RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models
View Poll Results: Would you recommend the RX to your friends/family?
Yes
60.47%
No
39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Would you recommend the RX to your friends/family?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 03:44 AM
omar33
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Good idea on the poll, however I'm not sure how to get that started
Old 11-18-23, 03:53 AM
omar33
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It’s disappointing to hear instances of build quality issues. This is the one thing that makes Lexus owners loyal presumably.
These cars never compared well to their German rivals on paper. Lexus vehicles were always subpar on power, tech, and other amenities but it made up it by driving far longer with less maintenance costs. It’s been their strategy as long as I can remember and some would say it’s been successful.
Old 11-18-23, 05:11 AM
ddimick
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on what they are looking for. We have a 2023 500h F-Sport. It’s a good car, but not well-suited to the *performance* luxury SUV market. I like the tech, mostly, but there are driver aid systems that cross the line into nanny territory. I don’t want my car to tell me to “Sit Up”. I don’t want a HUD putting up a number in red if I’m one MPH over the speed limit. Putting a nested menu structure in the HUD isn’t a great idea, either. You can barely see it when the sun is shining and you’re wearing sunglasses with polarized lenses. They forgot the purpose of steering wheel controls. They are supposed to make you less distracted, not more. The climate control ***** in particular feel like cheap plastic in an otherwise pretty nice interior. The power performance is acceptable, even fun at times, and they did a great job seamlessly integrating the hybrid tech as you would expect. There were some other tech features that impressed us, as well.

But it’s like driving a pillow. There’s zero road feel to your hands, and the body roll in the corners does not inspire confidence. You’ll never get that feeling like you’re driving on rails with this car. They *could* have, all the necessary components are there, they just didn’t set it up that way.

It’s comfortable, just not very interesting.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddimick:
ndg (11-19-23), omar33 (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 09:25 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

My RX350h is exactly what we wanted so I would definitely recommend it. It is quiet, comfortable, soft, has more room over the NX, reliable, and great on fuel. The 4 cycl is a bit noisy on cold, but once it warms up and with smooth throttle inputs it stays on electric and doesn't come on. The X5 is $20g more with the same comfort packages so for the starting price of X5 territory you can get a fully loaded RX.

As a family car, we don't need a high performance vehicle so we didnt consider a 500h which is $10g more. (If you can even call the 4-cycl 500h a high performance vehicle.) We've got 2 small children in the back most of the time so we're not doing quick launches or hard cornering. I have the GSF for that. Driving the RX for a week feels like I'm on a hospital bed with an IV on my arm. I feel nothing and everything is comfortable and isolated. Jump back into my GSF and immediately I feel more engaged. The direct steering feel, the lowered suspension, V8 rumble, analog controls, makes me feel it is the best choice to have both worlds rather than compromise on a high performance, tall riding 5000lb SUV.

If I was looking for a faster vehicle, it would be the X5 M40i with the S58 engine. Yes, the German tech and performance is better than Lexus. But that's not what our priorities are, nor do we want to fuel up with premium for the straight 6 turbos. We prefer comfortable seats over sport bolstered F or M seats. We want quiet over popping exhaust sounds. So Lexus checks my boxes, as I'm the certain category of buyer separate from others.

Last edited by SolidG1; 11-18-23 at 11:22 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SolidG1:
Allaboard (11-19-23), FMY421 (11-19-23), jahnjva (11-18-23), omar33 (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 11:23 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I would never recommend any vehicle to a friend or family member. What a great way to wreck a friendship or upset someone you love, if something doesn't go as well as it did for you.

I have had lots of great cars and lots not so good. I can give my experiences, and my objective opinion, but that's as far as I would go.

Many years ago I sold my friend a safety checked car that was ok. It ran well, but it's best days were behind it....$700.00 that's all he and his wife could afford. Fine, take it.

Two years and 25K miles later, it needed brakes and he was quoted some crazy amount. His wife tied into me for selling them such a piece of garbage... it ruined our relationship.

Recommend a vehicle to someone... never going to happen here.
Old 11-18-23, 12:55 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidG1
My RX350h is exactly what we wanted so I would definitely recommend it. It is quiet, comfortable, soft, has more room over the NX, reliable, and great on fuel. The 4 cycl is a bit noisy on cold, but once it warms up and with smooth throttle inputs it stays on electric and doesn't come on. The X5 is $20g more with the same comfort packages so for the starting price of X5 territory you can get a fully loaded RX.

As a family car, we don't need a high performance vehicle so we didnt consider a 500h which is $10g more. (If you can even call the 4-cycl 500h a high performance vehicle.) We've got 2 small children in the back most of the time so we're not doing quick launches or hard cornering. I have the GSF for that. Driving the RX for a week feels like I'm on a hospital bed with an IV on my arm. I feel nothing and everything is comfortable and isolated. Jump back into my GSF and immediately I feel more engaged. The direct steering feel, the lowered suspension, V8 rumble, analog controls, makes me feel it is the best choice to have both worlds rather than compromise on a high performance, tall riding 5000lb SUV.

