RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2024 Lexus RX vs. 2024 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 03:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
They are completely different vehicles built by two manufacturers with completely different focuses. The RX can't keep up with the acceleration of the BMW and the BMW can't keep with with the low maintenance cost, low depreciation and dependability of the RX. Could care less how a SUV handles and accelerates at the very bottom of my priorities.
Well said and summarized in a nutshell!!
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Freds430 (12-27-23), WellsB (01-01-24)
Old 12-28-23, 03:49 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Prior to my current Lexus, I got an Audi - after researching actual statistical data that of all the german/european brands, Audi is the best you could get in terms of dependability/reliability. I really wanted the driving dynamics, but balanced with some level of dependability. I did not even test drive a BMW, so that I don't get drawn into their pull and regret long term. That was 9 years ago. I'm done with Audi after being stranded twice without warning due to a failed fuel-pump that Audi's forums show lots and lots of folks are having without any warning in my impeccably maintained < 53 K miles car - and Audi doing absolutely nothing about it (i.e. its not even a one-off issue with my car) - they probably need a class action. So here I am, with a Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 05:58 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Prior to my current Lexus, I got an Audi - after researching actual statistical data that of all the german/european brands, Audi is the best you could get in terms of dependability/reliability. I really wanted the driving dynamics, but balanced with some level of dependability. I did not even test drive a BMW, so that I don't get drawn into their pull and regret long term. That was 9 years ago. I'm done with Audi after being stranded twice without warning due to a failed fuel-pump that Audi's forums show lots and lots of folks are having without any warning in my impeccably maintained < 53 K miles car - and Audi doing absolutely nothing about it (i.e. its not even a one-off issue with my car) - they probably need a class action. So here I am, with a Lexus.
Had one Audi and never again. Not good when you know the Service Manager by first name. Fuel pump replaced starter, master cylinder, fuel injectors under 50,000 miles.
Old 12-28-23, 06:36 PM
Vanguard
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
They might be close in price point, but they cater to different audience.

BMW is sporty and fun to drive, higher total cost of ownership.

RX is meant to be smooth, softer and more reliable, hence lower total cost of ownership.

I personally think anyone that likes and prefers the drive of a BMW WILL be disappointed with any Lexus.
I disagree. The 500H is 100% intended to go after the german midsize SUVs with the base engine models in each- X5, Q7, GLE.

Heck, the GLE 350 is now a 4cyl turbo with 255 hp and the Audi Q7 base engine is also a 4cyl turbo with 261 hp.

The 500H goes directly at these and actually outperforms them. The Base X5 is the only one that will best it.
Old 12-30-23, 04:47 AM
JG132
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX 350 vs X5

I have been a loyal Lexus/Toyota owner for many years. Sequoia, LS 430, LS 460 and ES 350 and a consumer report subscriber. We were on the wait list for a 2023 RX 350h for over 5 months. This was for a vehicle that wasn't the color or have all the options we wanted but to order one would take 6 months or more and Lexus was not taking orders.. During this time we saw the ratings and reliability of the BMW X5 in consumers. We decided to look at the 2024 BMW X5 @ our local dealer in Jacksonville Fla. and after the test drive we were impressed. The sales rep said we could build a vehicle with only the options we wanted and the get it in 3 to 4 weeks. I wasn't sure the sales rep was serious or not but we ordered the vehicle and if we didn't like it we didn't have to purchase it. To our amazement the vehicle was built arrived in 24 days exactly as we ordered. From the Rx 350h we tested this X5 is superior in ride, handling and craftsmanship. We are very happy with our purchase.
autotech13 (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 05:21 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by JG132
I have been a loyal Lexus/Toyota owner for many years. Sequoia, LS 430, LS 460 and ES 350 and a consumer report subscriber. We were on the wait list for a 2023 RX 350h for over 5 months. This was for a vehicle that wasn't the color or have all the options we wanted but to order one would take 6 months or more and Lexus was not taking orders.. During this time we saw the ratings and reliability of the BMW X5 in consumers. We decided to look at the 2024 BMW X5 @ our local dealer in Jacksonville Fla. and after the test drive we were impressed. The sales rep said we could build a vehicle with only the options we wanted and the get it in 3 to 4 weeks. I wasn't sure the sales rep was serious or not but we ordered the vehicle and if we didn't like it we didn't have to purchase it. To our amazement the vehicle was built arrived in 24 days exactly as we ordered. From the Rx 350h we tested this X5 is superior in ride, handling and craftsmanship. We are very happy with our purchase.
I believe most of those are made in South Carolina which perhaps makes ordering what you want easier. Very nice cars, and despite the excellent Consumer Report rating (which I value) I know how much BMW servicing can cost, and that deterred us. But an X5 was a finalist for our previous purchases.
autotech13 (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 07:38 AM
JG132
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX 350 vs BMW X5

