RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Heavy rain shuts down cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 03:34 PM
mack24
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heavy rain shuts down cruise control

I was on a freeway yesterday in heavy rain and the cars and trucks were throwing up sheets of water when they hit puddles. Several times they hit windshield/grill area as I drove through them which made it very difficult to see. Three of those splashes caused the cruise control to immediately stop working including lane centering. I depend on lane centering to help me stay centered until the windshield starts to clear. The first time it happened it took me several seconds to realize the lane keeping was out. Luckily the system turned right back on when I pressed the button and the centering began immediately. I have never had this happen before so it was totally unexpected. I called my service writer and he said he had never heard of this happening on any Lexus. I would appreciate any feedback. I can’t believe I am the only one with this problem.

thanks for your help

Bruce
Old 12-27-23, 05:13 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Fo as long as I've been driving, no car manufacturer advises the use of cruise control in the rain. See page 306 of your Owners Manual.
The following 6 users liked this post by Klamalama:
BerthoudPa (12-27-23), Carfan94 (01-02-24), dklanecky1 (12-28-23), Eagleboy99 (12-28-23), Elvisfan (12-28-23), Urlik (12-27-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-27-23, 06:18 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

The constant speed can increase the chance that your tires will hydroplane and you could lose control of your vehicle. Only use your cruise control when the roadways are dry and clean, and never during rainy or icy conditions.
The following 3 users liked this post by KennyFSU:
Carfan94 (01-02-24), Eagleboy99 (12-28-23), Urlik (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 06:38 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Those splashes basically blinded the system. Thankfully the system shut down. Would you want a blind machine guessing where to steer you?
The following 3 users liked this post by jahnjva:
Carfan94 (01-02-24), dklanecky1 (12-28-23), Urlik (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 07:45 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

The system was working correctly for how it is designed to work and the conditions you were experiencing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Urlik:
Bentru (12-27-23), Carfan94 (01-02-24), CCGS (12-27-23)
Old 12-28-23, 10:53 AM
chipotleking
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After testing cruise control for a couple weeks, I found that it's more trouble than it's worth for my 30 minute highway commute to and from work. I found myself being super attentive and paranoid because I don't want the car to drift to another lane. Also, the cruise control doesn't take into account the position of cars in your left and right lanes. So there's a chance you could be driving in someone's blind spot for an extended period of time. I think cruise control would be useful if I were driving from norcal to socal, a trip that takes 6 hours with only 2 lanes on I5. But for my daily commute I don't think the benefits outweigh the negatives.
Old 12-28-23, 10:55 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by chipotleking
After testing cruise control for a couple weeks, I found that it's more trouble than it's worth for my 30 minute highway commute to and from work. I found myself being super attentive and paranoid because I don't want the car to drift to another lane. Also, the cruise control doesn't take into account the position of cars in your left and right lanes. So there's a chance you could be driving in someone's blind spot for an extended period of time. I think cruise control would be useful if I were driving from norcal to socal, a trip that takes 6 hours with only 2 lanes on I5. But for my daily commute I don't think the benefits outweigh the negatives.
To each his own. I've used in on the 40 mph feeder road into my housing development. (I have a tendency to drive too fast on that road)
Old 12-28-23, 04:46 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Cruise control on any car should NOT be used during rain, snow, fog or bad weather. The manual explicitly says that.

The system uses radar and a camera to see what is in front of it. Rain/snow will hinder that. Additionally, the system will apply accelerator and brake to the wheels with the assumption that they have full traction. If roads are slippery or hydroplaning, the system will cause the car to get out of control and could cause an accident.

I use the radar cruise control on my daily commute of 100 miles per day in dry conditions and love it. Its even better in traffic. The new Hands free Cruise that works under 25 MPH (40km/h) is good as well, just annoying that it cuts off at 40 km/h. That part is for sure half baked. Hopefully they send an update that increases that speed to 80 KM/h (50 MPH).....
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
Carfan94 (01-02-24), Elvisfan (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 05:06 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

If you are paying attention, you would know enough to speed up or slow down to move away from cars next to you. The only negative I know is the occasional time you find yourself going slower because the car in front is slower.
Old 12-29-23, 02:42 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
If you are paying attention, you would know enough to speed up or slow down to move away from cars next to you. The only negative I know is the occasional time you find yourself going slower because the car in front is slower.
Fortunately we get a choice between set speed cruise and adaptive cruise. If other vehicles slowing you down bothers you, you can use speed set cruise instead.
Old 12-29-23, 02:46 PM
chipotleking
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Yes speeding up is easy, but slowing down requires you to brake. When you brake, it exits the cruise control, so you would have to restart cruise control. All of this is a hassle in my opinion.
Old 12-29-23, 02:59 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes speeding up is easy, but slowing down requires you to brake. When you brake, it exits the cruise control, so you would have to restart cruise control. All of this is a hassle in my opinion.
Actually, you do not have to brake to slow down. Just decrease the set speed. When you have cleared the car next to you, increase the speed again. Even if you brake, it is usually not that hard to hit RESUME. I don’t know about the RX, I don’t have one. But I have never found hitting resume a hassle. I can do all that without having to actually move my foot.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (12-30-23)
Old 12-29-23, 05:48 PM
madmax24
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default System Shutdown Warning

Three times in the past month, I have received a message on the dash that says something similar to, "System Shutdown. Consult Owner's Manual." Does anyone know what this means? I couldn't find anything in the Owner's Manual.

All three times this warning appeared, I was using cruise control, distance following, auto lane keeper, auto headlights, HUD and wipers. The only thing I know for sure that shut down was cruise control. Other stuff may have shut off but, I didn't notice.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2023 RX 350
Nori Green w/Luxury Package
Old 12-29-23, 07:58 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Weather conditions making the radar following unusable maybe?
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 04:48 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Agree with the Urlik. Key statement was "using wipers".

You could make this occur less often if you apply wax to the Lexus symbol ("L") in the center of the grille. That way, dirt/rain/snow will tend to slide away and not incapacitate the safety systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
autotech13 (12-30-23), Urlik (12-30-23)

Quick Reply: Heavy rain shuts down cruise control