RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

I have the same eyelet harness as jahnva, permanently attached to both of my 450h+ model's batteries in the cargo area. I also have a couple of charger plug extension cords to provide a little flexibility for charging, whether it is inside or outside the garage. Both batteries have a monitor attached to them, as well, so that I can see the resting SOC at any time on my iPhone. I don't always use the NOCO charger unless the SOC is very low. Putting the vehicle in READY mode for 30 to 45 minutes is enough time to bring the 12v battery up to a decent state.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

Stefanos, I have a volt meter in my 9 volt outlet up front by the wireless charger. Do you think that gives an accurate reading compared to your battery monitors? I figured those monitors add to the parasitic drain but it's probably minimal. My volt meter measures only 11.8 with just accessory mode, when the car starts it jumps up to 12-14 volts. I havn't charged the 9 volt in about a month and although 11.8 sounds low, it never has an issue starting. After I charge, it jumps up to the mid 12's but after a few days it settles back to 11.8 My guess is the battery is partly desulfated and will quit in a year or so.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
GeneralKlinger
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
CCGS has a much more exotic setup. I have an optional eyelet ($15-20) permanently attached to my battery. When I want to charge, I just connect the charger wire to this eyelet and run the wire out my right rear window.

NOCO GC008 X-Connect M10 XL Eyelet Terminal Accessory Genius Smart Battery Chargers

Running it out the window was what I planned on doing, until the fancier option showed up. CCGS is in Canada, and from the looks of it, that part is like $700 or more LOL I'd rather spend 70 on the Noco5 plus the accessory you mentioned and go that route. I also don't need to charge the battery every night, my wife drives it almost daily. Just on the stretches of time where we know we don't drive it for 2-3 days.
The following users liked this post:
Markfm (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Stefanos, I have a volt meter in my 9 volt outlet up front by the wireless charger. Do you think that gives an accurate reading compared to your battery monitors? I figured those monitors add to the parasitic drain but it's probably minimal. My volt meter measures only 11.8 with just accessory mode, when the car starts it jumps up to 12-14 volts. I havn't charged the 9 volt in about a month and although 11.8 sounds low, it never has an issue starting. After I charge, it jumps up to the mid 12's but after a few days it settles back to 11.8 My guess is the battery is partly desulfated and will quit in a year or so.
I have a volt meter in both cars, as well, so that I can further monitor the battery charging. These are plugged into the socket in the center console, which was previously called the cigarette lighter socket. In PARK position it normally reads 14.2 to 14.4v. When driving, it will usually drop to 12.6v, which is really not providing any real charge to the battery. On occasion, while driving, I have seen it jump up over 14v. I'm not certain what that is all about. They both seem to be accurate. The monitors which I have connected to the batteries only draw 1 mA, which is pretty insignificant so , I am not concerned.

Originally Posted by GeneralKlinger
Running it out the window was what I planned on doing, until the fancier option showed up. CCGS is in Canada, and from the looks of it, that part is like $700 or more LOL I'd rather spend 70 on the Noco5 plus the accessory you mentioned and go that route. I also don't need to charge the battery every night, my wife drives it almost daily. Just on the stretches of time where we know we don't drive it for 2-3 days.
I don't drive either car much either, both cars often sit for a day or more. The NOCO 5 works well and I don't have to use it often. Letting the car(s) sit in READY mode for 30 to 45 minutes is enough to bring them up to a decent SOC.

Last edited by kitlz; Yesterday at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahnjva (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
GeneralKlinger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I don't drive either car much either, both cars often sit for a day or more. The NOCO 5 works well and I don't have to use it often. Letting the car(s) sit in READY mode for 30 to 45 minutes is enough to bring them up to a decent SOC.
When you say ready mode, do you mean starting the car and letting it run for 30-45? Or is READY mode something else? I really don't want to have to let her car run LOL
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

When you say ready mode, do you mean starting the car and letting it run for 30-45? Or is READY mode something else? I really don't want to have to let her car run LOL
The 12v battery is charged from the Lithium battery pack in both of my cars. When you press the POWER button, the instrument panel illuminates and shows READY in a green rectangle. This is when your 12v will charge.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
Can not do this if garaged as ICE will come on to charge the hybrid battery.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
The HV engine will not start, if you have a PHEV. I have two of them and this has never occurred.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Running it out the window was what I planned on doing, until the fancier option showed up. CCGS is in Canada, and from the looks of it, that part is like $700 or more LOL
I don't think you can buy that part in the US, unless you are importing it. Then there is the question of installation by a US dealer, unless you are thinking DIY. So I gave up as well. It make sense that's its an option for Canadian weather because its not totally unreasonable to have it during Canadian winters, but I would love to see Lexus offer it to Texans and Californians - and all the reviewers/press would starting asking "why" ? Then the ball might start rolling, with all that public shaming

I keep the rear window cracked slightly open, and bought a 6 feet eyelet cable to run to the window from behind the rear-set (without drilling holes in the car etc). If you are interested in a hole in the car, you'll find posts by SMartin and others in the NX subforums who have taken that much trouble - making the hole in the plugin-charging inlet plastic.

Originally Posted by alextv
Folks here are talking about the 450H+ - if there is more than 30 % charge in the traction battery (say, 40 % or more), the ICE wouldn't come on, but the heat-pump will, unless you switch those off from the app. For any 350H (or 500H, now that there is at least one reported here), yes, there may be a good chance of the ICE coming on.
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
GeneralKlinger
Driver School Candidate

I talked with my wife tonight, and she wants to hold off on buying the Noco trickle charger. We are going on vacation next week and will be gone 8 days. This will be dead within 3, so when we get back, I'll have to get it jumped, then bring it to my dealer and from there, it's in their hands. My wife would rather pursue the lemon law than risk this being her long term car and having to plug in a battery every 2-3 nights. That shouldn't need to happen on a $76K SUV. We've never had that issue with any Toyota Hybrid over the last 8yrs that we've owned them. First time in a Lexus, and disappointed so far. The car itself is fantastic, but these ghost drain issues are bonkers.

In the end, it's her SUV, not mine (I drive a Wrangler 392) so if she doesn't want the hassle of plugging it in, then I will do everything in my power to get Lexus to fix this properly, or they'll buy it back. I have Lawyer friends LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by GeneralKlinger:
autotech13 (Today), CCGS (Yesterday), wrinkle (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

I talked with my wife tonight, and she wants to hold off on buying the Noco trickle charger. We are going on vacation next week and will be gone 8 days. This will be dead within 3, so when we get back, I'll have to get it jumped, then bring it to my dealer and from there, it's in their hands. My wife would rather pursue the lemon law than risk this being her long term car and having to plug in a battery every 2-3 nights. That shouldn't need to happen on a $76K SUV. We've never had that issue with any Toyota Hybrid over the last 8yrs that we've owned them. First time in a Lexus, and disappointed so far. The car itself is fantastic, but these ghost drain issues are bonkers.

In the end, it's her SUV, not mine (I drive a Wrangler 392) so if she doesn't want the hassle of plugging it in, then I will do everything in my power to get Lexus to fix this properly, or they'll buy it back. I have Lawyer friends LOL
If it were me, I would have done the exact same thing as your plan - its just that my specific car takes 26+ days to die without external charging, and I don't have the time/patience to go through the hassle of buying another car right now (even if I like Lucid a lot). I also like the RX450H+ a lot, except (a big except) for Lexus' lack of customer focus, so fully support your/wife's reasoning. This is my first Lexus, but also likely to be my last, given how things have gone with my Lexus experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by wrinkle:
autotech13 (Today), CCGS (Yesterday)