RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-24 | 01:06 PM
chuckNX
Advanced

Originally Posted by deaded
Our Lexus dealer is about five miles away. Lexus Concord (Northern California). They were not helpful on the phone and didn't offer anything like that. I didn't think to ask if they made house calls.
The number for roadside assistance is in the app.

Call 1-866-630-3002, they will send a tow truck and get you a loaner from the dealer.
Old 08-16-24 | 01:22 PM
charles267
Driver School Candidate

I had the same dead bad issue on the exact car you have 2024 450H+. The dealer tested the battery and it failed. They said it is a pretty common issue with new cars coming from Japan. They changed the battery, and I have not had the same dead battery issue.
Old 08-16-24 | 01:29 PM
deaded
Rookie

That's good to hear Charles. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-16-24 | 09:23 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

deaded,
Just an FYI. you can access the vehicle manual from the lexus appt.

1. hit remote
2. then hit info (under the picture of the car)
3. then hit glovebox
4. then hit Manuals and Warranties
5. then find your manual
Old 08-17-24 | 10:10 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

So WTF?? The car is a week old! Nothing was left on. Plenty of charge in the "traction" battery and I think it's really STUPID that the traction battery can't charge the main battery. We kept our one key fob over 30 feet from the car and I turn off the Lexus phone app when I'm not in the car. Now I have a brand new car with a dead battery and I know that they are going to want to just charge it and say everything is OK now, but it's not. A battery is never the same once it's been fully drained.
Understand your frustration and hope you get resolution soon.

Couple points, hopefully helps: Please insist on a detailed technical printed report of the battery if the dealer just tries to charge it and verbally state that the battery is okay. If the battery test report indicates (with measured numbers) that the battery is in good state, try to insist on a battery drain test at the dealer, where they have a protocol for it. Again, insist on a written report of the battery drain test.

There has been a few people with factory-defective battery, as well as a couple people with battery drain from garage-door opener (etc) in the car (check post by Smartin) - which is why I have not programmed the garage door opener in the car, and use a separate one clipped to my sun visor. I also do not use any aftermarket device like dash-cam or "paired" charger etc.

Finally, if your dealer does not co-operate, I can send you a PM about a Bay Area dealer and Service Advisor who are known to be helpful - you can try them, in case they are more helpful than your dealer. I researched on Reddit to find them (they are not the dealer who I bought from, as that dealer was atrociously bad), and with this dealer/SA at my 5K mile service they have been quite good.

I certainly hope you don't have to go through the torture of a buyback, regardless, its always good to keep a paper-trail, given Lexus and their dealers.
The following users liked this post:
deaded (08-17-24)
Old 08-17-24 | 12:02 PM
deaded
Rookie

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Finally, if your dealer does not co-operate, I can send you a PM about a Bay Area dealer and Service Advisor who are known to be helpful - you can try them, in case they are more helpful than your dealer. I researched on Reddit to find them (they are not the dealer who I bought from, as that dealer was atrociously bad), and with this dealer/SA at my 5K mile service they have been quite good.

I certainly hope you don't have to go through the torture of a buyback, regardless, its always good to keep a paper-trail, given Lexus and their dealers.
Thanks. I hope so too. I'd love the name and number of the helpful service advisor. I'm in Walnut Creek.
wrinkle (08-17-24)
Old 08-17-24 | 12:29 PM
websurfer
Racer

I just bought this beautiful 2024 white RX 450h+ last week and it was great. Yesterday I went to drive it and the doors would not open or even beep at me. Not even with the mechanical key, and yes, I know about pulling out that extra thing under the driver's side handle. I drove it the day before, the hybrid/traction battery was 50% and everything worked fine. I never leave anything on in the car and I even had turned off the headlight delay so it does not stay on for 30 sec and waste battery charge. We were completely locked out. We had two locksmiths come out and the AAA (all of them called by Lexus Roadside Assistance). Nobody could get in. One of the AAA guys wanted to put some kind of bladder between the doors and then blow it up until there was a gap they could stick a hanger or something through so they could scratch my the new leather. I would not let him. How can that not bend the metal in the car anyway?? I kept calling Lexus but they really were not helpful. They agreed it needed to be towed but AAA has a policy that they will not tow cars from inside a garage. I called Lexus back to tell them they needed to send out a non-AAA tow truck but they kept sending out AAA. What a clusterfork. I called my salesperson but he never called back. I finally gave up. We went to bed last night not knowing what we were going to do. Oh, yeah, and of course the user's manual was locked in the car! Good thing I had already read through all 650 pages.

I awoke this morning and gave it another try. Could not get in with the FOB, the real key, or the app which I uninstalled and re-installed. I played around for a while with that little lever under the handle with the mechanical key inserted in the lock and FINALLY it opened! (maybe it was too tight before and needed loosening?) Well, clearly the battery was dead. Completely. Luckily my wife is thin and was able to crawl over the back seats (even the back seats are electric only) into the "trunk" and then use a screwdriver to pry open the lock cover on the hatch, unscrew another cover, and then finally push another lever using a screwdriver to get the trunk open so we could access the battery. I called AAA and they came out and said that the battery is dead and I need a new one. So WTF?? The car is a week old! Nothing was left on. Plenty of charge in the "traction" battery and I think it's really STUPID that the traction battery can't charge the main battery. We kept our one key fob over 30 feet from the car and I turn off the Lexus phone app when I'm not in the car. Now I have a brand new car with a dead battery and I know that they are going to want to just charge it and say everything is OK now, but it's not. A battery is never the same once it's been fully drained.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the vehicle. Another dealer is Lexus of Pleasanton is closer but further than Lexus of Concord.

