RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 08:37 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
What is meant my the amplifier there ? Music system ? Does that mean disabling audio when parking might be the solution ?

If you have the original link of the post from 2019, please do share that
Sorry, was not able to figure out how to link earlier...managed it now...here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post10639121

He never did report back after, which might mean that fixed it.

This was his last post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post10641893

The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 10:29 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

I wouldn't spend money on an Odyssey battery at this time. I feel that it probably wouldn't do any any better than the OEM battery due to the fact that the current charging algorithm does not keep the battery fully charged.
The following 2 users liked this post by WellsB:
StefanoS (04-09-24), Urlik (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 12:04 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

It seems this battery issue is more prevalent with the plug in hybrid versions. (NX450h+ and RX450h+). The 350h seems a distant 2nd and not so much with the 350 gas.
Old 04-09-24, 01:07 PM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
not so much with the 350 gas.
Has anyone at all reported this problem who didn't have hybrid or plug in?
Old 04-09-24, 02:19 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Grudo
Yes, see post by husky1055 at #29- talks about adjusting alternator and mentions 350 - so definitely not hybrid/plugin
Old 04-09-24, 02:21 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

It seems this battery issue is more prevalent with the plug in hybrid versions. (NX450h+ and RX450h+). The 350h seems a distant 2nd and not so much with the 350 gas.
The problem could also be that the PHEVs are more loaded with electronics/sensors than the gas versions or even hybrids. That's how Lexus chooses to sell them - possibly making their 12 V charging/battery design problem worse in the hybrids/plugins. And we now know of full electrics having the same problem.
Old 04-09-24, 02:58 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
I wouldn't spend money on an Odyssey battery at this time. I feel that it probably wouldn't do any any better than the OEM battery due to the fact that the current charging algorithm does not keep the battery fully charged.
I'm not but, it is on the back burner. It may be a better choice in the future when the current battery croaks. There is a dark current draw of some sort going on in the Lexus PHEV's and the Lexus RZ BEV models and I hope that we can get this sorted out. In the meantime, I will continue to charge the 12v on a periodic basis. I put both of mine on trickle chargers on the weekend. On Monday, I installed the same two battery monitors used by SMartin. Both 12v's were fully charged as of Sunday night. Today, when I left to run some errands, the 12v battery on my RX450h+ battery monitor read 58%. I drove about a total of 16 miles, all in EV mode, and when I returned, the monitor read 99%. I am curious as to what the state of charge will be tomorrow AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
CCGS (04-10-24), wrinkle (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 04:35 PM
Grudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Yes, see post by husky1055 at #29- talks about adjusting alternator and mentions 350 - so definitely not hybrid/plugin
Eh, they could have just left out the 'h', furthermore they never actually reported that they were experiencing the problem. Maybe someone will chime in, I'm happy to be wrong.
Old 04-09-24, 04:36 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I'm not but, it is on the back burner. It may be a better choice in the future when the current battery croaks. There is a dark current draw of some sort going on in the Lexus PHEV's and the Lexus RZ BEV models and I hope that we can get this sorted out. In the meantime, I will continue to charge the 12v on a periodic basis. I put both of mine on trickle chargers on the weekend. On Monday, I installed the same two battery monitors used by SMartin. Both 12v's were fully charged as of Sunday night. Today, when I left to run some errands, the 12v battery on my RX450h+ battery monitor read 58%. I drove about a total of 16 miles, all in EV mode, and when I returned, the monitor read 99%. I am curious as to what the state of charge will be tomorrow AM.
Good points StefanoS - I'm in the same situation, as I also want to not allow Lexus create trouble with the warranty if I install the AGM, so would appreciate any thoughts in that regard from everyone (i.e. would AGM battery be cited as a cause for not honoring warranty later, and also there would need to be some resetting of the computer necessary to register a new/AGM battery - so what's the best place to do all that ?). At the end of the day, I don't want to have to think about reliability issues, which is why I bought a Lexus to begin with

I'm also a bit suspicious if my battery is not holding charge (not just parasitic drain ?), as I've now measured resting voltages of 12.1 Volts in the morning after having driven the car for 30+ miles the previous day. However, I have not observed any trouble-codes in my Bluedriver-scan of the OBDII or seen voltage lower than 12 V - which is why I suspect that if I take it to a dealer they will say they didn't find any problems and will waste my time.
CCGS (04-10-24)
Old 04-09-24, 05:09 PM
pcm888usa
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dead Rx450H+

Lexus is following the progress of my car. Since I got it on March 14, it spent more time in the dealer than in my garage. 3 visits 2 about dead locked up requiring roadside service. No word of what dealer found but Lexus on monitoring.
Old 04-09-24, 06:44 PM
sailormike
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had my battery replaced in my 350 non-hybrid. Did no go completely dead but I believe it was not far from it. See post #41 in this thread.
Old 04-09-24, 07:32 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

I have one of those portable chargers. The alligator connectors are are only long enough to connect to a standard battery which is in the back of the car. I would have to jump start from the fuse box and the negative metal charging point several feet from the fuse box positive connection point. Does anyone see a problem using 1 wire of a standard jumper cable to bridge the connection from the negative of the charger wire to the metal charging point?
Old 04-09-24, 07:34 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I have one of those portable chargers. The alligator connectors are are only long enough to connect to a standard battery which is in the back of the car. I would have to jump start from the fuse box and the negative metal charging point several feet from the fuse box positive connection point. Does anyone see a problem using 1 wire of a standard jumper cable to bridge the connection from the negative of the charger wire to the metal charging point?
I had to do exactly that (twice) and did not have any problem. Just have to be careful to not cause any shorts with dangling wires/clips.
jahnjva (04-09-24)
Old 04-09-24, 07:40 PM
jdct
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Friends,
I have a 2023 RX350 Premium, wife's car so low weekly mileage. So far no battery issues, but this thread encouraged me to check and the resting voltage was below 12v. Charged battery and all good but I suspect that it would be smart to keep an eye on the battery voltage. I have a multimeter, but the easiest solution was to get a cheap Amazon cigar lighter voltage meter to alert me when to charge. Solution is working well and I wanted to share with all of you.
Jim H

Last edited by jdct; 04-09-24 at 07:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jdct:
CCGS (04-10-24), enduro963 (06-05-24), Markfm (04-10-24)
Old 04-09-24, 10:42 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pcm888usa
I want to join in the rX 450h+ dead battery club. Mine is barely 1 month old and had two events of locked up dead in garage. Temperature is not a factor as I am in SoCal. First back to dealer came home with a new battery. A week later, dead and locked up again. Car is now in dealer waiting for diagnostic. One more dead event will trigger Lemon Law and this piece should go back to Lexus. I am reading all kinds of remedies such as jumper cable, portable jumper pack. Why do we have to do that. What is Lexus doing about this non-isolated problem?
Please let us know what the dealer finds out and ask to have it escalated to Lexus mothership's engineering, since its quite widespread at this point. Now at least 2 of you have this happening in brand new vehicle - while others like me have had the problem start in 2-5 months. The brand new ones, especially if triggering lemon law, should get Lexus mothership's attention - for a stupid problem they shouldn't have had (given they can design a time-tested hybrid drive-train system, its quite pathetic they can't properly design a 12 V battery charging system).

Quick Reply: Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)