If I was looking for a faster vehicle, it would be the X5 M40i with the S58 engine. Yes, the German tech and performance is better than Lexus. But that's not what our priorities are, nor do we want to fuel up with premium for the straight 6 turbos. We prefer comfortable seats over sport bolstered F or M seats. We want quiet over popping exhaust sounds. So Lexus checks my boxes, as I'm the certain category of buyer separate from others.
You will like your choice even more after looking at Consumer Reports. 13 more mpg. Lexus least expensive gas luxury auto to maintain BMW second most expensive to maintain. Lexus #1 in reliability BMW #14.

Last edited by Freds430; 11-18-23 at 01:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
SolidG1 (11-19-23), WellsB (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 02:26 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Other than taking additional time to fill the tank, my 350h has operated without flaw. I would definitely recommend.
The following users liked this post:
Bentru (11-18-23)
Old 11-19-23, 08:45 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No 4 Cylinder Turbo for me, period!
autotech13 (11-20-23)
Old 11-19-23, 09:16 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by chas410
Off to the Mazda CX-70 or 90 then I guess.
Old 11-19-23, 09:30 AM
Mchurch52
10th Gear

We’ve been very happy with our Premium + AWD. It is smooth, quiet, reasonably fuel efficient and comfortable. Sure, some things could’ve been done better such as having to use the HUD to navigate the menus for cruise control, phone etc, but all in all it delivers exactly on the reasons why we bought it in the first place.
Old 11-19-23, 10:21 AM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Im getting a bit bored with my 500H after 8 months and 18K miles. I normally get bored with cars in 2 years.

Went to go look at trading it in and the value of this thing PLUMMETED 20K. MSRP was 72K and the highest dealer offer I could get was 53K.

Dealers are selling lightly used 500H's with less than 5K miles for 62K with MSRP of 72K. That means they paid around 55-58K trade in for low mileage variants.

Buying this car new was a mistake. I thought lexus RX models held their value well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vanguard:
anoop (11-23-23), autotech13 (11-20-23)
Old 11-21-23, 05:10 PM
ddimick
7th Gear

Originally Posted by chas410
I think I understand what you mean, but you might be surprised if you drove it. The hybrid setup eliminates turbo lag.
StefanoS (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 05:19 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ddimick
I think I understand what you mean, but you might be surprised if you drove it. The hybrid setup eliminates turbo lag.
I concur. My RX 450h+ is surprisingly very gutsy for a little 2.5L 4 cylinder. I have zero interest in any turbo 4 cylinder setup.
Old 11-23-23, 11:57 AM
HeyThere
Rookie

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

I find it odd that people who purchased the RX for what it is complain about what it's not.

The engine noise things silly. When you floor most cars, it makes noise. How often do you floor it?

It's not a performance vehicle. Duh. But it has plenty of power. You bought the Lexus because you didn't want the unreliability and expense of German manufactured. There's a reason those are so cheap once the warranty expires.

The infotainment system can be a little clunky at first but fine once you figure it out. Lexus should provide videos on how to use all the features the way they were designed.

The Mark Levinson system is awesome. Sure the snobs will disagree, but that's what they do.

Love the 21' wheels.

It's an incredibly comfortable vehicle to drive with great gas mileage. it will be reliable and low maintenance. And that's what's important to me.

There is no perfect vehicle. But for me personally, this is as close as I'll get.

I'm happy
The following 7 users liked this post by HeyThere:
budwom (11-24-23), DenverJoe (11-28-23), jahnjva (11-23-23), legends92 (11-23-23), StefanoS (11-23-23), toyotaman7 (11-23-23), WellsB (11-23-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-23-23, 12:20 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyThere
I find it odd that people who purchased the RX for what it is complain about what it's not.

The engine noise things silly. When you floor most cars, it makes noise. How often do you floor it?

It's not a performance vehicle. Duh. But it has plenty of power. You bought the Lexus because you didn't want the unreliability and expense of German manufactured. There's a reason those are so cheap once the warranty expires.

The infotainment system can be a little clunky at first but fine once you figure it out. Lexus should provide videos on how to use all the features the way they were designed.

The Mark Levinson system is awesome. Sure the snobs will disagree, but that's what they do.

Love the 21' wheels.

It's an incredibly comfortable vehicle to drive with great gas mileage. it will be reliable and low maintenance. And that's what's important to me.

There is no perfect vehicle. But for me personally, this is as close as I'll get.

I'm happy
I could not agree more.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
Freds430 (11-23-23), WellsB (11-23-23)

Quick Reply: Would you recommend the RX to your friends/family?