RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Cabin Filter change on 10K service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 11:18 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Cabin Filter change on 10K service?

Does anyone know if Lexus replaces the cabin filter as part of the 10K service? What about wiper blades?
Old 03-08-24, 11:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Does anyone know if Lexus replaces the cabin filter as part of the 10K service? What about wiper blades?
Neither is my guess. Cabin filter is a four minute job. Filter is about $10. Blades should still be fine at that point.
Old 03-08-24, 11:39 AM
menphix
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just did my free 10k service at the dealership, there is one line in the records that says:
REPLACED CABIN FILTER (SOME MODELS)
I haven't personally verified it's been replaced, but looks like it is?
Old 03-08-24, 12:49 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

I just did my 10k service today and yes, it included a cabin air filter ($31 from my non dealer mechanic). Not a bad idea where we live, lots of dirt roads and tree pollen in the Spring..
The following users liked this post:
jahnjva (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 12:50 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

From the RX350 manual:
The service is performed at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. To obtain this service, contact your Lexus dealership.
Your complimentary service will include these items:
• Add injector cleaner to the fuel tank (Hawaii only)
• Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter*
Replace cabin air filter
• Reset oil maintenance reminder if oil was changed
• Reset scheduled maintenance reminder
• Rotate tires
• Inspect brake drums, pads and discs
Inspect wiper blades
• Check installation of driver’s floor mat
• Road test vehicle
The following 2 users liked this post by Urlik:
CCGS (03-11-24), jahnjva (03-08-24)
Old 03-08-24, 03:33 PM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

We performed the complimentary 10K service at one year (actually 8200 miles traveled) and YES, they change the cabin filter.

Even though they said they did, THEY DIDN'T! The filter had springtime tree seeds in several of the pleats, as well as other debris. Of course, I confronted the dealer regards this, as by saying the filter was replaced, it would need to last another 10,000 miles before they would do it again.
So the dealer replaced the filter, but put the new one in all bunched up on one side, and UPSIDE-DOWN. Oh brother.
CCGS (03-11-24)
Old 03-08-24, 04:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
We performed the complimentary 10K service at one year (actually 8200 miles traveled) and YES, they change the cabin filter.

Even though they said they did, THEY DIDN'T! The filter had springtime tree seeds in several of the pleats, as well as other debris. Of course, I confronted the dealer regards this, as by saying the filter was replaced, it would need to last another 10,000 miles before they would do it again.
So the dealer replaced the filter, but put the new one in all bunched up on one side, and UPSIDE-DOWN. Oh brother.
Are you sure it's upside down? The filter box has an UP arrow indicating the position the box goes back in. The air flow direction on the other hand is usually arrow DOWN. Many get confused by this including me the first few times i changed it on our 17.
Old 03-08-24, 04:52 PM
KennyE
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
From the RX350 manual:
The service is performed at 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. To obtain this service, contact your Lexus dealership.
Your complimentary service will include these items:
• Add injector cleaner to the fuel tank (Hawaii only)
• Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter*
Replace cabin air filter
• Reset oil maintenance reminder if oil was changed
• Reset scheduled maintenance reminder
• Rotate tires
• Inspect brake drums, pads and discs
Inspect wiper blades
• Check installation of driver’s floor mat
• Road test vehicle
Really? That's in the 10k service? I'm so glad they're going to check the floor mats for me. Because, ya know, we might not see it's moving. I guess they have to show they're doing something other than an oil change. Cabin filter might be nice, tho'. Dusty roads here.
CCGS (03-11-24)
Old 03-08-24, 05:34 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyE
Really? That's in the 10k service? I'm so glad they're going to check the floor mats for me. Because, ya know, we might not see it's moving. I guess they have to show they're doing something other than an oil change. Cabin filter might be nice, tho'. Dusty roads here.
Toyota had a bunch of problems with floor mats sliding up and getting stuck on the gas pedal. There were actual crashes because of it.
Old 03-08-24, 05:38 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 614 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyE
That’s a hold over from the unintended acceleration days when the floor mat would jam the accelerator pedal. You’d be amazed at the number of idiots that will put a mat on a mat.
Carbuff2 (03-09-24)
Old 03-08-24, 07:52 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

The manual says: The “ UP” marks shown on the filter
and the filter case should be pointing up.
Carbuff2 (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 04:15 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Anything listed as replace in the manual is covered. If it’s inspect or clean then not.

For future reference I’d recommend cross referencing the part to the Toyota one. You’ll save quite a bit. Filters are cheap. Change them frequently. Especially the engine air filter if you have a turbo. There’s a lot of air flowing through the tiny filter.
Old 03-09-24, 04:40 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
That’s a hold over from the unintended acceleration days when the floor mat would jam the accelerator pedal. You’d be amazed at the number of idiots that will put a mat on a mat.
I have no strong opinion, but a lot of people thought the floor mats were scapegoats for a software issue. Whatever...I'm just happy that my first 10k service was inexpensive by current auto standards.
autotech13 (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 06:04 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Are you sure it's upside down? The filter box has an UP arrow indicating the position the box goes back in. The air flow direction on the other hand is usually arrow DOWN. Many get confused by this including me the first few times i changed it on our 17.
Yes, I was aware of the OEMs position marking VS aftermarket airflow direction marking (thanks to The Car Care Nut, and also the original fitment). One would think that a DEALER TECH would be aware of the proper way to install the cabin filter, since they change them routinely.

Anything listed as replace in the manual is covered.
But, if an item is recorded as being replaced, but it is not, it won't be done at a future service until the next specified interval;...so that would have been DOUBLE the suggested interval. If the dealer invoice had said "Inspected, OK" that is different.
Makes you wonder if Lexus paid them for the included parts if they said it was done?

Old 03-09-24, 06:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jahnjva
The manual says: The “ UP” marks shown on the filter
and the filter case should be pointing up.
Perhaps only for the oem filter. Many after market ones have the arrow indicating air flow direction.
Carbuff2 (03-10-24)

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter change on 10K service?