RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2024 RX 500h Rust on rotors(inner side)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 09:27 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhill
LSFT on the NX forum made a video on his year 2 service and discussed this with the service dept. Since the hybrids use regen braking, the real brakes are not used much so rust builds up on the brakes. Suggestion was to have the rust removed via service $$ or hard break more, not sure about that. I don’t think it should be a problem, but it would not hurt to ask your service dept. Here is the link to his thread and video.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ownership.html
The rust shown in OPs picture is not on the surface of the rotors that would contact the pads. Hard braking wouldn't remove it, and hybrid regeneration does not affect this, either.
Old 04-17-24, 12:12 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
The rust shown in OPs picture is not on the surface of the rotors that would contact the pads. Hard braking wouldn't remove it, and hybrid regeneration does not affect this, either.
This comment is correct. There no reason for concern regarding any rust on a brake rotor. Any minor rust found on the "business" area of a rotor (where it contacts the brake pad) will be burnished off the next time you drive the car. Rust found on other areas that are NOT part of the braking surface area are simply a fact of life and will not affect braking in any way whatsoever. It may look a little unsightly but, you can always switch to a dipped or anodized rotor when you need new ones. BUT....Given the hybrid regeneration process, this is very likely to be a long time in the future. The same goes for brake pads on any hybrid. You just don't do nearly the average amount of braking that one does on a conventional ICE vehicle. To me, this is just icing on the cake. No alternator or starter motor to replace, no drive belts to wear out. Time will tell with the electric water pumps, power steering pumps, A/C compressors and how long they will go before they cave in. Now, if we could only get this battery dark current drain issue solved!

Last edited by StefanoS; 04-18-24 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Markfm (04-17-24)
Old 04-22-24, 07:01 AM
nowlen
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I bet that a 350h or 450h+ uses a lot more regen than a 500h. Otherwise, why would they tout the big brakes they fitted?
Targeted Marketing to those who get the 500h. They need 'bigger'.
Old 04-22-24, 08:05 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nowlen
Targeted Marketing to those who get the 500h. They need 'bigger'.
Having driven both the RX350 and owning a RX500h I can confirm the 500h does have more substantial stopping force.

As a commuter, the 350 brakes are fine. But I can understand why Lexus would fit the bigger equipment on the 500h. It isn't just an ego stroke.
Old 04-22-24, 06:39 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
Having driven both the RX350 and owning a RX500h I can confirm the 500h does have more substantial stopping force.

As a commuter, the 350 brakes are fine. But I can understand why Lexus would fit the bigger equipment on the 500h. It isn't just an ego stroke.
Completely agree. 500h owner and had 350 as loaner while having Illuminated sills added etc....night and day between the brakes. More confident stopping power in the 500h and different tech if I read right...... car doesn't dip when "slamming" on brakes etc
Old 05-14-24, 06:37 PM
smm010
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX500h rust in inner side of wheels

Hi everyone,

I got my rx500h 7-8 months ago in SoCal. Now I see it has this rusty color inside of wheels, I am not sure if it is rust, but it looks bad. Car looks good outside, but when you come closer these wheels look like from an abandoned car. Have you experienced something like this with rx500? Is it common with the new rx500? Should I take it to lexus dealership for fix or can I use anything to remove it?

Old 05-14-24, 06:50 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

What happens when you wipe that rust looking area with your finger? Does it come off or does it look like actual rust on the inner part of the aluminum wheel?

Next question: how does aluminum rust?
The following users liked this post:
Measured (05-15-24)
Old 05-14-24, 07:59 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

Looks dirty to me.
Old 05-15-24, 03:24 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

Oops, Mods combined a wheel question thread with a brake rotor question thread.

Last edited by Urlik; 05-15-24 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-10-24, 04:42 PM
StickmanS
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Brake caliper rust

I would just try to take off the wheels and give them a good clean it looks like brake dust based on the picture.

Last edited by StickmanS; 06-16-24 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-13-24, 08:56 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Rusting Rear Calipers

I noticed today that the rear discs are rusting close to the hub. About 2.5 inches. Both sides. Fronts are fine Anyone else?
Old 06-16-24, 02:38 PM
StickmanS
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Brake caliper rust

Hi everyone I'm a new member to this forum and was searching through it to see if anyone has the same/ similar issue as me. I have a 2023 Lexus RX 350 f-sport and have noticed that both the rear brake calipers are starting to form some surface rust, they are not painted from factory compared to the 500h where it has painted front and rear black calipers as far as I'm aware. They are silver and almost look like exposed metal but I bet they coat it with something to prevent rust???? The rotors are fine and there is no issue but visually I can see this being a worse problem down the road since it is already starting a year after my purchase. I looked for a thread on this and didn't see one and wanted to reach out if anyone has some insight!

Nothing to do with this thread but am planning to have the air turbulence coming from the front end addressed at a Lexus dealer soon so wanted to talk to them about the brake calipers and seeing if they would paint them for me or somehow address the issue, will probably go to sterling McCall in Texas for all these questions/issues since that is the closest dealer to me at the moment. I also have noticed a slight bent bracket on the left side where the liftgate bump stop is attached too, compared to the right side and even the left liftgate bump stop seems to be more cracked due to the bent bracket. If this is too much I can start a new thread with separate issues and edit this post, will post pictures if needed! Thank you in advance!
Old 06-16-24, 06:54 PM
estim8tr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have noticed the same strange rusting on my rear rotors as you have described, in addition to my wheel balancing weights which are also rusting. Anyone else noticed if their wheel balancing weights are rusting? First time I have experienced this on any of the previous vehicles I have owned.

Add to the above a protruding fuel door, separation of the microsuede insert across the front of the dash, Lexus multimedia interface remote connectivity issues, inconsistent body panel gaps, a few dust nibs embedded in paint/ clear coat and it has become evident that Lexus has started cutting corners on fit/ finish as well as incorporating inferior quality materials.

Would be great to know if they do anything about your rotors, although I suspect they will say it’s due to normal wear an tear/ environmental conditions…
Old 06-16-24, 07:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Not only a Lexus thing I see a bunch of new cars with rusting rotors and calipers they are not bothering with any kind of coating. Next time you need brakes put on some coated rotors, for calipers that's more of a pain and expense.

Wheel weights must not be pure lead anymore.
Old 06-17-24, 04:39 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

never seen wheel weights rust, Im 76.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barncobob:
autotech13 (06-17-24), Urlik (06-17-24)

Quick Reply: 2024 RX 500h Rust on rotors(inner side)