RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 07:19 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Imolared
I disagree, my previous 2021 X5 45E PHEV sat in the garage for weeks and sometimes over a month without being driven and never once I had to jump it. It had the same app and digital/proximity sensors/features as the RX450h+ (maybe even more, I love that I can unlock and drive that car just using my Apple Watch).

This is just **** poor battery management system that Lexus has.
I agree. Lexus is making me quite regret not even considering a BMW PHEV. Given how the latter's reputation for reliability has risen in the Consumer Reports reviews - in hindsight, I shouldn't have so ignored the NX450h+ sightings of this ridiculous 12 V battery management design in this forum, which I then considered something as only affecting folks in very cold climate. The primary non-negotiable reason I chose Lexus was reliability.

If a bigger sized battery or Lexus firmware update doesn't fix this, I may not choose to stay with Lexus long-term.
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (04-17-24)
Old 04-16-24, 07:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

If this was my vehicle I'd something like this
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-16-24, 07:38 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If this was my vehicle I'd something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCW49YM/
It doesn't fix the problem - and wastes my money and time, as far as I'm concerned. So I'll pass being a "Lexus Champion"
autotech13 (04-17-24)
Old 04-17-24, 04:46 AM
RBach
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcm888usa
Mine 450h+ has been sitting in the dealership for 12 days. New battery did not do the trick. Today they declared they found the source of battery drain. It is a DCM that is bad. They replaced it. I have not gotten the car back yet but you may want to share this with your dealer. Since we are not the only unfortunate ones who had this kind of issue. My car is 1 month old. I am ready to turn it back to Lexus.
Thank you very much for sharing what the dealer service dept told you, about changing a DCM. I truly hope that resolves it.

Yes, I sure will pass along that you had the same issue(s), and that is what they found. Fingers crossed this builds the Lexus engineering database, to create a quicker solution for those to come. Then on vehicles in production, changes the process to prevent from recurring for others.

Blessings

Rich
Old 04-17-24, 06:36 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RBach
Thank you very much for sharing what the dealer service dept told you, about changing a DCM. I truly hope that resolves it.

Yes, I sure will pass along that you had the same issue(s), and that is what they found. Fingers crossed this builds the Lexus engineering database, to create a quicker solution for those to come. Then on vehicles in production, changes the process to prevent from recurring for others.

Blessings

Rich
This gets back to the extensive tests that were done on your car. Find out from them what the cumulative parasitic draw that they measured and what does Lexus deem as normal draw. Not sure if you have done this but you can put an ammeter in series with the battery and see the spikes that happen quite often by the DCM transmitting. Just make sure your key is far away and put scale on 20A for initial spike and then reduce to ma scale. Mine jumps from 75 to around 200ma. If all seems to be in normal range then the battery is probably weak even if it checks ok but I think you have said the battery has already been changed. There will most likely be a software update to address the issue and no one knows they are working on the fix until it happens. Knowing what the draw was during there tests is important and not just the voltage drop.
Old 04-17-24, 06:41 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
This gets back to the extensive tests that were done on your car. Find out from them what the cumulative parasitic draw that they measured and what does Lexus deem as normal draw. Not sure if you have done this but you can put an ammeter in series with the battery and see the spikes that happen quite often by the DCM transmitting. Just make sure your key is far away and put scale on 20A for initial spike and then reduce to ma scale. Mine jumps from 75 to around 200ma. If all seems to be in normal range then the battery is probably weak even if it checks ok but I think you have said the battery has already been changed. There will most likely be a software update to address the issue and no one knows they are working on the fix until it happens. Knowing what the draw was during there tests is important and not just the voltage drop.
I'd be curious to hear what the official threshold for vampire drain is from Lexus... But 75mA already sounds too high. I think other manufacturers specify upper limits around 50mA and actual drain is often much lower -- 10-15mA.
Old 04-17-24, 12:56 PM
RPerez13
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tecdivingaccountant
I got one made by NOCO. 1,000 Amp seem more than enough to jump a 2.4 liter engine.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015TKUPIC?...roduct_details
Did you have to purchase an extension cable to connect to the Neg Terminal in the hood (not back of car)?
Old 04-17-24, 02:02 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I measured the resting voltage 4 days after my 40 A-h nanny charge to the battery - its at 11.99 Volts.

