RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trailer lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-24, 11:39 AM
Den49
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
There are bolts behind the cargo net hooks that must be removed. Twist the hooks and they unlock.
Thanks again, and for the benefit of others who try this, below are pictures of the removed cargo hook and the 10mm bolt behind it.

Old 06-22-24, 12:47 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Den49
I ordered the Lexus Tow Converter PT725-48232 and the Curt 56083 Custom Wiring Connector. Below is a picture of what I received. I notice that the Lexus and Curt connectors are both female and are different sizes and configurations. They obviously don’t plug directly to each other. Before I disassemble the cargo area, I would appreciate if those who have done this could help with the below questions.

Do I have the right parts?

Are there two male connectors in the vehicle’s existing harness that the Lexus Tow Connector and the Curt connector plug into?

How does one remove the two-prong plastic hook that the upper loop of the cargo net hangs from?

Thanks.

Both parts are correct. Commodore's work-up is great. The Curt cable plugs into the intermediate harness plug which is above the underside of the bumper area on the passenger's side. The plug is covered by a grey plastic cap, which needs to be removed in order to install the Curt harness to the trailer 4 pin connection.
Once you have installed these two items, you will be good to go. I put these same two items in my 24 RX450h+ a few months ago. I just now, like 15 minutes ago, finished installing the Torklift Ecohitch that arrived at my house yesterday. I had tried the Curt hitch #13579, and found that it doesn't really fit in there, which surprised me. The area in which to mount a hitch on the Gen5 RX is very tight. The Torklift hitch is four separate pieces and works fairly well, despite the frustration of working in such a tight space.
AND....for those of you that are curious......The kick sensor, which needs to be temporarily removed for installation, works great, just as it did before the install.

Last edited by StefanoS; 06-24-24 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Den49 (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 02:56 PM
Den49
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
Both parts are correct. Commodore's work-up is great. The Curt cable plugs into the intermediate harness plug which is above the underside of the bumper area on the passenger's side. The plug is covered by a grey plastic cap, which needs to be removed in order to install the Curt harness to the trailer 4 pin connection.
Once you have installed these two items, you will be good to go. I put these same two items in my 24 RX450h+ a few months ago. I just now, like 15 minutes ago finished installing the Torklift Ecohitch that arrived at my house yesterday. I had tried the Curt hitch #13579, and found that it doesn't really fit in there, which surprised me. The area in which to mount a hitch on the Gen5 RX is very tight. The Torklift hitch is four separate pieces and works fairly well, despite the frustration of working in such a tight space.
AND....for those of you that are curious......The kick sensor, which needs to be temporarily removed for installation, works great, just as it did before the install.
Thanks for the information. BTW there is great instruction with pictures by mr1959 at post #56 of this thread Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
mr1959 recommends installing the Curt wire before installing the hitch because it is difficult to get to the connector after the hitch is installed.

I ordered the Torklift Ecohitch on June 17, 2024. How long did it take to get your Ecohitch, order date to delivery date?
Old 06-22-24, 03:53 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Den49
Thanks for the information. BTW there is great instruction with pictures by mr1959 at post #56 of this thread Can I add a 4-way or 7-way tow harness to my vehicle - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
mr1959 recommends installing the Curt wire before installing the hitch because it is difficult to get to the connector after the hitch is installed.

I ordered the Torklift Ecohitch on June 17, 2024. How long did it take to get your Ecohitch, order date to delivery date?
Ordered on 6/4 and received on 6/21.....so, 2 1/2 weeks. Their website says that all items that are in stock will ship in 1 to 3 days so, obviously, these are not a stock item and must be fabricated to order. After 14 days, I rattled their cage and asked for a tentative shipping date. Amazingly, I got an answer back the same day, saying that it would go out in the next few days. AND....Yup....install the Curt cable prior to the EcoHitch install, as there is little, or no room, to plug it in after the fact.

As an aside, count me in with those of you regarding the "towing package" components. I have been unable to find any heavy duty radiator, or additional transmission cooler for the RX models. The $160 add on is simply the Lexus tow converter and that is it, nothing more. The hybrids have no starter motor and no alternator, and other models that do have alternators, there just doesn't seem to be any option for any other variation. It seems that nobody at Lexus dealerships seems to know what's exactly in the tow package. Big surprise, huh?

Last edited by StefanoS; 06-24-24 at 07:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Den49 (06-23-24)
Old 06-24-24, 04:31 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

The tow package is the black box and nothing more.