RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2024 Lexus RX vs. 2024 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 02:59 PM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2024 Lexus RX vs. 2024 BMW X5

First time poster and no, I'm not a troll let me first say. We've been a Toyota family for many years with a 4runner, Sienna, and Tundra. We're well aware of toyota's (and lexus) reliability which in our book is one of their best characteristics. We've been eyeing a new Lexus RX for awhile and were waiting for updated model even though we truly wish they had kept the V6. Anyway, now please hear me out...has anyone been keeping up with BMW's too? My wife (and a little bit of me too if I'm honest) have always admired BMW's for their looks, refinement, and they really do drive exceptionally well. I've always thought about the phrase..."like to drive a BMW but love to OWN a lexus" as BMW typically has not been reliable generally and a fair amount costlier to maintain. However, the last 5 years BMW seems to be doing much better especially among vehicles with the B58 engine. I'm specifically referencing Consumer Reports coverage of how the BMW brand was 3rd most reliable last year (lexus =1 and toyota =2) and when you look up the 2024 BMW X5 its overall score is now a 92 while the 2024 RX is 78 and the X5 reliability is now a score of 5 out of 5 while the RX is 4 of 5. We are so tempted by the BMW X5 but I'm finding it hard to get over all the horror stories I've heard over the years. I know this is a lexus forum, but are there any other level headed folks out there who've noticed this and what are your thoughts? Are pigs flying?
Old 12-07-23, 03:14 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

I am on the waiting list for a RX350h and would not buy a gas version. So compared to the X5 higher rating, best in depreciation, lowest in maintenance cost of ICE manufacturers compared to the second most costly and Lexus #1 in dependability both by Consumer Reports and J D Power. Oh and less expensive. Now just my opinion the RX much better looking and extremely better mpg 23 mpg combined to 36 mpg.

Old 12-07-23, 03:27 PM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious if your screenshots are from last year maybe. see my screenshots. Nonetheless, if we stuck with the RX, i neglected to mention we too would only get the hybrid which isn't helping lexus' case because they are so hard to find. The whole custom order not being a thing anymore for lexus stinks. I get that BMW will be a little (hopefully only a little) more expensive to maintain but I just cant get over the 2024 scores...2023 were also very good. Again, I wonder if BMW have found something special in the X5 at least. And aesthetics are different for everyone....the RX is much improved but but I still like the classic look of the X5 slightly more in this case.

Last edited by arepigsflying; 12-07-23 at 03:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Luckyme1 (04-18-24)
Old 12-07-23, 03:30 PM
Blaza
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious to know why you’re on a wait list…are these not out yet?

Last edited by kitlz; 12-07-23 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-07-23, 03:30 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

How long do you plan to keep the car? Less than 5 years, you'll be fine with the X5 if you want that. The BMW is bigger and costs more money for a comparably equipped car. Make sure you like the seats. I had two 5 series (sedans) before flipping to the RX/Lexus brand this time around. The handling of their cars without the M sport package isn't anything to write home about, just because it says "BMW" - unless you equip with the sport package you aren't getting sporty handling out of any of them just because of the brand name, and the X5M is huge $$$s and doesn't really compare to anything in the RX lineup. In other words, don't expect your regular X5 to handle like an M car - it won't.
Old 12-07-23, 03:39 PM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

Great point. We typically do keep our vehicles for 10 years or so which is definitely a risk or at least was a risk with BMW, and yes, the X5 would be about 10 - 15k more perhaps. There are 3 independent shops nearby for when something does happen out of warranty. Definitely would not go M package but the regular x5 still drives very nicely and the cabin is crazy quiet. The run flats make me nervous though... Glad the x5 actually got a little more cushion suspension vs. sportier the last couple of years.
Old 12-07-23, 04:01 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree with the less than 5 years assessment of @lexusnyca .

If you really plan to keep either for ~10 years, then IMHO you can pretty much ignore Consumer Reports (and yes, I am a past & present subscriber). Don't know their current data collection methods, but the last time I was surveyed they only wanted data on cars less than 3 years old.

A better long-term reliability analysis by model can be found at a place like this one: https://www.dashboard-light.com/

I also found asking dealers how much it cost for a 10-year extended OEM repair warranty and maintenance plan to be fair cost/reliability indicators.

E3PO (12-08-23)
Old 12-07-23, 04:45 PM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

Thanks for the website you mentioned...very cool! It pretty much confirms some of what I was thinking....10 to 20 year average reliability / issues meter isn't great for the beamer, however, the last 5 years they are doing something different. Wish i had that crystal ball go out another 5 years from now....lexus was / is the king of reliability but my mid-life crisis is really trying to creep into this decision....
Old 12-07-23, 04:48 PM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

We would be on a wait list too and probably would not get the exact specs desired anyway. Lexus hybrid is highly desired like the toyota rav 4 hybrid is highly desired....
Old 12-07-23, 06:10 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had two BMWs, a 330i and an X3. Both had manual transmissions. Yes, they were sweet to drive, quick, and responsive. However, their poor quality of materials and manufacture were incredible. I won't list the numerous problems and failures, but NEVER AGAIN will I purchase one. NEVER!
chas410 (12-10-23)
Old 12-08-23, 04:19 AM
arepigsflying
10th Gear

Totally understand this sentiment, and mostly agreed...until recently. Just trying to figure out why the last few years the X5 (and a few other beamers) specifically is doing very well in the reviews by consumer reports.
The following 2 users liked this post by arepigsflying:
E3PO (12-08-23), gahami (02-16-24)
Old 12-08-23, 05:04 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

There have been some issues with the 500h and also with some trim pieces on the 23 RX. These would also figure into the ratings. The 350h has a proven drive train so if you plan on keeping your RX you would probably be $$$ ahead in the long run compared to the BMW.
Old 12-08-23, 05:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Again higher rating, lower maintenance, more reliable, lower cost, much better gas mileage and much better residual value. For me the proverbial NO BRAINER but everyone has different priorities.

Old 12-08-23, 05:23 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Long term reliability shows itself long term.

Sounds you have your eyes on the X5 and need someone to confirm.

Remember, you gotta love what you buy and drive if you spend this much money. Otherwise you'll regret it later. It might cost more up front and also long term, but will you enjoy driving a car you didn't like and only bought for perceived reliability?

I don't think you'll get the straight answer you want here. It's your decision based on what's more important to YOU.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
Bentru (12-11-23), oneround (12-08-23)
Old 12-08-23, 07:23 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I was struggling with exact same question - it's no secret that I'm not a fan of the RX350 we bought in July, but I think I've figured out a path forward. I'll probably sell my wife's Highlander privately, I'll lease an X5 xDrive40i, and my wife will be the primary driver of the Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2024 Lexus RX vs. 2024 BMW X5