It was more noticeable going into a headwind, but the noise was there at high speeds.
Old 08-04-24, 09:53 AM
mallucharan
9th Gear

Originally Posted by orvyen
I had the same problem with wind noise. Service manager took a ride with me, and could hear the noise. I was given a brand new Lexus to drive while they solved the problem. The had to have a Lexus engineer come to the dealership to solve the problem. It took a week, but they did eliminate the noise. Below is the diagnosis and fix copied from the repair invoice:

7104 used chassis ears to pinpoint were vibration was coming from.
found front, right side air guard plate (16691-F0110) was vibrating
while vehicle is at highway speeds with a headwind. Vehicle has to have
a headwind, and the vehicle needs to be at around 70 mph. 1.50 applied
1/2” foam tape to edges with the air dam that it sits in to stop it
from rubbing/vibrating. Had to perform multiple test drives in order
to confirm fix.

Notice that their diagnosis claims that the vehicle had to be going into a head to hear the noise. That is not true.
It was more noticeable going into a headwind, but the noise was there at high speeds.

who is your dealer?
Old 08-04-24, 09:56 AM
mallucharan
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Westwind750
It's early but I am optimistic. Initial quick evaluation by tech was "no noise noted" but have a fantastic salesman who advocated for me so got tech to take car home a few days and had a manager drive it so was confirmed. Sounds like (pun intended) the same fix as yours- application of some form of tape. I researched this since my invoice includes a part number for a Toyota "Noise Kit" which leads me to believe that weird noises can present periodically on all kinds of models and this usually fixes it.

Also seems like a very small number of these cars are affected. I've read over 110,000 of these have been delivered and in searching all the social media I can find have found maybe 15+ that have this issue.

Apparently, contacting the field engineer as jsch222 has suggested takes an act of congress or at least the express permission of the top service manager, so not sure if they did that or not.

If anyone is at a dead end with this noise problem, and the attached invoice doesn't get your dealer motivated, message me directly and I will put you directly in touch with my SA here in Dallas.

Thank you again JSCH for sharing your experience.

I would love to get in touch , I may not be able to drive to Texas since I’m Toronto , happy to take his suggestion or drive to nearest US based Lexus

Originally Posted by Namtrac
Update on the wind noise issue with my 23 RX500H:

I brought my car in last week for my 6 month service and asked them to check the noise issue. Of course it was an unseasonably warm day and they couldn't replicate the issue. My guess since it was close to 70 they would have needed an empty stretch of highway going 75+ mph to initiate the noise. We discussed that it would be colder this week and that I would bring the car back and do a ride with the shop manager. So this morning (temps in the high 30s) I brought the car back in and took a ride with the manager. I was able to initiate the noise at 50-55 mph on demand so he could clearly hear it. The shop manager said he personally hasn't experienced that issue yet with any customers at the dealership but he did mention that he had heard some discussions brought up about a potential wind noise issue. When we got back to the dealership he did some quick research and then asked if I could leave the car for the day for them to work on it. I just picked up the car and wasn't able to initiate the noise on the drive home. Hopefully the problem is solved. I will report back after a few months of driving. Below is a copy of my service invoice. As others have reported the issue is definitely inside the front grill and requires removing the front bumper to work on.

who is the dealer ?

Originally Posted by KEVPAR
Took mine in last week. They can hear the noise but have no clue where it is coming from. They said the smoke tested the front end and can not see anything. The shop foreman is going to look further into it for me with Lexus Canada. I was driving it yesterday on the 407 and it was so bad. Makes me not want to drive it on the highway at all. I will follow up with them later this week and see if they have any updates..
did you resolve the issue ,I’m also from GTA And wanted to hear from you

Last edited by kitlz; 08-09-24 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-11-24, 09:44 AM
StickmanS
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had the same issue with the wind noise I brought it to Sterling McCall Lexus Clear Lake, I talked to the service advisor there in advance about this issue on the rx350 2023 and he also talked to the service manager about the issue and they were both aware of it prior to my appointment. I wanted to make them aware because they were the closest dealership to me from my location and it still took me 2.5 hours to get to them. I showed up the day of my appointment and it was pouring rain and they couldn't replicate the issue I even took a test drive with the service lead tech and we could barely reach highway speeds due to traffic and also with the rain present it was just not going to happen. They told me that the cause was the crossbars in which I was like definitely not because its coming from the front. I saw someone went to a Dallas dealer and they took care of it, are there dealerships out there that can look up this common issue on the 5th gen RX's without having to actually replicate the issue? I even showed them the posts on these forums with the attached service invoices and they told me "not to focus on forums because I can get hyper fixated on the issue". Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 08-11-24, 09:53 AM
mallucharan
9th Gear

Originally Posted by StickmanS
Ive had the same issue with the wind noise I brought it to Sterling McCall Lexus Clear Lake, I talked to the service advisor there in advance about this issue on the rx350 2023 and he also talked to the service manager about the issue and they were both aware of it prior to my appointment. I wanted to make them aware because they were the closest dealership to me from my location and it still took me 2.5 hours to get to them. I showed up the day of my appointment and it was pouring rain and they couldn't replicate the issue I even took a test drive with the service lead tech and we could barely reach highway speeds due to traffic and also with the rain present it was just not going to happen. They told me that the cause was the crossbars in which I was like definitely not because its coming from the front. I saw someone went to a Dallas dealer and they took care of it, are there dealerships out there that can look up this common issue on the 5th gen RX's without having to actually replicate the issue? I even showed them the posts on these forums with the attached service invoices and they told me "not to focus on forums because I can get hyper fixated on the issue". Any help is appreciated thanks!
same story here in GTA reached ST Catherine location near Niagara .it was rainy and could go on cruise speed