You are correct maintenance will probably be more expensive with the X5 but at this point in life we are just going to enjoy the ride.
Old 12-30-23, 10:35 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

The Audi I custom-ordered had exactly the same benefits - it had exactly the options I wanted and I enjoyed the ride. I wouldn’t also perhaps be that much antagonized by its maintenance cost - if it were not for the lack of dependability, reliability and complete lack of customer focus in a non-monetary sense.

I got stranded twice with no warning from the car health system, twice (from a systemic fuel pump problem Audi won’t acknowledge) when my father was facing a health emergency and I absolutely depended on the car at 52 K miles and fully maintained. That car had also failing haldex awd system, water pump, battery under warranty and engine oil leak (under warranty only because of California law) - costing probably more than 25 % of its initial purchase price. Add the rental car charges once the car is out of warranty (I had purchased the extended warranty)

The only way to drive a German car to me is lease it and return it under warranty - a use and throw model, not an ownership model

Last edited by wrinkle; 12-30-23 at 05:49 PM. Reason: grammar correction
The following 3 users liked this post by wrinkle:
Bentru (12-30-23), Freds430 (12-30-23), oneround (12-30-23)
Old 12-31-23, 05:53 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

The only way to drive a German car to me is lease it and return it under warranty - a use and throw model, not an ownership model
I don’t understand this fascination with leasing, unless you can write it off. You can buy a car and still trade it in before the warranty expires. If you like the car, you keep it and still have the super low interest rate that you had when you bought the car. As opposed to having to buy it after 2or 3 years and pay the much higher interest rate. Unless it’s all about the lower payments.
Old 12-31-23, 06:01 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
I don’t understand this fascination with leasing, unless you can write it off. You can buy a car and still trade it in before the warranty expires. If you like the car, you keep it and still have the super low interest rate that you had when you bought the car. As opposed to having to buy it after 2or 3 years and pay the much higher interest rate. Unless it’s all about the lower payments.
You are missing the point. The discussion was about the wisdom of "owning" a german car, with respect to reliability/dependability and/or cost of ownership (which, long term doesn't make any sense for me, for german cars - but short term, within warranty may make sense). There is no fascination with leasing implicit in my comment. I have never leased a car.
Old 01-01-24, 08:37 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

You are missing the point. The discussion was about the wisdom of "owning" a german car, with respect to reliability/dependability and/or cost of ownership (which, long term doesn't make any sense for me, for german cars - but short term, within warranty may make sense). There is no fascination with leasing implicit in my comment. I have never leased a car.
From you.
“The only way to drive a German car to me is lease it and return it under warranty - a use and throw model, not an ownership model.”
Pardon me if I somehow misunderstood your statement of the only way to drive a German car was to lease it, to mean that you should lease a German car.

Old 01-02-24, 12:34 AM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

wanted an rx500h too much money, not giving good enough deals. Went to get one this last month they would only come off 3.5k, and low balled my trade.
BMW 12% off MSRP and 4k more trade in. I ended up with the X5. Lexus wouldn't even attempt to match the offer. So i walked...
GSF, and X5 not a bad combo. Lets not forget TOYOTA uses a BMW Motor.
Car drove great for what it is. Speed was good and stable. Some body roll but thats to be expected but overall loved the quality of the product just feel its over priced.
Old 01-31-24, 12:33 PM
rmpro20
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default X5 all day unless..................

