RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 09:37 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerPups
Accessory mode for less than 10 minutes each time. Had battery replaced by dealership.
DId your dealership actually confirm that the 12 V battery went bad before replacing it ?

Looking to figure if your problems were actually rooted in defective battery, or was it just regular drain in accessory mode.

I'll be happy to find ny inputs on which Odyssey battery might be best to replace the stock 12 V with, when I run into problems with it (haven't so far, and got my jump starter in the glove box now)
Old 01-28-24, 09:38 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 519 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerPups
Accessory mode for less than 10 minutes each time. Had battery replaced by dealership.
My suggestion would be to never use Accessory mode in the future. As a famous admiral once said;

The following 3 users liked this post by WellsB:
autotech13 (01-29-24), CCGS (01-29-24), djrees (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 10:10 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrinkle
I'll be happy to find ny inputs on which Odyssey battery might be best to replace the stock 12 V with, when I run into problems with it (haven't so far, and got my jump starter in the glove box now)
Based on the measurements I made of my OEM battery, which are
9" 3/8 L
7" or 6" 7/8 W
7" 1/2 H
(not exact because I left the battery in the vehicle, but pretty close)

The OEM battery has 345 CCA and 60 Ah @ 20hr

The only Odyssey battery that I'm relatively sure would fit is the
ODYSSEY Performance battery
ODP-AGM47 H5 L2
(47-650 (LN2-H5))
https://www.odysseybattery.com/produ...attery-47-650/

The following 2 users liked this post by WellsB:
StefanoS (01-28-24), wrinkle (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 08:43 PM
tecdivingaccountant
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Well folks, it happened again this morning but this time the rear door was closed so I could not connect the booster directly to the battery. Knowing the issue is recurring, I was ready for that or at least I thought I was. Just like the manual suggested, I popped the hood and located the positive terminal. Since the cables on my booster are fairly short, I connected the negative to the first bare metal I found. Well.. It didn't work. The booster showed an error sign. I tried connecting to a different negative but to no avail. The manual clearly says it can be done so I found the page that has the battery failure troubleshooting (via Lexus app) but apparently that particular diagram is shown as blank on my iphone. I thought the app might be lagging but no, the official Lexus Canada website is also failing to show the diagram (I feel like this issue deserves its own thread).

Had no choice but to climb over the back seats to gain access to the battery and was able to boost the car right up.

Came home and looked up the same owners manual via my Windows computer and was finally able to see the picture. Lexus suggesting connecting the negative to a terminal on the other side of the car (Page 555). Unfortunately my booster does not reach that far. Might have to get an extension for at least one cable.

Any electricians here? Why can't any bare metal on the car be used as negative? Also If I manage to find an extension for my booster, does the wire need to be of the same diameter?

Old 01-28-24, 08:54 PM
tecdivingaccountant
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Owner's manual failing to show diagrams

While trying to boost my dead battery again, I found out that my booster is throwing an error when connecting to the closest negative. Quick search in the owner's manual suggested that there is a specific negative terminal that is meant to be used. The problem is that my iphone is not showing the diagram when searched from the Lexus app or via Lexus Canada website (Page 555). Same owner's manual used via a Windows computer shows all pages no problem.

Any other iphone/android users noticing the same issue? Apparently the battery troubleshooting is not the only diagram that I am not able to see via the Lexus app.

iphone screenshot.

Same page viewed via Windows PC.
Old 01-28-24, 09:01 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tecdivingaccountant
The manual clearly says it can be done so I found the page that has the battery failure troubleshooting (via Lexus app) but apparently that particular diagram is shown as blank on my iphone. I thought the app might be lagging but no, the official Lexus Canada website is also failing to show the diagram (I feel like this issue deserves its own thread).

Had no choice but to climb over the back seats to gain access to the battery and was able to boost the car right up.
I'm also looking to learn about the electrical connection issue from someone (my cables are also short) - and this is really painful to go through. However, I found out that the iphone or macs use the OS-built-in Preview software for the manual, which is causing the issue. If you install the Adobe Acrobat Reader (from Adobe.com) to the same iphone or mac, the diagrams are showing up fine. One less issue to worry about if you do that - so I guess the learning is install Adobe Acrobat on all phones, so that in a situation where you need to read the manual - all the details show up!
The following 2 users liked this post by wrinkle:
lexusnyca (01-29-24), tecdivingaccountant (01-29-24)
Old 01-28-24, 09:34 PM
WellsB
Advanced

The negative cable has to attach to ground. Not all bare metal is grounded. You would need to use a multimeter set to ohms to determine if a given point is attached to ground, with the other lead at the point in the engine indicated in the manual.

To be safest, the extension should be the same diameter as the jumper leads, though I doubt that maximum current would flow from the booster since a starter motor would not be drawing from it in this case.

I do wish Lexus had provided a ground near the positive terminal.