I'm thinking I will let the battery die again and then haul the car to Lexus dealer and ask for a replacement battery. And ask for the vigorous document, of course. If that's the game Lexus would like to play, so be it.
Old 04-17-24, 03:35 PM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrinkle
I measured the resting voltage 4 days after my 40 A-h nanny charge to the battery - its at 11.99 Volts.

I'm thinking I will let the battery die again and then haul the car to Lexus dealer and ask for a replacement battery. And ask for the vigorous document, of course. If that's the game Lexus would like to play, so be it.
So full charge and after sitting not driven and 4 days at 11.99V. At that rate doesn't sound like it would last a week. These cars are in such short supply that you couldn't even test one on the lot because they are not there. Something is not right.
Old 04-17-24, 04:15 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
So full charge and after sitting not driven and 4 days at 11.99V. At that rate doesn't sound like it would last a week. These cars are in such short supply that you couldn't even test one on the lot because they are not there. Something is not right.
No, not sitting for 4 days - driven 45 miles during those 4 days
pcm888usa (04-19-24)
Old 04-18-24, 08:43 AM
alextv
Instructor

No, not sitting for 4 days - driven 45 miles during those 4 days
Ok so charging some and comes down that low after 4 days. Sounds like excessive drain or software needs to change charging parameters. But to give you an example my 2020 ES300h measured yesterday at 12.22 and today at 12.2 so very little drop. Did a full charge 10 days ago. My drastic drop in drain happened when the trial subscriptions ran out so the constant transmission from DCM is the problem.
Old 04-18-24, 09:34 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I don't know if its excessive drain - I have turned off all the "Car-alerts" paraphernalia that SMartin in the other thread advised, including digital key. Unless there is a hardware/DCM that is bad, I'm not suspecting those car alerts to be causing the problem (since SMartin claimed he measured the current draw before and after he turned off these app/car settings, which led to a ~300 mA quiescent current draw to 28 mA for him, I believe).

So yes, it could be hardware module that is rogue - or it could very well be exactly what happened to SMartin - because of Lexus' idiotic 12 V charging design, the 12 V battery degraded to the point where it needs replacement because it won't hold charge.

(I'm almost wishing this had started earlier in my ownership, like 1st week, for me as well - so that I could've triggered a Lemon Law return like others are planning - Lexus will only pay attention when it hits the pocket book, hard. Or a lot of talk about it in the press, consumer reports, JD power etc. If it doesn't cost Lexus money and business, they won't care)
Old 04-18-24, 09:40 AM
pcm888usa
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if its excessive drain - I have turned off all the "Car-alerts" paraphernalia that SMartin in the other thread advised, including digital key. Unless there is a hardware/DCM that is bad, I'm not suspecting those car alerts to be causing the problem (since SMartin claimed he measured the current draw before and after he turned off these app/car settings, which led to a ~300 mA quiescent current draw to 28 mA for him, I believe).

So yes, it could be hardware module that is rogue - or it could very well be exactly what happened to SMartin - because of Lexus' idiotic 12 V charging design, the 12 V battery degraded to the point where it needs replacement because it won't hold charge.

(I'm almost wishing this had started earlier in my ownership, like 1st week, for me as well - so that I could've triggered a Lemon Law return like others are planning - Lexus will only pay attention when it hits the pocket book, hard. Or a lot of talk about it in the press, consumer reports, JD power etc. If it doesn't cost Lexus money and business, they won't care)
Lemon Law in California does not have time limit. If the same problem occurred 4 or more times or the vehicle spent over 30 days in the shop, Lemon law kicks. I registered complaint with Lexus ahead of time because my car was less than 1 month old when the problem occurs. I am hoping Lexus could honor a buy back as good faith. Is not, Lemon Law meter is running.
wrinkle (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 10:22 AM
alextv
Instructor

Lemon Law in California does not have time limit. If the same problem occurred 4 or more times or the vehicle spent over 30 days in the shop, Lemon law kicks. I registered complaint with Lexus ahead of time because my car was less than 1 month old when the problem occurs. I am hoping Lexus could honor a buy back as good faith. Is not, Lemon Law meter is running.
My son purchased a Ford truck here in NC that was a Ford buyback in California because of lemon law. We were told that in California you basically can turn the vehicle back in just by handing the keys back without any repercussions. Sure it is not that easy but a lot easier than here in NC.
The following 2 users liked this post by alextv:
pcm888usa (04-18-24), wrinkle (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 06:26 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

I suppose you mean that you registered complaint with Lexus corporate (not just with dealer) ? How did you do that ?

Quick Reply: Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)