Originally Posted by arepigsflying
First time poster and no, I'm not a troll let me first say. We've been a Toyota family for many years with a 4runner, Sienna, and Tundra. We're well aware of toyota's (and lexus) reliability which in our book is one of their best characteristics. We've been eyeing a new Lexus RX for awhile and were waiting for updated model even though we truly wish they had kept the V6. Anyway, now please hear me out...has anyone been keeping up with BMW's too? My wife (and a little bit of me too if I'm honest) have always admired BMW's for their looks, refinement, and they really do drive exceptionally well. I've always thought about the phrase..."like to drive a BMW but love to OWN a lexus" as BMW typically has not been reliable generally and a fair amount costlier to maintain. However, the last 5 years BMW seems to be doing much better especially among vehicles with the B58 engine. I'm specifically referencing Consumer Reports coverage of how the BMW brand was 3rd most reliable last year (lexus =1 and toyota =2) and when you look up the 2024 BMW X5 its overall score is now a 92 while the 2024 RX is 78 and the X5 reliability is now a score of 5 out of 5 while the RX is 4 of 5. We are so tempted by the BMW X5 but I'm finding it hard to get over all the horror stories I've heard over the years. I know this is a lexus forum, but are there any other level headed folks out there who've noticed this and what are your thoughts? Are pigs flying?
Here is my opinion based on my experience. We currently own a 2021 RX 350 that my wife drives and I was driving a 2020 NX 300 which I determined was too small for me. I cross shopped both the BMW X5 and the 2023 RX 350 F-Sport AWD. The 2024 BMW was priced at about $8k higher in price (which I negotiated down a bit). The lexus was around $65k and they would not budge off the price. Now, I drove both and with the RX now being a 4 cylinder turbo, I was a bit concerned. It performed ok but once I tested the 2024 X5, it was no comparison. I will tell you I look forward to driving the X5 every day - not so much with the Lexus. We love the lexus due to low service costs and will probably run for a while which is why we will probably keep the 2021 long term, but the 2024 BMW is an amazing vehicle. I have had it now for about 9 months without one issue. I will not pay a dime in service for 4 years or 50k miles. I am not that worried if we decide to keep it long term. I could always do an extended warranty If I choose to keep it after 4 years but with all the new tech coming out who knows. I feel very safe keeping the 2021 RX 10 plus years! I Love both cars but if I had to pick one to drive everyday, it is a no brainer!
The following 2 users liked this post by rmpro20:
FastFord (01-31-24), jaxn1010 (01-31-24)
Old 01-31-24, 01:13 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

"Look forward to driving the X5 everyday...not so much the Lexus"

I get it ! I like my Lexus for reliable, safe transportation, but that's about it.

Tough choice, but I bet you go with the BMW !
Old 01-31-24, 02:33 PM
Scientifix
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife had a 2018 X3 M40i and after warranty expired, issues slowly started creeping up. We decided to trade it in, and started seriously looking at the 2024 X5. X5 for sure drove nicely very comfortable but for the features we were looking for (premium, 360 camera plus driver assist) there were limited options, primarily because of the driving assistance package. Without the driving assistance package the X5 doesn't even have adaptive cruise control which is appalling for a 2024. Also as I have Tesla with autopilot and we know how much of a blessing that feature is for long distance. Anyways, so what it turned out was that a new X5 with those features was $75K. And in the New England area I could barely $3-4K off of MSRP. And for 75K MSRP the X5 wouldn't even come with leather! Plus my wife puts on a lot more miles for work and we will need to be shopping around again in about 4-5 years from now if we had bought the X5, given our experience with the X3

Then we test drove the RX 350 while at first it felt quite a bit under powered compared to the X3 M40i plus not as smooth under hard acceleration, my wife said she couldn't care less We got 10% off MSRP on a loaded 2024 Lexus RX350 Luxury and got it for under $60K which has lot more niceties - a) leather, b) ventilated front seats, c) heated, ventilated and power reclining rear seats which were all missing on the 70K X5. Comfort wise the X5 was comfortable but we felt the RX was even more comfortable, the RX has such a relaxed driving feel to it. The X5 handles better, but the X5 has its own share of body roll. I would think you can't help body roll if you want a comfortable tall vehicle. But if handling is the primary priority I wouldn't put an SUV in the shopping list to begin with.

If handling and engine performance are the most important thing then the X5 wins over the Lexus RX for sure. But if reliability, resale value and more importantly value for money are important then Lexus RX wins hands down. I think the inline 6 which our X3 M40i had and the X5 has is the strongest trait of the X5. But I feel that the price difference the X5 demands for that has become a bit too much, IMO. Plus my wife didn't care that much about that and so she is extremely happy with the RX

Last edited by Scientifix; 01-31-24 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus RX vs. 2024 BMW X5