I would insist they replace the 12V under warranty. No excuse for a new vehicle to have a bad 12V battery. Some of the vehicle maybe sitting for a while before it sold so the battery already drained out.

I read from another forum that some 12V battery where having issues in another forum.
wrinkle (08-17-24)
Old 08-17-24 | 02:49 PM
deaded
Rookie

Well, Concord Lexus (Northern California) refused to replace the battery. They charged it and say it's fine. I say NO. I'm not leaving without a new battery. It's a BRAND NEW car!! I've escalated it and they are going to keep the car until we get this sorted out.
Old 08-17-24 | 07:36 PM
LexusConvert
2nd gear

Wow! Twice in the last 6-8 weeks my 2024 RX450h+ refused to start. Both times I was working with the charger (connecting/disconnecting) and thought my problem had something to do with that. The first time I called Lexus and they requested a tow truck. When that arrived, the car was suddenly working again. I opted to drive it to the dealer to have it checked out. It was due for the first complimentary service anyway. They did not find anything wrong. Then today it happened again. This time we left the car sitting for 4 hours and it was still not working. So I decided to do some research and found this thread. Based on what I read here, we jumped the battery and got the car started. I hope that Lexus is paying attention and doing something about this. I got my car on November 1, 2023, so I have had it just over 9 months. That is still WAAAY too soon for a battery to go bad. On Monday I will call the dealer and see what they have to say.
Thanks to everyone here for the great research!! I will be disabling the digital key which I never use anyway.
2018 Lexus RXhL
2024 Lexus RX 450h+ (PHEV)

Last edited by LexusConvert; 08-18-24 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-17-24 | 07:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus is never going to fix this problem.
autotech13 (08-18-24)
Old 08-17-24 | 08:30 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Lexus is never going to fix this problem.
I believe the same, unless this is found associated with a safety issue,so that NHTSA takes over, landing their regulatory boot on Lexus' rear-end. That's how the Tundra engine debris problem was "solved", by the NHTSA, not Lexus.

Or there is a class-action seeking highly significant damages, and its cheaper for Lexus to settle with the Class. As a condition for settlement, Lexus would have to fix this, so it'd in effect, be solved by the Class.
Old 08-17-24 | 08:33 PM
pcm888usa
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusConvert
Wow! Twice in the last 6-8 weeks my 2024 RX450h+ refused to start. Both times I was working with the charger (connecting/disconnecting) and thought my problem had something to do with that. The first time I called Lexus and they requested a tow truck. When that arrived, the car was suddenly working again. I opted to drive it to the dealer to have it checked out. It was due for the first complimentary service anyway. They did not find anything wrong. Then today it happened again. This time we left the car sitting for 4 hours and it was still not working. So I decided to do some research and found this thread. Based on what I read here, we jumped the battery and got the car started. I hope that Lexus is paying attention and doing something about this. I got my car on November 1, 2024, so I have had it just over 9 months. That is still WAAAY too soon for a battery to go bad. On Monday I will call the dealer and see what they have to say.
Thanks to everyone here for the great research!! I will be disabling the digital key which I never use anyway.
2018 Lexus RXhL
2024 Lexus RX 450h+ (PHEV)
I am sure you meant Nov 2023. Anyway, try not to delete the Lexus App. Trust me, since I am on the 3rd battery since March, there may be a bad batch of batteries.
autotech13 (08-18-24)
Old 08-18-24 | 11:44 AM
websurfer
Racer

Well, Concord Lexus (Northern California) refused to replace the battery. They charged it and say it's fine. I say NO. I'm not leaving without a new battery. It's a BRAND NEW car!! I've escalated it and they are going to keep the car until we get this sorted out.
I have been to the Concord dealership. I purchased a duh used car there also. Get another opinion. Sounds like this one is headed toward Lemon Law. Keep all your receipts and service records.
Old 08-18-24 | 12:23 PM
pcm888usa
Driver

Originally Posted by websurfer
I have been to the Concord dealership. I purchased a duh used car there also. Get another opinion. Sounds like this one is headed toward Lemon Law. Keep all your receipts and service records.
I was told by my service advisor the 2nd time you brought back the car for the same issue, they are obligated to elevate the diagnostic to search for the cause. Lexus wants to avoid Lemon Law and buy back at all cost. That’s why when I saw this Concord Lexus brushing customer off, it is surprising. Go to Lexus website, contact me and file a complaint. They will contact the service manager and see what the hack is going on. I have gone thru them. I finally got my problem resolved.
Old 08-18-24 | 12:25 PM
LexusConvert
2nd gear

Re: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11773892
Good catch on the date! I updated it. Sorry to hear that your replacement batteries have also failed. That is not a good sign.

Last edited by LexusConvert; 08-18-24 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added link to the post I was replying to

Quick Reply: Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)