RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Toyota dealer servicing Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 10:48 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by austin1983
Toyota dealer near my place said they can change oil and perform service on Lexus vehicle. They also said for Lexus they will use only Lexus recommended oil and parts. Is that safe to use that option once free service period expires? They also said it is cheaper than getting serviced at Lexus dealership.
Lexus and Toyota use same oils and filters. Same engines.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (12-17-23)
Old 12-21-23, 09:42 AM
fgina
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

go to toyota for oil changes. go to lexus for recalls. I never knew dealers don't use factory oil. don't want to think what quick lube places put into people's cars.

Last edited by fgina; 12-21-23 at 09:47 AM.
Carbuff2 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:49 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I have not been to my Toyota dealership yet. My Lexus dealer does a 3 egg ham and cheese omelet with toast and great coffee. I always look forward to my visit.
Nice! I get a free hot chocolate or coffee, would love the omelet to go with the drinks. Cheers
Old 12-23-23, 12:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
Nice! I get a free hot chocolate or coffee, would love the omelet to go with the drinks. Cheers
I suspect that I am really paying for that omelet after the 10k service but with the few miles I drive, service visits are few and far between. My biggest worry is having some tech mess up my vehicle which has operated without flaw. Finding good service techs is a challenge for any dealership.
CCGS (12-23-23)
Old 12-23-23, 04:32 AM
budwom
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I suspect that I am really paying for that omelet after the 10k service but with the few miles I drive, service visits are few and far between. My biggest worry is having some tech mess up my vehicle which has operated without flaw. Finding good service techs is a challenge for any dealership.
yeah, the guy at the service desk refers to the techs as if they are old experienced expert sages, when in fact when you peek in the back you find an awful lot of very young, not particularly experienced guys*...glad to have found a really smart independent guy who can do anything but recall work (and my 2013 RX has never required a recall nor a single true repair).

I had used one particular Toyota dealer where I had lots of success just getting a la carte work done, but the last time I went they invented $3000 worth of stuff that "needed to be done" all of which were BS...like a full tuneup not required for another 30k miles, four wheel alignment, broken shocks that were completely fine....I asked to talk to the technician who was about 20 years old and could not defend any of his findings...have heard from others that post pandemic they are heavily pushing unnecessary repairs, and I simply won't play that game. LIve and learn.
The following 2 users liked this post by budwom:
CCGS (12-23-23), ggebhardt (12-23-23)
Old 01-03-24, 02:17 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by austin1983
Toyota dealer near my place said they can change oil and perform service on Lexus vehicle. They also said for Lexus they will use only Lexus recommended oil and parts. Is that safe to use that option once free service period expires? They also said it is cheaper than getting serviced at Lexus dealership.
I've had my older Lexus' serviced at Toyota dealerships for years. Toyota techs are certified to work on Lexus vehicles, and the parts that go into a Toyota or Lexus product are made by Toyota, if serviced at a Toyo/Lexus dealer.
CCGS (01-03-24)
Old 01-04-24, 01:39 PM
budwom
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
I've had my older Lexus' serviced at Toyota dealerships for years. Toyota techs are certified to work on Lexus vehicles, and the parts that go into a Toyota or Lexus product are made by Toyota, if serviced at a Toyo/Lexus dealer.
Yeah, pretty much like a Highlander (or at least my previous one was).
Old 03-07-24, 10:38 AM
HeyThere
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default For service, Lexus or Toyota dealer?

When I took my Lexus in for its 10k service, It didn't feel good. The brakes occasionally made a grunt sound when on a hill and I removed my foot from the pedal. Thinking this was no big deal under warranty, the service guy told me they'd look at it but there could be a charge of their hourly rate. I didn't feel right. I felt like I was dealing with a salesman on commission.

Long story short, it wasn't a big deal and they made a big deal of not charging me. Weird.

I had Acura's years. There was a guy there who more than took care of me. He know works at the local Toyota dealer as the service manager. Thoughts on taking my RX there instead of the Lexus dealer?
Old 03-08-24, 06:08 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyThere
the service guy.................. I felt like I was dealing with a salesman on commission.
Service writers are paid on commission.
Old 03-08-24, 09:09 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
Service writers are paid on commission.
Sometimes, technicians are as well.

I've had wiper blade replacement recommended when I had changed them myself, only 3 weeks before.

The daughters have had $1500 work of work recommended when they brought their cars into dealers for recalls....Luckily I taught them to ask for a list and they would 'think about it'.
Old 03-08-24, 09:18 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 662 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Sometimes, technicians are as well.
Almost always technicians are paid by commission. Their commissions are normally called flag time. They're paid x number of hours for a job whether they do it in more or less hours. Sell something, more flag hours.
Old 03-08-24, 10:02 AM
budwom
Advanced

Just went to my smart, local guy (not a dealer) and my annual oil change* and 10k service came to a hundred bucks. So reasonable...cabin air filter, a few minor things. As we have discussed elsewhere, the basic service for a Lexus just isn't very expensive compared to other luxury vehicles...
* we drive fewer than 10k miles per year in this 2023 RX.
Old 03-16-24, 05:41 AM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

So I just talked to my Lexus dealer that is 100 miles away. The 15000 mile service is like $450 which obviously doesn’t include an oil change. So a glorified walk around for $450. My local Toyota dealer will do an oil change and tire rotation for $110. The oil change at the Toyota dealer includes a multi point inspection which appears to include everything required in the Lexus 15000 mile service except “tighten axle shaft bolt”.

Anybody know how big a deal this is (tighten axle shat bolt) and whether Toyota should be able to do this?
Old 03-16-24, 06:15 AM
kry226
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefty
So I just talked to my Lexus dealer that is 100 miles away. The 15000 mile service is like $450 which obviously doesn’t include an oil change. So a glorified walk around for $450. My local Toyota dealer will do an oil change and tire rotation for $110. The oil change at the Toyota dealer includes a multi point inspection which appears to include everything required in the Lexus 15000 mile service except “tighten axle shaft bolt”.

Anybody know how big a deal this is (tighten axle shat bolt) and whether Toyota should be able to do this?
IIRC, that was a maintenance item on our 2004 4Runner, so I'm sure the Toyota dealer can handle it. I don't think I ever touched that in the 12 years and 200k that I owned the truck and never had any issues either, but recommend you still have that maintenance item checked. Again, I'm sure Toyota can do it.
Old 03-16-24, 09:03 AM
budwom
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hefty

for years I used a local Lexus dealer and simply enumerated what needed to be done per the service book...did not use the ugly words "15k service," just listed what hade to be done. I kept good track of this. On average I paid 60% LESS than what Lexus charge, i.e. I paid 40% of the Lexus charge...as you say, many services are glorified oil changes. As for the shaft bolt, I just have them look at it, does not seem to be an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by budwom:
Carbuff2 (03-17-24), dklanecky1 (03-17-24)

Quick Reply: Toyota dealer servicing Lexus