Last edited by WellsB; 01-28-24 at 09:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by WellsB:
StefanoS (01-30-24), tecdivingaccountant (01-29-24), websurfer (06-08-24), wrinkle (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 09:57 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WellsB
The negative cable has to attach to ground. Not all bare metal is grounded. You would need to use a multimeter set to ohms to determine if a given point is attached to ground, with the other lead at the point in the engine indicated in the manual.

To be safest, the extension should be the same diameter as the jumper leads, though I doubt that maximum current would flow from the booster since a starter motor would not be drawing from it in this case.

I do wish Lexus had provided a ground near the positive terminal.
I think you mean attach the multimeter/ohm-meter between the points D and anywhere near A (point B is on the other car/battery).

(Also, related to the image display problem - make sure you open the manual in Acrobat at least once after saving it in files of the iPhone - basically the manual pdf needs to be opened in the Acrobat app, not the Lexus or Apple/Preview app for the diagrams to show properly)

Old 01-28-24, 10:00 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Yes, point D from the manual. "b" was a typo.
Old 01-28-24, 10:53 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

And I'm posting what I posted in the Dead Battery thread:

"If you install the Adobe Acrobat Reader (from Adobe.com) to the same iphone or mac, the diagrams are showing up fine. One less issue to worry about if you do that - so I guess the learning is install Adobe Acrobat on all phones, so that in a situation where you need to read the manual - all the details show up!

Also, make sure you open the manual in Acrobat at least once after saving it in files of the iPhone - basically the manual pdf needs to be opened in the Acrobat app, not the Lexus or Apple/Preview app for the diagrams to show properly
"
The following users liked this post:
tecdivingaccountant (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 08:58 AM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tecdivingaccountant
Well folks, it happened again this morning but this time the rear door was closed so I could not connect the booster directly to the battery. Knowing the issue is recurring, I was ready for that or at least I thought I was. Just like the manual suggested, I popped the hood and located the positive terminal. Since the cables on my booster are fairly short, I connected the negative to the first bare metal I found. Well.. It didn't work. The booster showed an error sign. I tried connecting to a different negative but to no avail. The manual clearly says it can be done so I found the page that has the battery failure troubleshooting (via Lexus app) but apparently that particular diagram is shown as blank on my iphone. I thought the app might be lagging but no, the official Lexus Canada website is also failing to show the diagram (I feel like this issue deserves its own thread).

Came home and looked up the same owners manual via my Windows computer and was finally able to see the picture. Lexus suggesting connecting the negative to a terminal on the other side of the car (Page 555). Unfortunately my booster does not reach that far. Might have to get an extension for at least one cable.

Any electricians here? Why can't any bare metal on the car be used as negative? Also If I manage to find an extension for my booster, does the wire need to be of the same diameter?

Just tried my charger for first time and seems to work. I used the exposed bolt head just to the left of the positive terminal as per image. Regards-I HAVE NOW LEARNED THAT THIS BOLT IS NOT TO BE USED AS THE GROUND AS YOU CAN FRY YOUR ELECONTRICS. Sorry for the incorrect information.

Last edited by CCGS; 02-29-24 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Incorrect information
WellsB (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 09:54 AM
BytesU
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you "wrinkle" for that tip about Adobe Reader, I was wondering why some images were blank in the Lexus manual using Preview.

One more tip if people don't like the "all tools" sidebar showing in the default layout, you can choose from the Adobe Reader App menu View -> Disable New Acrobat Reader, than restart app.
wrinkle (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 10:06 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

Amazing that with all the accessories NOCO sells on their website, they don't sell a cable assembly with longer cables. I would buy the basic cable adapter a second time, cut the negative wire, and splice a new piece of wire (same gauge) into that leg to reach over. But you have to be able to strip wires and solder and then cover the splice points with some shrink sleeve to do a good job. Maybe someone makes a quick connector solution.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 01-30-24 at 11:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
autotech13 (01-30-24), StefanoS (01-30-24), WellsB (01-29-24)
Old 01-30-24, 07:09 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Amazing that with all the accessories NOCO sells on their website, they don't sell a cable assembly with longer cables. I would buy the basic cable adapter a second time, but the negative wire, and splice a new piece of wire (same gauge) into that leg to reach over. But you have to be able to strip wires and solder and then cover the splice points with some shrink sleeve to do a good job. Maybe someone makes a quick connector solution.
I basically did that with one the the extra Battery Tender cables I had. I build an extended version with their quick-disconnect. I haven't used it with the Lexus, but I have found it useful for other vehicles.

I should probably do a test-run with my RX so I am not trying to figure it out live.
FlopTop04 (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24, 07:49 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
I basically did that with one the the extra Battery Tender cables I had. I build an extended version with their quick-disconnect. I haven't used it with the Lexus, but I have found it useful for other vehicles.

I should probably do a test-run with my RX so I am not trying to figure it out live.

I did something similar but in the trunk at the 12 Volt battery. Here is a link to the post :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post11659711

Last edited by FlopTop04; 01-30-24 at 02:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlopTop04:
DEL92 (03-13-24), StefanoS (01-30-24)

Quick Reply: Dead 12v battery Incident (merged threads)